GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Patient: I have read that particles of my artificial hip can wear off

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Patient: I have read that particles of my artificial hip can wear off  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 08:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:48) correct 42% (02:04) wrong based on 1064 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Patient: I have read that particles of my artificial hip can wear off and be absorbed by surrounding tissues. I believe that this is responsible for the discomfort that I am now experiencing.

Surgeon: Your surgery was so recent that with normal use it is almost impossible for the artificial hip to have already begun to wear away. The reason for your current discomfort is due to routine post-operative inflammation which can be treated with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the patient’s position regarding her discomfort?

(A) The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities.

(B) The inflammation that is common to people who have had replacement hip replacement surgery often needs to be treated with more potent drugs than the ones being recommended by the surgeon.

(C) The patient has an artificial hip that is made of a material that can begin to wear out after a few weeks when exposed to temperatures higher than 200 degrees.

(D) The patient read about the possibility of artificial hips wearing out in a respected medical journal.

(E) The surgeon has only been performing hip-replacement surgery for less than a year.

Solution: A

Explanation: The surgeon explains that it is almost impossible for the artificial hip to wear away so soon WITH NORMAL USE. However, if the patient was inappropriately engaged in vigorous activities, particles of her hip may very well be wearing off.

(B) The question is what is causing the discomfort, not how to treat it.

(C) There is no reason to think that the patient could have been exposed to such an extreme temperature.

(D) This lends strength to the idea that artificial hips CAN wear away, but does not strengthen the proposition that this is what happened to her.

(E) The surgeon’s lack of experience does not necessarily weaken his position or strengthen the patient’s.

If you like my post Kudos Please

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Patient: I have read that particles of my artificial hip can wear off  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 23:55
Patient: I have read that particles of my artificial hip can wear off and be absorbed by surrounding tissues. I believe that this is responsible for the discomfort that I am now experiencing.
Surgeon: Your surgery was so recent that with normal use it is almost impossible for the artificial hip to have already begun to wear away. The reason for your current discomfort is due to routine post-operative inflammation which can be treated with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the patient’s position regarding her discomfort?

P: Wearing-off of hip ---> Discomfort (WOH ---> DC) [ X --> Y ]
S: No, Post-operative Inflammation ---> Discomfort (POI ---> DC) [ No, Z --> Y ]

We have to strengthen the P's claim that WOH ---> DC

A) The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities.
- Not following the PO instuctions --->Wearing-off of Hip ---> Discomfort [P ---> X ---> Y]
It is in-line with our reasoning hence correct.

B) The inflammation that is common to people who have had replacement hip replacement surgery often needs to be treated with more potent drugs than the ones being recommended by the surgeon - Strengthen Surgeon claim.
C) The patient has an artificial hip that is made of a material that can begin to wear out after a few weeks when exposed to temperatures higher than 200 degrees - No mention of effects of high temperature.
D) The patient read about the possibility of artificial hips wearing out in a respected medical journal - Authenticity of source of patient's reading is not in question. The actual reason of discomfort after reading article is the issue.
E) The surgeon has only been performing hip-replacement surgery for less than a year - OFS.

Kudos please..... :wink:

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Patient: I have read that particles of my artificial hip can wear off  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 09:54
A,

for those who put C as an answer, who can expose his/her hip to 200 degrees and still come out good!
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 09:58
A it is: The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities.----------------->option A tells us that there is a possibility that the patient might have done some vigorous activities and hence the damage might have occurred .the patient is contending that the wear might have occurred . he has never said that the fact that he has been doing "normal" things has led to that wear ! in fact it the doctor who is proclaiming that fact
MBA Blogger
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 05:55
aashu4uiit wrote:

The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities.

The inflammation that is common to people who have had replacement hip replacement surgery often needs to be treated with more potent drugs than the ones being recommended by the surgeon.

The patient has an artificial hip that is made of a material that can begin to wear out after a few weeks when exposed to temperatures higher than 200 degrees.

The patient read about the possibility of artificial hips wearing out in a respected medical journal.

The surgeon has only been performing hip-replacement surgery for less than a year.

The answer must strengthen the patient's position, not doctor's position. Option A is strengthening the doctors position as doctor has the reason why patient is feeling discomfort. And patient has no reason to doctor that doctor did something wrong with the surgery.
Explanation needed for the Answer!! :?

KUDOS please!! If it helped. :)
Warm Regards.
Visit My Blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 11:11
scofield1521 wrote:
aashu4uiit wrote:

The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities.

The inflammation that is common to people who have had replacement hip replacement surgery often needs to be treated with more potent drugs than the ones being recommended by the surgeon.

The patient has an artificial hip that is made of a material that can begin to wear out after a few weeks when exposed to temperatures higher than 200 degrees.

The patient read about the possibility of artificial hips wearing out in a respected medical journal.

The surgeon has only been performing hip-replacement surgery for less than a year.

The answer must strengthen the patient's position, not doctor's position. Option A is strengthening the doctors position as doctor has the reason why patient is feeling discomfort. And patient has no reason to doctor that doctor did something wrong with the surgery.
Explanation needed for the Answer!! :?

i agree with scofield......the answer is not convincing at all.....
the patient says that his discomfort is due to artificial hip wearing out..... the doctor says ... sorry ...your hip hasnt started wearing out.....there must be other reason for inflamation....
how can the patients statement be strengthened.......
example.....1. as per reports of scientists of NASA artificial hip tends to wear out immediately on being worn...
2. the material used in the artificial hip is highly reactive with the surrounding tissues.....
3. use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug did not help in reduction of inflamation in sample cases......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2014, 10:04
aashu4uiit wrote:

Hi karishma,

Could you pls explain this.

Regards,
Ammu
Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2014, 21:32
AbuRashid wrote:
A,

for those who put C as an answer, who can expose his/her hip to 200 degrees and still come out good!

Well... if it is Fahrenheit degrees it will be around half as bad as if it is Celsius...
Just kidding...

Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2015, 09:20
After scanning options multiple times the best I could think of was (E)

I hope we don't get such questions on the actual test!
Intern
Intern
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 08:50
Apparently option A strengthens the doctor's reasoning. The patient wouldn't have asked if she knowed the cause
I encountered this question in the Veritas CAT and had to pick C because none of the remaining made sense. Meanwhile it could very well be 200 F degrees :P
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 02:52
Hi,

The doctor says:"with normal use it is almost impossible for the artificial hip to have already begun to wear away"

Option A says that the patient did not follow the limits recommended on rigorous activity(basically going against the doctor/strengthening the patient's argument)..hence it is likely that the artificial hip has worn off.

Hence A.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 08:24
Thanks for the responses guys.

Quote:
One way to STRENGTHEN the patient's conclusion is to WEAKEN the surgeon's conclusion.
The surgeon contends that with NORMAL USE it is almost impossible for the artificial hip to have already begun to wear away.
Answer choice A: The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities.
If the patient has engaged in vigorous activities -- the opposite of NORMAL USE -- then the surgeon CANNOT conclude that the artificial hip has not begun to wear away.
The result: the patient's contention that particles from the artificial hip are the reason for her pain is STRENGTHENED.

The correct answer is A.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Other
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 12:00
souvik101990 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Quote:
One way to STRENGTHEN the patient's conclusion is to WEAKEN the surgeon's conclusion.
The surgeon contends that with NORMAL USE it is almost impossible for the artificial hip to have already begun to wear away.
Answer choice A: The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities.
If the patient has engaged in vigorous activities -- the opposite of NORMAL USE -- then the surgeon CANNOT conclude that the artificial hip has not begun to wear away.
The result: the patient's contention that particles from the artificial hip are the reason for her pain is STRENGTHENED.

The correct answer is A.

I do not understand! Same reasoning can be applied with option (C).

Option C: The patient has an artificial hip that is made of a material that can begin to wear out after a few weeks when exposed to temperatures higher than 200 degrees.
Getting exposed to temperature higher than 200 degrees is the opposite of NORMAL USE-- then the surgeon CANNOT conclude that the artificial hip has not begun to wear away.

Thus, same reasoning can be applied with option (C) as well.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 11:05
GMATNinja: your pearls of wisdom on this question.

I reached A by PoE but I agree with others. I was wondering if option (A) strengthened patient's PoV (point of view).

Patient thinks that there is something with the material but doctor suggests that "with Normal use" nothing could go wrong so soon. It is just an inflammation.

Option A says that it was not normal use. Since it is not normal use - can we isolate that to patient's PoV since she believes there is an issue with the material?

Let me know if I am overthinking this scenario.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 14:48
C, surgeon: your @$$ is on fire
patient: it's a dry heat!
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2017, 17:57
warriorguy wrote:

I reached A by PoE but I agree with others. I was wondering if option (A) strengthened patient's PoV (point of view).

Patient thinks that there is something with the material but doctor suggests that "with Normal use" nothing could go wrong so soon. It is just an inflammation.

Option A says that it was not normal use. Since it is not normal use - can we isolate that to patient's PoV since she believes there is an issue with the material?

Let me know if I am overthinking this scenario.

The surgeon says "Your surgery was so recent that with normal use it is almost impossible for the artificial hip to have already begun to wear away". Here, the surgeon considers normal use when he states that wear off is not the cause. A states that the patient has involved in rigorous activities. So the artificial hip may have worn away.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 00:00
Thanks Vyshak.

So the focus is that the material did actually wear off and it is inflammation. It is not some inflammation as surgeon suggested.

Since the effect is true i.e discomfort due to wear off, so patient's stand is strengthened.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 09:50

(A) The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities. since the doctor says that the hip would not wear in normal usage but this point suggests that the patient has been doing regorous work. and thus the patient may be correct.

(B) The inflammation that is common to people who have had replacement hip replacement surgery often needs to be treated with more potent drugs than the ones being recommended by the surgeon.

(C) The patient has an artificial hip that is made of a material that can begin to wear out after a few weeks when exposed to temperatures higher than 200 degrees.surviving in 200 degree is not possible.

(D) The patient read about the possibility of artificial hips wearing out in a respected medical journal.this supports but only to some extent and not entirely because the the case of the patient may be differetn and may not specificaly match to the case in the medical journal.

(E) The surgeon has only been performing hip-replacement surgery for less than a year.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2018, 04:56
My POE as below.

(A) The patient has not followed the post-operative instructions she was given regarding how much time she should spend engaged in vigorous activities. This choice gives a hint that patient would have been engaged in more vigorous activities than recommended and hence his artificial hip started to wear out. :) Makes sense.

(B) The inflammation that is common to people who have had replacement hip replacement surgery often needs to be treated with more potent drugs than the ones being recommended by the surgeon. Whether more potent drugs or those recommended by the surgeon, patient's argument is not supported here. Hence wrong choice.
(C) The patient has an artificial hip that is made of a material that can begin to wear out after a few weeks when exposed to temperatures higher than 200 degrees. Cannot be judged if the patient had been exposed to 200 F or C ;) Need outside information. Hence wrong.
(D) The patient read about the possibility of artificial hips wearing out in a respected medical journal. Though what was mentioned in the journal could be right about the particles of artificial hip, Surgeon's argument could still be valid. Hence this choice is wrong.
(E) The surgeon has only been performing hip-replacement surgery for less than a year. Surgeon could be well trained to perform the surgery better than many other experienced surgeons in the industry. Hence no supporting the patient's argument and wrong choice.

Just restarted my GMAT life. KUDOs please :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2018, 05:22
The surgeon explains that it is almost impossible for the artificial hip to wear away so soon WITH NORMAL USE. However, if the patient was inappropriately engaged in vigorous activities, particles of her hip may very well be wearing off.

(B) The question is what is causing the discomfort, not how to treat it.

(C) There is no reason to think that the patient could have been exposed to such an extreme temperature.

(D) This lends strength to the idea that artificial hips CAN wear away, but does not strengthen the proposition that this is what happened to her.

(E) The surgeon’s lack of experience does not necessarily weaken his position or strengthen the patient’s.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Patient: I have read that particles of my artificial hip can wear off &nbs [#permalink] 02 Sep 2018, 05:22

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Patient: I have read that particles of my artificial hip can wear off

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap