GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Pending promotion - pending promotion and overload of apps in R2

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Pending promotion - pending promotion and overload of apps in R2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 13:07
Hello forum!

I need some advice on the following situation...

I am currently on track to get a promotion from my manager. I spoke to him regarding my development and what I need to complete before the promotion happens - he is aware of my MBA goals. Relevant details are below.

2.6 GPA from top UC major in management science
2 years as FA for boutique investment firm (exp in finding seed capital for in-house built concepts and rolling it out. also built concepts re: finance and biz plan. some failed, some succeeded. lots of consulting)
1 year split with investment analyst for real estate firm and auditing at top 30 public acct firm
Pre-acquisition company - 7 months as FA 1 , 1 month as FA 2
Post- acquisition company (top in HR space) - currently an FA for 19 months, Sr. FA promotion on the cusp

My issues here that i need advice on is

1) Should i push all my apps to round 2 so that i could put my SR FA title on my app? that would make 6 schools that i would apply to in January.
2) I do know that you can update schools on promotions and what not. Given that my GPA profile is not that strong (2.6gpa) i am afraid that not putting the SR. FA role to start with would hurt my chances at other parts of my app not being considered for review. Thoughts?
3) i heard top schools automatically ding R2 if GMAT is below a 700. - i got a 690. so i am wary of applying in R2. Can you confirm or give color on this?

Any other relevant advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks team!
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Pending promotion - pending promotion and overload of apps in R2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2018, 13:43
Hi grenneth90042,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I have answered your questions below:

1) Should i push all my apps to round 2 so that i could put my SR FA title on my app? that would make 6 schools that i would apply to in January. I would recommend that you not wait for the promotion. If your application is strong, the SR FA is not a deal breaker in your admissions, and you can update your application once you receive the official promotion. This way you take advantage of the early rounds where possible.
2) I do know that you can update schools on promotions and what not. Given that my GPA profile is not that strong (2.6gpa) i am afraid that not putting the SR. FA role to start with would hurt my chances at other parts of my app not being considered for review. Thoughts? Your application is viewed holistically. Your promotion is not the only strong point in your profile, so I would focus on those details.
3) i heard top schools automatically ding R2 if GMAT is below a 700. - i got a 690. so i am wary of applying in R2. Can you confirm or give color on this? To be frank, top schools ding candidates with good GMAT scores as well (I am talking about a 750 GMAT score). Take the time to look at your profile, apply to schools in both R1 and R2. With a 690 GMAT and 2.6 GPA, top schools will be a challenge unless you bring something extraordinary to the school and the cohort, with or without a promotion.

I am happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please reach out to schedule a free 30-minute consultation (contact details in signature).

Good luck!

grenneth90042 wrote:
Hello forum!

I need some advice on the following situation...

I am currently on track to get a promotion from my manager. I spoke to him regarding my development and what I need to complete before the promotion happens - he is aware of my MBA goals. Relevant details are below.

2.6 GPA from top UC major in management science
2 years as FA for boutique investment firm (exp in finding seed capital for in-house built concepts and rolling it out. also built concepts re: finance and biz plan. some failed, some succeeded. lots of consulting)
1 year split with investment analyst for real estate firm and auditing at top 30 public acct firm
Pre-acquisition company - 7 months as FA 1 , 1 month as FA 2
Post- acquisition company (top in HR space) - currently an FA for 19 months, Sr. FA promotion on the cusp

My issues here that i need advice on is

1) Should i push all my apps to round 2 so that i could put my SR FA title on my app? that would make 6 schools that i would apply to in January.
2) I do know that you can update schools on promotions and what not. Given that my GPA profile is not that strong (2.6gpa) i am afraid that not putting the SR. FA role to start with would hurt my chances at other parts of my app not being considered for review. Thoughts?
3) i heard top schools automatically ding R2 if GMAT is below a 700. - i got a 690. so i am wary of applying in R2. Can you confirm or give color on this?

Any other relevant advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks team!

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Re: Pending promotion - pending promotion and overload of apps in R2 &nbs [#permalink] 23 Jul 2018, 13:43

Pending promotion - pending promotion and overload of apps in R2

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap