Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.12
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Re: People of gmatclub. need a little help in deciding schools! [#permalink]
emailrhoads wrote:
disclosure: I attended one of these schools

Its hard to give you advice other than to say you should share more about where you want to go in your career and grow as a person.

With your background you can get into any of these schools, depending on your ability to share a cohesive story and some of the idiosyncrasies of your application.

Long Term:
Do you have a particular change you want to make in the world?
Why would business school help you achieve that change?
What resources do you think you want to use to make that change tangible?
Which of the schools might better connect you with those resources?

Short Term:
Where do you want to work geographically? Which school might best help you get there?
What company do you want to work for?
etc.

All great schools with different strengths. Consider reflecting a little more on where you are headed and restating your goals (not your credentials) to get a more helpful answer from the community.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back. After school, I am only looking at getting a strategy consultancy job, pay off the loan - then take it forward from there. Cali/LA might be a couple of awesome places to work in - good weather- I wouldn't want to go anywhere too cold.

In long term, particularly about the change I want to be in the world, might sound like a douche, but haven't figured any of that stuff out !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
BazingAu wrote:
vibsaxena wrote:
GPA - 6.3/10

Are you in India? (I am not familiar with the 10 scale.) Why did you choose the list that you did already? Did you want to be in a specific geographic region? Or was it strictly due to practice areas?

Hi u\BazingAu,

I did study in India. Sucky undergrad system evaluated grades in the scales of 10, 8, 6, 4 - therefore got screwed in the pointer department.

Chose the list because the each of the programs is interesting- and I don't think I have a shot in the top 7 or 10. Geography does come into picture- I don't want to be at a place that is too cold, and the school's placements in the consulting vertical are always a big plus!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
Send PM
vibsaxena wrote:
BazingAu wrote:
vibsaxena wrote:
GPA - 6.3/10

Are you in India? (I am not familiar with the 10 scale.) Why did you choose the list that you did already? Did you want to be in a specific geographic region? Or was it strictly due to practice areas?

Hi u\BazingAu,

I did study in India. Sucky undergrad system evaluated grades in the scales of 10, 8, 6, 4 - therefore got screwed in the pointer department.

Chose the list because the each of the programs is interesting- and I don't think I have a shot in the top 7 or 10. Geography does come into picture- I don't want to be at a place that is too cold, and the school's placements in the consulting vertical are always a big plus!

I'm not sure what your evaluation of top 7-10 is. Anderson is one of the best MBA programs when it comes to Tech, and I hear, it is competitive. Same with Haas. Also, If you are looking at lists, I have to say that the difference between a school at 9th, and a school at 12 is very minimal overall.

My suggestion is to look into the employment reports of the schools. For example, you have Kelley on your list; a great program that places regional outside of CPG/Brand Mgmt. Would that fit your goals?

If you are dead set on staying in Tech, the Cali schools will serve you well. I've heard that USC also places well in Tech, though I haven't done much research into them myself.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Tuck '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
vibsaxena wrote:
Hello everyone,

Could you please take two minutes of your time to help your fellow man? :)

Let me give a real brief intro about myself:
GMAT score - 730
GPA - 6.3/10
Work-ex - 2.5 years, till now. will be 3 the time I join in any university. Working as an analyst in one of the big 4 Consultancies.
Co-curricular - president, college press club and captain of football team.

I had been concentrating hard on just giving my exam and now that it is done, I am having a real tussle in finalizing a school. I have a very good record in the work I have done with my company over the last couple of years, and want to pursue Tech Consulting, or Strategy and Operations. Have done work in the field of Data Analytics as well.

I am thinking of Anderson, Kelley, McCombs, Sloan(long shot?), Haas, Cornell - but am not able to just put my finger on which all should I go for, and this is not letting me write the essays.

Can you please help me decide?

Thanks ! : )

Hi,
I came across this post of yours today and I share a very similar profile.

I am facing a similar dilemma of trying to chose some of the colleges to apply to. I would be grateful if you can share your experience with me and suggest some colleges/criteria? You could PM me your response. Thanks in advance :)

Details --
Workex of 18 months, would be exactly 3 years by the time I join an MBA program. GMAT of 730 and GPA of 6.3. Working as a Data Analyst in Accenture Management Consulting right now and looking forward to an MBA program that would help me get into a Strategy Consulting firm. Looking at UCLA as a promising 'fit' option. Majorly concerned with the considerably short workex.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived UCLA Anderson Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our UCLA Anderson Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated UCLA Anderson Forum for all fresh things related to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts