Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8530 [59]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [12]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 896 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [1]
Send PM
Re: People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in [#permalink]
Kudos
anc C.

look at the final statement "since this is precisely how people who are confident in their own abilities regard such tasks." u hv to find relation bet'n "people who are confident in their own abilities" and "think of a difficult task as a challenge rather than a threat" for the arg to follow logically. so the last part of the prev 2 statements are connected,so u hv to connect the first part of the two prev statements : "People who do not believe that others distrust them " and "people who tend to trust others ". this is done only in option C , in reverse order.

its very simple !!! :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance
 Q49  V19 GMAT 2: 620  Q44  V31
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Send PM
Re: People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in [#permalink]
Kudos
Got it right in 3:38 Min.Thanks for a good question.
i Solved it in this way............
As the question says
People(do not believe that others distrust them)----> confident in their own abilities (1)
People(who tend to trust others)------> take difficult task as a challenge (2)
Conclusion=== > Confident people ---> take difficult task as challenge

Conclusion is the right part of (1) and (2)

So left part of (1) and (2) should be equal ,and that is what (c) is telling.

Consider KUDOS if it helped u in some way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
I did it in just a min and 1o sec.
It helps to scribble when things gets clouded in CR.

Here an example:
Attachment:
trust.jpg
trust.jpg [ 11.42 KiB | Viewed 15506 times ]

(A) People who believe that others distrust them tend to trust others.
Ok..look at figure.. some [color=#BF0040]don't trust I...but I trust some.. can't produce in diagram..NO!.[/color]

(B) Confidence in one’s own abilities gives one confidence in the trustworthiness of others.
This is reverse of upper diagram. But, the flow is one-sided.can't conclude...NO!.

(C) People who tend to trust others do not believe that others distrust them.
Diagram says.."I trust others and others trust me". Thats wat given here(People who trust others, believe others trust them) and thats my answer. I wont go any further!

(D) People who are not threatened by difficult tasks tend to find such tasks challenging.
(E) People tend to distrust those who they believe lack self-confidence.

Hope, it helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2721 [0]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Here is how I solved this, drew a map:

Premise 1: NOT Believe others DISTRUST you = CONFIDENT
Premise 2: CONFIDENT ---> task = challenge

Conclusion: TRUST others ---> task=challenge.

So we need to equate premises and the conclusion. task=challenge means you are confident hence conclusion becomes: TRUST others = CONFIDENT = NOT Believe others DISTRUST you.. Answer C bridges the gap.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
It is always better to simplify what the argument is trying to say.

1st sentence - Don't believe that others distrust them --> Confident in their own abilities
2nd sentence - trust others --> view difficult tasks as a challenge (note that this is the main conclusion of the argument. Also, note the conclusion indicator 'so').
3rd sentence - confident in their abilities --> view difficult tasks as a challenge (note that this is a premise. note the premise indicator 'since').

We can combine the 1st sentence and the 3rd sentence to yield the premise -

Don't believe that others distrust them --> confident in their abilities --> view difficult tasks as a challenge.

The conclusion is -

tend to trust others --> view difficult tasks as a challenge.

Assumption is something that ties the premise to the conclusion. We have to find the link between the LHS ("trust others") to RHS ("view difficult tasks as a challenge").

One way to do this is to tie "trust others" to " don't believe that others distrust them" so that the conclusion naturally follows from the link.
Which answer option states this? Option C.

A - we are concerned with people who don't believe that others distrust them not the other way round.
B - states 'confidence in their own abilities --> confidence in trustworthiness of others' - this links the 2nd statement in the premise to the first statement in the conclusion. Incorrect. We need something that links the LHS to RHS in the conclusion statement.
C - correct answer.
D - the conclusion is this - "people who trust others view difficult tasks as a challenge rather than a threat" - this does not mean that all people who are not threatened by difficult tasks view them as challenge. Also, a restatement of the conclusion is not an assumption.
E - we are concerned with people who don't believe that others distrust them. We are not concerned with all people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Spovil wrote:
People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in their own abilities, so people who tend to trust others think of a difficult task as a challenge rather than a threat, since this is precisely how people who are confident in their won abilities regard such tasks.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?
(A) People who believe that others distrust them tend to trust others.
(B) Confidence in one’s own abilities gives one confidence in the trustworthiness of others.
(C) People who tend to trust others do not believe that others distrust them.
(D) People who are not threatened by difficult tasks tend to find such tasks challenging.
(E) People tend to distrust those who they believe lack self-confidence.

My analysis is below.
Conc: P who trust others: Dif task = challenge
Basis of Conc (BofC): P who are confident in their own abilities: Dif task = challenge
P1: P who believe that O trust P : Confident in their own abilities

As showed above. the different colors highlights the linkages between the different parts of the argument. So, In order for the conclusion to be true, we need to establish the linkage (assumption) between P1 and the Conclusion.
A valid assumption would be that P who trust others believe that others trust them. (Option C is correct)
If we negate it: "P who trust others don't believe that others trust them" breaks the conclusion.

A) Incorrect. We are not concern about people who believe that others distrust them (different group of people is mention in the argument: people who do not believe that others distrust them = people who believe that other trust them)

B) Incorrect. This links P1 with the BofC. We need a linkage with the Conclusion.

D) OFS. Argument is not concerned with this group of people threatened by a task. Argument just talks about that the target group of people consider difficult tasks as a challenge rather than a threat.

E) OFS. this option makes a general assumption about all people.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
People who think others trust them are confident. People who are confident and hence deal with difficult tasks as a challenge rather than threat therefore trust others. This implies author thinks people who think others trust them trust other people also.
A. This goes opposite to the required assumption.
B. Here Trust —-> confidence, not the other way round. Cause and effect have been reversed in the choice.
C. This says exactly what we hypothesised.
D. People who are confident tend to think of difficult tasks as challenges. The choice is only a part of the argument.
E. Nothing in the passage says anything about what kind if people are distrusted.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hello, there is something I want to learn about the question and I am writing to get information about the general LSAT style on the occasion of this question.

I keep thinking about the role of the word "so" in the discussion. For example, how would that affect the argument if it wasn't "so", would it make the question more difficult than it is? Because that's what made the "C" option appealing to me. Please keep me informed about this issue.

Thank you!

AndrewN GMATNinja

Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Cincos5 wrote:
Hello, there is something I want to learn about the question and I am writing to get information about the general LSAT style on the occasion of this question.

I keep thinking about the role of the word "so" in the discussion. For example, how would that affect the argument if it wasn't "so", would it make the question more difficult than it is? Because that's what made the "C" option appealing to me. Please keep me informed about this issue.

Thank you!

AndrewN GMATNinja

Hello, Cincos5. The answer to your question is that so is acting as a conjunction. (It happens to represent the s in the acronym FANBOYS that is often taught to American students to help them remember common conjunctions.) Without the word, the sentence would need to be written somewhat differently to remain grammatical. For instance, a period or semicolon could be placed where you currently see a comma after abilities. Even written this way, the straight-arrow logic would still point to (C). There are two overlapping pieces of information that allow the same conclusion to be drawn, as explained by others above.

Perhaps that helps with your query. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Can u pls tell the difference between option B and C
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

B and C are connecting very different concepts. The issue is less in what's different between B and C, and more in what is missing from the argument.

First, notice that the conclusion is in the middle, followed by another premise introduced by SINCE. Each of the statements is conditional (if this, then that), so I'll show that connection with arrows.

Premises:
Don't think people mistrust --> Confident in abilities
Confident in abilities --> See difficulty as challenge

Notice that one premise leads right into another, like this:

Don't think people mistrust --> Confident in abilities --> See difficulty as challenge

So by combining the premises, we already know that people who don't feel mistrusted will see difficulties as challenges.

However, what does the conclusion say?

Trust others --> See difficulty as challenge

We don't know anything about trusting others! We just know about people who don't think others mistrust them. So we need to connect those. We need this:

Trust others --> Don't think people mistrust

That's exactly what C says. With that assumption in place, we have a complete logical chain that fits the conclusion:

Trust others --> Don't think people mistrust --> Confident in abilities --> See difficulty as challenge

B, on the other hand, gives us something entirely different. Confident in abilities --> Confidence in trustworthiness of others. That's nothing like what we're looking for.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts