GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Oct 2018, 01:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:12) correct 54% (02:25) wrong based on 414 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in their own abilities, so people who tend to trust others think of a difficult task as a challenge rather than a threat, since this is precisely how people who are confident in their won abilities regard such tasks.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) People who believe that others distrust them tend to trust others.

(B) Confidence in one’s own abilities gives one confidence in the trustworthiness of others.

(C) People who tend to trust others do not believe that others distrust them.

(D) People who are not threatened by difficult tasks tend to find such tasks challenging.

(E) People tend to distrust those who they believe lack self-confidence.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Originally posted by noboru on 23 Sep 2009, 12:19.
Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Oct 2018, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Re: People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2010, 19:51
Hey All,

For your interest, I just gave an explanation of this question type in another post: cr-shy-adolescents-90490.html.

More or less, this is an assumption question that fits into the category "Logic Gap", in which a syllogism is missing one of its pieces (see the link above if you don't understand what that means).

When you see this pattern appear, really make an effort to predict the answer (the correct answer will always match your prediction; there isn't a lot of room to maneuver in logic gap questions).

Conclusion: People who trust others are confident
Premise: People who believe others trust them are confident
Assumption: People who believe others trust them also trust others

We can see this assumption coming as clearly as if the argument looked like this:

Conclusion: Whatever is behind that door is awesome.
Premise: Talking monkeys are awesome.

Obviously, the assumption would be: there are talking monkeys behind that door.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2009, 05:45
noboru wrote:
16. People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in their own abilities, so people who tend to trust others think of a difficult task as a challenge rather than a threat, since this is precisely how people who are confident in their won abilities regard such tasks.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?
(B) Confidence in one’s own abilities gives one confidence in the trustworthiness of others.
(D) People who are not threatened by difficult tasks tend to find such tasks challenging.

Tricky one, but see phrases as a whole.
We have:
evidence
People who do not believe that others distrust them = confident in their own abilities
A=B

conclusion
people who tend to trust others = confident in their won abilities
C=B

Hence the needed assumtion is A=C:
People who do not believe that others distrust them = people who tend to trust others

So, the answer is C
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2010, 13:36
anc C.

look at the final statement "since this is precisely how people who are confident in their own abilities regard such tasks." u hv to find relation bet'n "people who are confident in their own abilities" and "think of a difficult task as a challenge rather than a threat" for the arg to follow logically. so the last part of the prev 2 statements are connected,so u hv to connect the first part of the two prev statements : "People who do not believe that others distrust them " and "people who tend to trust others ". this is done only in option C , in reverse order.

its very simple !!! :lol:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2010, 08:06
Got it right in 3:38 Min.Thanks for a good question.
i Solved it in this way............
As the question says
People(do not believe that others distrust them)----> confident in their own abilities (1)
People(who tend to trust others)------> take difficult task as a challenge (2)
Conclusion=== > Confident people ---> take difficult task as challenge

Conclusion is the right part of (1) and (2)

So left part of (1) and (2) should be equal ,and that is what (c) is telling.

Consider KUDOS if it helped u in some way.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2010, 22:12
I did it in just a min and 1o sec.
It helps to scribble when things gets clouded in CR.

Here an example:
Attachment:
trust.jpg
trust.jpg [ 11.42 KiB | Viewed 6312 times ]

Ok..look at figure.. some [color=#BF0040]don't trust I...but I trust some.. can't produce in diagram..NO!.[/color]

This is reverse of upper diagram. But, the flow is one-sided.can't conclude...NO!.

Diagram says.."I trust others and others trust me". Thats wat given here(People who trust others, believe others trust them) and thats my answer. I wont go any further!

Hope, it helps!
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 09:37
Here is how I solved this, drew a map:

Premise 1: NOT Believe others DISTRUST you = CONFIDENT
Premise 2: CONFIDENT ---> task = challenge

Conclusion: TRUST others ---> task=challenge.

So we need to equate premises and the conclusion. task=challenge means you are confident hence conclusion becomes: TRUST others = CONFIDENT = NOT Believe others DISTRUST you.. Answer C bridges the gap.
G
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2016, 08:40
Top Contributor
It is always better to simplify what the argument is trying to say.

1st sentence - Don't believe that others distrust them --> Confident in their own abilities
2nd sentence - trust others --> view difficult tasks as a challenge (note that this is the main conclusion of the argument. Also, note the conclusion indicator 'so').
3rd sentence - confident in their abilities --> view difficult tasks as a challenge (note that this is a premise. note the premise indicator 'since').

We can combine the 1st sentence and the 3rd sentence to yield the premise -

Don't believe that others distrust them --> confident in their abilities --> view difficult tasks as a challenge.

The conclusion is -

tend to trust others --> view difficult tasks as a challenge.

Assumption is something that ties the premise to the conclusion. We have to find the link between the LHS ("trust others") to RHS ("view difficult tasks as a challenge").

One way to do this is to tie "trust others" to " don't believe that others distrust them" so that the conclusion naturally follows from the link.
Which answer option states this? Option C.

A - we are concerned with people who don't believe that others distrust them not the other way round.
B - states 'confidence in their own abilities --> confidence in trustworthiness of others' - this links the 2nd statement in the premise to the first statement in the conclusion. Incorrect. We need something that links the LHS to RHS in the conclusion statement.
C - correct answer.
D - the conclusion is this - "people who trust others view difficult tasks as a challenge rather than a threat" - this does not mean that all people who are not threatened by difficult tasks view them as challenge. Also, a restatement of the conclusion is not an assumption.
E - we are concerned with people who don't believe that others distrust them. We are not concerned with all people.

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Register for the Free GMAT Kickstarter Course : http://bit.ly/2DDHKHq

Register for our Personal Tutoring Course : https://www.crackverbal.com/gmat/personal-tutoring/

Join the free 4 part GMAT video training series : http://bit.ly/2DGm8tR
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 15:14
Spovil wrote:
People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in their own abilities, so people who tend to trust others think of a difficult task as a challenge rather than a threat, since this is precisely how people who are confident in their won abilities regard such tasks.

My analysis is below.
Conc: P who trust others: Dif task = challenge
Basis of Conc (BofC): P who are confident in their own abilities: Dif task = challenge
P1: P who believe that O trust P : Confident in their own abilities

As showed above. the different colors highlights the linkages between the different parts of the argument. So, In order for the conclusion to be true, we need to establish the linkage (assumption) between P1 and the Conclusion.
A valid assumption would be that P who trust others believe that others trust them. (Option C is correct)
If we negate it: "P who trust others don't believe that others trust them" breaks the conclusion.

A) Incorrect. We are not concern about people who believe that others distrust them (different group of people is mention in the argument: people who do not believe that others distrust them = people who believe that other trust them)

B) Incorrect. This links P1 with the BofC. We need a linkage with the Conclusion.

D) OFS. Argument is not concerned with this group of people threatened by a task. Argument just talks about that the target group of people consider difficult tasks as a challenge rather than a threat.

E) OFS. this option makes a general assumption about all people.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 01:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2018, 01:14

People who do not believe that others distrust them are confident in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics