GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jul 2018, 09:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Jun 2018, 14:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (00:53) correct 47% (01:03) wrong based on 430 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent seem to be resistant to malaria, an evolutionary advantage that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population.

(A) seem to be resistant to malaria,

(B) seemingly are resistant to malaria,

(C) seem to be resistant to malaria and have

(D) seemingly are resistant to malaria and to have

(E) are, it seems, resistant to malaria, and they have

Originally posted by fanatico on 13 Apr 2011, 22:19.
Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Jun 2018, 14:06, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2011, 08:43
The logical approach to this structural problem IMO is this. The primary issue is the usage of correct idiom. Seem to be resistant involves an element of speculation, while seemingly are resistant is more declarative and definitive

In addition, this is a simple sentence that is modified by an absolute modifier of some advantage that modifies a noun idea of being resistance to a disease. It must be remembered that the absolute modifier is simply an additional info and not equal to the noun idea of resistance as such. Now let us see

A) Seem to be resistant to malaria, ….seem to be is the correct idiom and the absolute modifier is correctly placed, set off with a comma. The best choice.

(B) seemingly are resistant to malaria, …. Incorrect idiom

(C) seem to be resistant to malaria and have… use of an independent clause instead of the modifier phrase is wrong. The original text does not intend to give equality to the modifier.

(D) seemingly are resistant to malaria and to have…. Wrong idiom

(E) are, it seems, resistant to malaria, and they have… giving equality to modifier is wrong. ‘Seem to be resistant’ is not the same as ‘are, it seems, resistant’

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Re: People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2011, 07:49
fanatico wrote:
577. People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent seem to be resistant to malaria, an evolutionary advantage that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population.

(B) and (D) are wrong because "seemingly" is an adverb that should modify resistant. And seem to be resistant is preferred.
(E) is too wrong. It provides are as verb for people then is modifier by a clause 'it seems' that is not correctly connected to the main clause.
(C) is not necessary

So A but I also want to hear what others think... Want to know if I understand things right

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2011, 18:35
But won't the modifier "an evolutionary advantage..." modify malaria instead of modifying "...resistant to malaria"?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2011, 19:53
What can logically be an advantage- a disease or resistance to it?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2011, 23:29
daagh wrote:
What can logically be an advantage- a disease or resistance to it?

'An evolutionary advantage' is indicating which one? 'Malaria' or 'Resistant to Malaria'?

I think it's indicating Malaria only.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 01:09
Easy.

Resitance to malaria is "an evolutionary advantage" , the part after comma is a modifier, so C, D, E are gone

seem to be is correct idiom, so A is correct.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 11:05
well 'an evolutionary advantage' is placed next to malaria and not next to resistance, so why should it modify resistance and not malaria ?

what am i missing here ?

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 11:56
garimavyas wrote:
well 'an evolutionary advantage' is placed next to malaria and not next to resistance, so why should it modify resistance and not malaria ?

what am i missing here ?

Try to read it again but skip:
1. the word "malaria"
2 the word "resitance"

Think which sentence makes sense?

the correct one will sound as the original, the wrong will be an absolute absurd. (well, malaria could not be an advantage :) )

Audaces fortuna juvat!

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 12:27
I don't think C is wrong at all.

The only reason why I would select A over C is..because A is correct too.

Since both implies different meanings, always go with the option A.

If the value of option C had been at the option A, I would have selected the option that is currently at C.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 12:39
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I don't think C is wrong at all.

The only reason why I would select A over C is..because A is correct too.

Since both implies different meanings, always go with the option A.

If the value of option C had been at the option A, I would have selected the option that is currently at C.

With a lot of respect to my colleague, I would disagree with that.

Let us read the sentence as follows:

People who [strike]inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent[/strike] seem to be resistant to malaria.
Resistance to malaria is an evolutionary advantage [strike]that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population[/strike].

if you read it in C's way:

People who [strike]inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent[/strike] seem to be resistant to malaria and have an evolutionary advantage [strike]that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population.[/strike]

In this case parts People who AND have evolutionary advantage - ARE NOT PARALLEL!

From the meaning of the sentence the stare of being resistant to malaria is an evolutionary advantage.

Why evolutionary?! because some people inherited the resitence from one of their parents.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

4 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 14:13
People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent seem to be resistant to malaria, an evolutionary advantage that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population

People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent => is the subject.
You can not consider
People who[strike]inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent[/strike]seem to be resistant to malaria,

How about this.

X seem to be resistant to malaria, and X have an evolutionary advantage that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population.

where X = People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent

C IMO is not grammatically wrong. It is wrong only because it changes the meaning. So whichever option out of A and C is at position A should be marked as correct answer, as the intended meaning is always with the option A.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2011, 23:55
gurpreetsingh wrote:
How about this.

X seem to be resistant to malaria, and X have an evolutionary advantage that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population.

where X = People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent .

Yes you are right! Agree with that, becuase both parts are parallel! X and X.

+1 kudos from me :)

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2011, 00:57
gurpreetsingh wrote:
People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent seem to be resistant to malaria, an evolutionary advantage that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population

People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent => is the subject.
You can not consider
People who[strike]inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent[/strike]seem to be resistant to malaria,

How about this.

where X = People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent

C IMO is not grammatically wrong. It is wrong only because it changes the meaning. So whichever option out of A and C is at position A should be marked as correct answer, as the intended meaning is always with the option A.

Dear gurpreetsingh,
the 'X' thing is just awesome. I hope a big chunk of my SC problems will no more be there if I can properly use it. Thanks!
And, of course, +1 kudo! :-)
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2011, 02:32
A resistant to malaria ...is being referred

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2011, 03:16
Hi all,

This is my 1st post here in this forum.
I can't understand why "Evolutionary advantage" is not modifying just Malaria.
If we say "People who seem to be resistant to specific medicine, an evolutionary advantage .....
So here, it would modify Specific medicine or resistant to specific medicine.

I am still confused.

Tks
Math Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2011, 12:15
timeishere wrote:
Hi all,

This is my 1st post here in this forum.
I can't understand why "Evolutionary advantage" is not modifying just Malaria.
If we say "People who seem to be resistant to specific medicine, an evolutionary advantage .....
So here, it would modify Specific medicine or resistant to specific medicine.

I am still confused.
Tks

The noun or noun-phrase after comma may not always modify the noun immediately preceding comma.

People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent seem to be resistant to malaria, an evolutionary advantage that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population.

If we look at the sentence prior to the comma:
"People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent seem to be resistant to malaria."

This sentence itself is an independent clause. Guess it's also called adverbial phrase. Since, this statement before comma conveys an entire thought and contains subject/verb, it is not necessary for the noun that follows comma to modify the noun immediately preceding the comma.

"an evolutionary advantage" is the entire act of being resistant described in the previous sentence AND it properly modifies what it intends to.

~fluke

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2012, 13:25
Guys I just got it.

What is the evolutionary advantance is the Inheritance of the sickle cell anemia gene.

People who Inherit X from Y seem to be Z, an evolutionary advantage... (the second part of the sentence refers to a genetic condition) what further clarifies that is not refering to malaria.

Comments please.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 08:40
577. People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent seem to be resistant to malaria, an evolutionary advantage that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population.

'seemingly are' is wrong modifier. 'are seemingly resistant' is OK. So B and D out.
'An evolutionary advantage' is a modifier modifying the previous clause. So C and E out.
A remains.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 14:02
Why seemingly is incorrect in option B ?
Re: People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jun 2018, 14:02

People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap