Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [13]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [28]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.85
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in danger of bein [#permalink]
Kudos
People who listen to certain recordings of music are in danger of being unduly influenced by spoken messages that have been recorded backwards on the records or tapes.

First of all, its a consequence question, this is more of must be true question. So what must be true such that the messages spoken backwards influence people? People need to understand what is being spoken backwards, keeping this in mind scan the answer choices and only D matches.

Hence D is the answer.

(A) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings - This doesn't establish whether recordings spoken backwards influence people
(B) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all of the musical qualities of the recorded performance - Again this option does not concern what is being asked
(C) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they introduce a trancelike state - This does not setup a correct correlation
(D) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards - Exactly what we are looking for
(E) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays - Attention?? This does not tell why people are influenced

Hope this helps.

Sandeep Nerli
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in danger of bein [#permalink]
Kudos
On average, we have one and half minutes to deal with a CR question. It will take an average of one minute to carefully read a stimulus, a question stem, and five answer choices. There will be around half minute to choose the correct answer. Do you think there is enough time for you to brainstorm some assumptions to handle the assumption family questions in such a short time? On the contrary, to save the valuable time, can we read the stimulus first rather than question first and then repeat the same question later since we already know that there are two major CR question types – assumption family and inference family plus some other minor ones – flawing reasoning, parallel reasoning, resolving paradox, function, etc.? I think a would-be GMAT 800 winner definitely employs a counterintuitive technique rather than follow an inflexible 4-step pattern to crack some “crazy” CR questions?

In short, can we just comprehensively read the squib and question and rapidly make an educated guess at the best answer with the right pattern in mind just as an aardvark quickly and accurately gets its prey with an electric tread in its tapered snout?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
Kudos
MarkSullivan wrote:
gjg wrote:
People who listen to certain recordings of music are in danger of being unduly influenced by spoken messages that have been recorded backwards on the records or tapes.

A conclusion can be drawn from the above is that

1) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings
2) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all the musical qualities of the recorded performance
3) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they induce a trancelike state
4) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards
5) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays

As always with CR, let's start with the question itself!

This is a Draw a Conclusion question, and when it comes to this question type, here's the golden rule:

Pick the Conclusion that follows directly from the givens.

And so we're on to step two: understand those givens!

Here's what we know:

• There are musical recordings with backwards message.
  • Listening to certain examples of such music may result in one being influenced by the message.

... and really, that's it. We don't have much to work with here! That actually carries a major pro on Draw a Conclusion – any answer choice that tries to claim "too much" should be tossed aside. Let's dive in ...

4) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards

Now finally we have a real contender! Notice the overlap in language between this choice and the original passage – they both talk about "such message" and "exert[ing] influence". Let's break down what (D) is really saying. Note that it is of the form "if P, then Q," where

P = such messages must be comprehended to exert influence

and

Q = people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards

(Note that I tend to think pretty Quantitatively, even on the Verbal section!) Well, what do we know about influence from the passage? We know that some people are influenced by these messages. If we take P as given (people must understand the messages for them to be influenced by the messages), and we know that some people are influenced by the messages, then we can safely conclude Q (those people are able to understand the messages).

Note that in choosing choice (D), we are only concluding the if/then statement "if P, then Q". We are actually not concluding Q itself (people can understand the messages), nor can we!! We are just saying that, "if people must understand to be influenced, AND people actually are getting influenced, then we can say that people must understand."

It's pretty subtle, but hopefully that makes sense. (D) is in fact the correct answer, but really the better way to go here is to just try eliminating (E)! Let's take a look ...

5) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays

The passage never says that we have to pay full attention to the music (or the message, for that matter) to be influenced by the message. All we know is that there are messages and some people are influenced by them. That's it. Wrong.

I think the original post says (E) for the correct answer, but it's definitely (D)!

Hope that helps!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I agree with elimination of first 3 option as you have highlighted, and also that option D and E are good contenders. But option D is definitely not the right answer considering following reasons

I) Question asks us to draw conclusion from the GIVEN argument - "A conclusion can be drawn from the above is that ". The answer choice D introduces new argument, argument p as you have highlighted. The choice D is correct, only when argument p is added to the given argument. That is, it goes against the requirement stated in the question.
II) Answer choice E is actually a pre-requisite type of conclusion. That is, if full attention is not paid, then there is no question of understanding or not understanding backwardly recorded message.
III) A best scenario to get influenced by message would be (in the given order)
a) pay full attention to music and all messages inside
b) be able to interpret the backward message (note that there is no "if" condition here, unlike option D)
c) Get influenced by interpreted message (as given in the passage)

If we fail to do III-a, then there is no question of being able to interpret the message.

Hence, E should be the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Bookmarks
I choose D after taking +5 minutes for single question. Expert advice please what is the right answer?

Option E) - i find it more like assumption and not conclusion, logic gap filler - music record listening.....PAY FULL ATTENTION.... get influenced.
And its a conclusion question answer must be drawn from given argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos
E is the strongest contender
People who LISTEN TO blah blah blah blah blah INFLUENCED BY SPOKEN MESSAGES blah blah blah blah

Here Listening is the cause and getting influenced is the effect.
IF CAUSE DOES NOT HAPPEN EFFECT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

If you don't understand french you can't appreciate a Tragic french poem. You may laugh .. ha ha ha ha at their funny accent. But the poem is suppose to influence you to feel pain and hurt. Every single Frensh person cries bucket full of tears whenever he hear the poem. And here look at you, laughing at the Poem :-D

So the argument is concluding that people pay full attention., therefore at at risk of getting influences.

CORRECT ANSWER IS E

gjg wrote:

2) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all the musical qualities of the recorded performance
3) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they induce a trancelike state
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
gjg wrote:

Tuckwhartonbooth wrote:
Could the moderator please verify the validity of this question and answer. Would you please please add the source and the answer of this question if possible. Thank you! :)

Dear Tuckwhartonbooth,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is an LSAT Logical Reasoning question--it's from an LSAT in 1992. I corrected the OA in this thread: it should be (D).

It doesn't quite have the feel of a GMAT CR question. For example, I don't believe I have seen many GMAT CR questions that have "if-then" statements in the answer choices. The LSAT has much more emphasis on formal logic than does the GMAT.

Nevertheless, for GMAT students wanting to sharpen their CR skills, the LSAT Logical Reasoning questions provide excellent practice. Choice (D) has a formal logical structure that, again, is more typical of the LSAT than of the GMAT, but it's clearly the best answer. This question is logically rigorous and very well constructed. If you understand questions of this sort well, then the GMAT CR will seem easy by comparison.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Mike,

Thank you for your clarification on this question. I/we really appreciate you taking the time on this...

I did notice that the blog webpage still has the incorrect answer under the part that needs to be highlighted to see the answer. Would you be able to update that as well?

All the best and thanks again!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
Tuckwhartonbooth wrote:
Mike,

Thank you for your clarification on this question. I/we really appreciate you taking the time on this...

I did notice that the blog webpage still has the incorrect answer under the part that needs to be highlighted to see the answer. Would you be able to update that as well?

All the best and thanks again!

Dear Tuckwhartonbooth,

My friend, I apologize, but I don't understand what you are asking--when you say "the blog webpage," to exactly what website are you referring?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Sorry about that. I attempted to insert the webpage for you, but I was unable to do so due to the restriction of this site. You'll need to add gmatclub dot com in front of the first / I can't send the link to you because I haven't made enough posts.

/blog/2017/03/gmat-question-of-the-day-march-10-3/
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Expert Reply
Tuckwhartonbooth wrote:
Hi Mike,

Sorry about that. I attempted to insert the webpage for you, but I was unable to do so due to the restriction of this site. You'll need to add gmatclub dot com in front of the first / I can't send the link to you because I haven't made enough posts.

/blog/2017/03/gmat-question-of-the-day-march-10-3/

Dear Tuckwhartonbooth,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I tried to go to
gmatclub.com/blog/2017/03/gmat-question-of-the-day-march-10-3/
and I got an error message.

In any event, as a moderator from another company, I have some privileges to do basic editing in the verbal forum, but only the employees of GMAT Club can to site-wide editing, such as the Questions of the Day. For example, the brilliant souvik101990 works for GMAT Club and might be able to make that change if the post still exists.

Does all this make sense?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings
It can be that it is sync in a perfectly audible sense

(B) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all of the musical qualities of the recorded performance
there may be a pausiblities that the music is stopped and later played for the recording this cannot be ruled out

(C) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they introduce a trancelike state
May be that it wasn't popular later it caught on the trensd can be a possiblity

(D) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards
Yes this is a valid point understanding is key to breaking the deadlock

(E) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it play
May be patial is enough to catch on the message
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1812 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

A consequence of the view above is that

(A) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings - WRONG. Louder is irrelevant. 

(B) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all of the musical qualities of the recorded performance - WRONG. How does it impact the listener is not clearly inferable from this.

(C) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they introduce a trancelike state - WRONG. Goes in a direction that does not help. Purpose at best is irrelevant. 

(D) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards - CORRECT. If they don't comprehend then they may not get influenced.

(E) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays - WRONG. Not necessarily true but more importantly it not helpful.

Answer D. 
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts