Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32922 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32922 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1711
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Philosophers of science have long been uneasy with biology, preferring [#permalink]
Hi, Can you please provide the explanation for Q1 ? I picked B but also need to understand why C is incorrect.
similarly for Q4, I need to understand why D is not correct. I found it difficult to eliminate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Philosophers of science have long been uneasy with biology, preferring [#permalink]
why is the answer of Q2, not A?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pranjal3107 wrote:
Hi, Can you please provide the explanation for Q1 ? I picked B but also need to understand why C is incorrect.
similarly for Q4, I need to understand why D is not correct. I found it difficult to eliminate.

Explanation

Q#1

(C) is wrong because it blows up a tiny detail from lines 17-20, and a detail that concerns only one of two distinct groups of biologists. It didn't capture the main idea.

4. It can be inferred from the passage that philosophers of science view the laws of physics as

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

“Philosophers of science…[prefer] instead to focus on physics” because of their “mistrust of uncertainty; they claim that “science must consist of universal laws.” A universal law is one that must always apply or, as (C) says, apply to both the possible and the actual. If you need no support, remember Paragraph 3’s discussion of the elliptical movement of planets: This law of physics applies to all planets, real or only theoretical.

History (A) is uncertain; its laws are contradictory to the laws of physics, not analogous to it. Physics (B) is certain; its laws are easier to apply than those of biology. “Particularity” (D) is not a concept that the author draws upon. That which illustrates historical contingency (E) is not the laws of physics, but any example of biological uncertainty: the evolution of elephants and mice (Paragraph 1), for instance.

Answer: C
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
RandomUuser wrote:
why is the answer of Q2, not A?

Explanation

2. The reference to the formulation of the notion of a universal “struggle for existence” (line 21) serves primarily to

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Right before line 21, we hear about the evolutionary biologists who “emulate physicists” and seek “universal laws” to underlie their science. Their formulation of a universal “struggle for resistance” is paired with their statement about the universal law of DNA evolution (lines 22-23), and we can see that both details are there to illustrate those biologists’ approach—choice (D).

(A) mentions something that the biologists would like to do, but not why the author includes the detail. (B) and (E) are both opposites because the evolutionary biologists in and around line 21 are seeking certainty in biology, not it's opposite. The “chief cause” of the controversy (C) is, if anything, the desire to decide whether biology can really be called a science if it’s based on so much contingency; in any case, it’s much broader than the small detail in question.

Answer: D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts