GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 22:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

please explain these sentences

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 17
please explain these sentences  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 05:20
1)RIGHT: They passed a BAN PROHIBITING us FROM CARRYING bottles.
1)WRONG: They passed a BAN that we CANNOT CARRY bottles.

RIGHT
They AGREE THAT electrons EXIST.
Electrons are particles THAT physicists AGREE EXIST.
SUSPECT
There is AGREEMENT AMONG them THAT electrons exist.
They AGREE electrons EXIST. (AGREE THAT is preferred)
Electrons are particles THATphysicists AGREE ON AS EXISTING.
WRONG:
There is AGREEMENT AMONG them TO THE FACT THAT electrons exist.
Electrons are particles physicists AGREE THAT EXIST.
Electrons are particles physicists AGREE TO EXIST
Director
Director
avatar
V
Joined: 30 Jan 2016
Posts: 708
Location: United States (MA)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: please explain these sentences  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 10:22
aashishchawla wrote:
1)RIGHT:

RIGHT
They AGREE THAT electrons EXIST.
Electrons are particles THAT physicists AGREE EXIST.
SUSPECT
There is AGREEMENT AMONG them THAT electrons exist.
They AGREE electrons EXIST. (AGREE THAT is preferred)
Electrons are particles THATphysicists AGREE ON AS EXISTING.
WRONG:
There is AGREEMENT AMONG them TO THE FACT THAT electrons exist.
Electrons are particles physicists AGREE THAT EXIST.
Electrons are particles physicists AGREE TO EXIST


I guess these sentences are from MPREP. These aare idioms - exceptions. SO, you just have to learn them by heart.

Hope this helps!
_________________

Non progredi est regredi

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 17
Re: please explain these sentences  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 22:51
i cant remember these sentences but looking for the rules by which they work
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 17
Re: please explain these sentences  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 22:56
Akela wrote:
aashishchawla wrote:
1)RIGHT:

RIGHT
They AGREE THAT electrons EXIST.
Electrons are particles THAT physicists AGREE EXIST.
SUSPECT
There is AGREEMENT AMONG them THAT electrons exist.
They AGREE electrons EXIST. (AGREE THAT is preferred)
Electrons are particles THATphysicists AGREE ON AS EXISTING.
WRONG:
There is AGREEMENT AMONG them TO THE FACT THAT electrons exist.
Electrons are particles physicists AGREE THAT EXIST.
Electrons are particles physicists AGREE TO EXIST


I guess these sentences are from MPREP. These aare idioms - exceptions. SO, you just have to learn them by heart.

Hope this helps!


i cant remember the sentences. because these sentences wont come in the exam. what i can remember is the usage explanation of these specific words like i have been doing with other idioms. so looking for that.
Director
Director
avatar
V
Joined: 30 Jan 2016
Posts: 708
Location: United States (MA)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: please explain these sentences  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 14:21
Hi!

An idiom is a common expression or grammatical structure in English. You might hear idioms described elsewhere as a “saying”—for example, “as easy as pie”—but on the GMAT, you won’t see these as often. Instead, you’ll encounter more everyday constructions and have to decide which one is correct in English.

For example, which one of these sentences is correctly phrased?

Henry graduated from college.

Henry graduated of college.

The first one is correct: You don’t graduate “of” school. You graduate “from” school. There’s no special grammatical reason that this is the case, other than that that’s simply the way we talk about graduation in English (using the preposition “from” rather than the preposition “of,” that is). This is an example of how you’ll encounter idioms on the GMAT: There’s no specific grammar rule to follow, but an idiomatic expression will need to be corrected simply because it’s not used in English.

https://www.prepscholar.com/gmat/blog/gmat-idioms-list/

The sentecens you've mentioned are in the list of idioms. See the attached pic.

Hope this helps
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 59.31 KiB | Viewed 171 times ]


_________________

Non progredi est regredi

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 596
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: please explain these sentences  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 12:08
1
aashishchawla wrote:
Akela wrote:
aashishchawla wrote:
1)RIGHT:

RIGHT
They AGREE THAT electrons EXIST.
Electrons are particles THAT physicists AGREE EXIST.
SUSPECT
There is AGREEMENT AMONG them THAT electrons exist.
They AGREE electrons EXIST. (AGREE THAT is preferred)
Electrons are particles THATphysicists AGREE ON AS EXISTING.
WRONG:
There is AGREEMENT AMONG them TO THE FACT THAT electrons exist.
Electrons are particles physicists AGREE THAT EXIST.
Electrons are particles physicists AGREE TO EXIST


I guess these sentences are from MPREP. These aare idioms - exceptions. SO, you just have to learn them by heart.

Hope this helps!


i cant remember the sentences. because these sentences wont come in the exam. what i can remember is the usage explanation of these specific words like i have been doing with other idioms. so looking for that.


Focus on the words in all caps in your quote. Those are the ones that are actually part of the idiom. The verb 'exist' isn't the important part; you could replace it with a different verb, as long as it's in the same form as the verb in the examples.

So if you want to write these examples as a rule, you might start by writing, '(someone) AGREES THAT something happens' = correct.

On the other hand, '(someone) AGREES something happens (no that)' = suspect.
_________________

Image

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Re: please explain these sentences &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jun 2018, 12:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

please explain these sentences

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.