Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 17:57 It is currently 08 May 2024, 17:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Re: Please help me out! Scored a 600 in the exam. [#permalink]
Kudos
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9267 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Your true level right now in Verbal is surely much higher than V27, from your diagnostic scores. It's possible something was different on test day (perhaps you were tired, or distracted, or stressed, or used a different pacing strategy from normal, etc) and that explains why your score dropped. If that might be the case, the most important thing you could do right now is reflect on test day, work out what might have gone wrong, and do what you can to ensure it doesn't happen again. But when you have eight scores that tell you that you're a V36 or so, and one score that says you're a V27, you should trust the eight scores and not the one outlier.

Of course if you could improve your true level in Q, V, or both, you could push your score even beyond your current 690-700 level. But if you didn't improve at all, you'll still be very likely to score in that range if you take a real test this week, provided you've addressed anything that might have gone wrong on test day last time. So that's probably all you'll really need to do.

I can't advise on prep company Verbal products, but if you are looking for additional questions, you could look into the official online question banks that you can buy. You could also buy an older OG/VR pair (that will be the cheapest option) -- if you used OG/VR 2021, then the OG2015 or OG13/VR2nd edition will not overlap much at all with the books you used, so you'll be getting a mostly new set of questions, if you haven't seen those questions on the forum. In general I'd only recommend using official questions for Verbal practice; no prep company designs questions that approach the quality of real questions. Good luck!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22170 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
divsu wrote:
kntombat wrote:
Hey divsu, I think the experts (ScottTargetTestPrep, MartyTargetTestPrep, bb, IanStewart, AndrewN, CrackVerbal) opinion will be really helpful to solve your conundrum.

You can check TTP out for verbal, EMPOWER gmat etc.

Thank you so much for your response!

I am very confused as to go for TTP or for EMPOWER.

ScottTargetTestPrep IanStewart CrackVerbal Could you please help me out with your advice?

Why don't you sign up for a trial to TTP, then reach out to us on live chat and we can take things from there.
Current Student
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
Your true level right now in Verbal is surely much higher than V27, from your diagnostic scores. It's possible something was different on test day (perhaps you were tired, or distracted, or stressed, or used a different pacing strategy from normal, etc) and that explains why your score dropped. If that might be the case, the most important thing you could do right now is reflect on test day, work out what might have gone wrong, and do what you can to ensure it doesn't happen again. But when you have eight scores that tell you that you're a V36 or so, and one score that says you're a V27, you should trust the eight scores and not the one outlier.

Of course if you could improve your true level in Q, V, or both, you could push your score even beyond your current 690-700 level. But if you didn't improve at all, you'll still be very likely to score in that range if you take a real test this week, provided you've addressed anything that might have gone wrong on test day last time. So that's probably all you'll really need to do.

I can't advise on prep company Verbal products, but if you are looking for additional questions, you could look into the official online question banks that you can buy. You could also buy an older OG/VR pair (that will be the cheapest option) -- if you used OG/VR 2021, then the OG2015 or OG13/VR2nd edition will not overlap much at all with the books you used, so you'll be getting a mostly new set of questions, if you haven't seen those questions on the forum. In general I'd only recommend using official questions for Verbal practice; no prep company designs questions that approach the quality of real questions. Good luck!

Fair enough.

Thank your insights Ian!

I have ordered the older OG (2015) for more practice questions. Thank you!!

Also, yes, going back to the test, I think I did pace too fast in Verbal.

I shall analyse the ESR to look into where exactly I went wrong, and improve on those.
Current Student
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
divsu wrote:
kntombat wrote:
Hey divsu, I think the experts (ScottTargetTestPrep, MartyTargetTestPrep, bb, IanStewart, AndrewN, CrackVerbal) opinion will be really helpful to solve your conundrum.

You can check TTP out for verbal, EMPOWER gmat etc.

Thank you so much for your response!

I am very confused as to go for TTP or for EMPOWER.

ScottTargetTestPrep IanStewart CrackVerbal Could you please help me out with your advice?

Why don't you sign up for a trial to TTP, then reach out to us on live chat and we can take things from there.

Right, that sounds like a plan. I'll do that and definitely reach out to you for further queries.

Thank you for your time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11675 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi divsu,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Over the last 2 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) Did you use any other study materials besides the OG?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7650 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Hi divsu
Thanks for sharing the concerns and the experience you had. Its not about how much we know but how we apply it under a timed atmosphere that may make or mar our results. Its overwhelming to hear that you have taken so many mocks and have approached the paper with experience of practice and simulated atmosphere.
However, we think you can reconsider how you have gone through the questions in the test and if your test taking strategies were correctly applied. Sometimes, some questions seem very familiar after practicing a lot and appearing for multiple mocks and then we end up committing errors as we ignore some critical inputs of the question stem.
Anxiety can also create the same effects.
Apart from a calm and critical test taking mindset, we would also suggest you to review the open ends in the area of Verbal Ability to boost up your score.
For a course, you can try our course for the free period and check it out.
Since you are done with OG, you can go through the Quant and Verbal review and analyze your errors in OG,Mocks and Quant review/Verbal review.
Plug in the open ends and take the test confidently.
You can always reach out to us for any further clarification/assistance.
Thank You
CrackVerbal Academics
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37403 posts