Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: Please review Applicant for Fall '12 [#permalink]
YoungEntrepreneur wrote:
bakfed wrote:
AdComs will have to think about your employability after MBA and for someone who has been his/her own boss for years, this will be a tough transition. Your age is also going to play a bit of a disadvantage, but as long as you can fully describe your reasons to apply and attend b-schools by answering "Why now" accordingly, you'll be fine as well. One thing that you have to realize is that your GMAT score and GPA are both on the lower end for top b-schools. Columbia will be a tough one here only because of your work experience, GMAT score, and GPA. NYU will also be tough as it has a notoriously high GMAT score average. BU and Baruch should be fine, but I'm not quite understanding why the big jump from top 10 to schools outside of 20's. But I'm sure you had your reasons. If I were you, I'd retake your GMAT and aim for nothing lower than 700 if you want Columbia.

Thanks for the advice. I Just have a few questions.

I understand they care about my employability after my MBA, However, what if i don't even want to get recruited; etc and work for someone else? I wanted to get my MBA for the purpose of getting more knowledge that will help me run my own businesses. I also want to be able to help/partner up with friends/other acquaintances with their startups; etc. I know a decent amount of people from previous networking in all fields. IB, PE, VC, and some in tech.

Also my reason for the jump is because i mainly want to stay in NY... If i can stay in NYC than i can still run my businesses and franchise myself. Makes my life a lot easier. If i go to Boston or anywhere within a 4 hour drive/2 hour plane ride i can keep my first business but most likely not my franchise. I also fly to Hong Kong every 1-2 months so flying out of JFK or Logan (if i went to boston) would be the easiest thing for me.

I know name matters a lot from what ive read on this forum. However, how would you guys rate schools in NYC like Baruch, fordham, even rutgers in NJ? Im not going to using this degree to get recruited. I think most of my potential partners later on would not care where i got my MBA, just that i do have it.

Consider Columba J-term or a 1yr program.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
YoungEntrepreneur wrote:
bakfed wrote:
AdComs will have to think about your employability after MBA and for someone who has been his/her own boss for years, this will be a tough transition. Your age is also going to play a bit of a disadvantage, but as long as you can fully describe your reasons to apply and attend b-schools by answering "Why now" accordingly, you'll be fine as well. One thing that you have to realize is that your GMAT score and GPA are both on the lower end for top b-schools. Columbia will be a tough one here only because of your work experience, GMAT score, and GPA. NYU will also be tough as it has a notoriously high GMAT score average. BU and Baruch should be fine, but I'm not quite understanding why the big jump from top 10 to schools outside of 20's. But I'm sure you had your reasons. If I were you, I'd retake your GMAT and aim for nothing lower than 700 if you want Columbia.

Thanks for the advice. I Just have a few questions.

I understand they care about my employability after my MBA, However, what if i don't even want to get recruited; etc and work for someone else? I wanted to get my MBA for the purpose of getting more knowledge that will help me run my own businesses. I also want to be able to help/partner up with friends/other acquaintances with their startups; etc. I know a decent amount of people from previous networking in all fields. IB, PE, VC, and some in tech.

Also my reason for the jump is because i mainly want to stay in NY... If i can stay in NYC than i can still run my businesses and franchise myself. Makes my life a lot easier. If i go to Boston or anywhere within a 4 hour drive/2 hour plane ride i can keep my first business but most likely not my franchise. I also fly to Hong Kong every 1-2 months so flying out of JFK or Logan (if i went to boston) would be the easiest thing for me.

I know name matters a lot from what ive read on this forum. However, how would you guys rate schools in NYC like Baruch, fordham, even rutgers in NJ? Im not going to using this degree to get recruited. I think most of my potential partners later on would not care where i got my MBA, just that i do have it.

If it remains true that you're not looking to get recruited, name matters little (probably none) since you're taking care of your own business. As lagomez mentioned, I'd look into some 1-year program. Last, but not least, if you're simply looking for a means to broaden your business acumen and horizon, why not simply take some classes from some colleges around you? This way the overall expense would be tremendously cheaper than going to school at, say, Columbia. Again, this is basing off the assumption that you're not looking to get in any firm, but rather to stay with your own.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys how competitive is my profile for nyu and columbia part time progams?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

I don't think columbia has a part-time program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
YoungEntrepreneur wrote:

I don't think columbia has a part-time program.

Oops how competitive am I for nyu part time than?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
You should be competitive for Langone. Your profile fits right smack in its published class profile and as long as you spin your stories right, you should be good to go.
GMAT Club Bot