GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Point (P, Q) is in the coordinate plane. Is P > Q?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Point (P, Q) is in the coordinate plane. Is P > Q?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 05:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:25) correct 35% (01:23) wrong based on 331 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Point (P, Q) is in the coordinate plane. Is P > Q?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 08:29
1) P is positive is x=0 line all points in 1, 4 quadrants insufficient as we don't have any idea about Q
2) Y=X+1
y=x is the line where all the y's =x's so y=x+1 is offset by 1 and hence all the x will be always be smaller than y. PQ will lie above so they will follow same trend. Sufficient.

I think answer is B
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 500 Q36 V23

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 08:45
(1) Insufficient. There are several possibilities.
(2) Sufficient. If P=1 and Q=2, the answer to the question is no. If P=-2 and Q=-1, the answer is no. So Q is always going to be more than P.

I think it's B
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 06:47
Bunuel wrote:

(1) P is positive.
(2) Point (P, Q) above on the line y = x + 1.

Kudos for a correct solution.

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

We see the x > y type question in the prompt, which makes us suspect that the line y = x will play an important part at some point.

Statement #1 just tells us P is positive, nothing else. The point (P, Q) = (4, 2) has the property that P > Q, but the point (P, Q) = (4, 5) has the property that P < Q. Clearly, just knowing P is positive does nothing to help us figure out whether P > Q. Statement #1, by itself, is wildly insufficient.

Statement #2 is intriguing. It discusses not the line y = x but the line y = x + 1. What is the relationship of those two lines? First of all, they are parallel: they have the same slope. The line y = x has a y-intercept of zero (it goes through the origin), while the line y = x + 1 has a y-intercept of 1. This means: any point on the line y = x + 1 must be above the line y = x. If (P, Q) is on y = x + 1, then it is above y = x, which automatically means Q > P. We can give a definite “no” answer to the question. By itself, Statement #2 is sufficient.

Answer = B.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
WE: Research (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 05:10
Bunuel wrote:

(1) P is positive.

s1 -> P>Q OR P<Q so not sufficient.
s2 -> y=x+1 which means y is always 1 more than x it suggests in y is always more than x. Hence we get a definite ans. which is No p is not greater than Q. Hence it is sufficient.

Ans. is B

I have a confusion regarding statement 2. What does it mean? Point (p,q) lies on the line or above the line y=x+1? Well I think in both the cases ans. would be same. Bunuel pl. look into this.

If you like my post, Pl. do not hesitate to press kudos!!!!

Q51 on GMAT - PM me if you need any help with GMAT QUANTS!!!

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 05:38
nailgmat2015 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) P is positive.

s2 -> y=x+1 which means y is always 1 more than x it suggests in y is always more than x. Hence we get a definite ans. which is No p is not greater than Q. Hence it is sufficient.

Ans. is B

I have a confusion regarding statement 2. What does it mean? Point (p,q) lies on the line or above the line y=x+1? Well I think in both the cases ans. would be same. Bunuel pl. look into this.

Hello nailgmat2015, you are right, in this case answer will be the same in both cases.
"above on line" mean "lies on the line"

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
WE: Research (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 10:45
Harley1980 wrote:
nailgmat2015 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) P is positive.

Ans. is B

Hello nailgmat2015, you are right, in this case answer will be the same in both cases.
"above on line" mean "lies on the line"

Thanks Harley1980

If you like my post, Pl. do not hesitate to press kudos!!!!

Q51 on GMAT - PM me if you need any help with GMAT QUANTS!!!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 11:41
PathFinder007 wrote:

Statement #1: (P, Q) is closer to the x-axis than to the y-axis.

Statement #2: Point (P, Q) is above the line y = x + 1.

stmt 1: any number on x axis is closer to X axis than y axis ,for example ( 2,0) yes P> Q but if it is (-2,0) in this case P< Q
so stmt1 is insufficient

stmt 2: y=x+1 , y intercept =1 and slope m =1

y=x+1 line will lie above lien y=x, so any point you select on y=x+1 , P<Q so ans is NO

so stmt2 sufficient

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly press +1 Kudos if my post helped you in any way :)

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 18:11
Bunuel niks18 chetan2u

Quote:

(1) P is positive.

I am clear why St 1 is insufficient,
For St 2 I tried to solve using intercepts equation (x,0) and (0,y) and found that two points
on the line are (-1,0) and (0,1). I could not conclude with certainty about P = Q and hence
concluded that St 2 is insufficient.

Also note that slope of both y = x and y = x+1 are same

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 19:11
adkikani wrote:
Bunuel niks18 chetan2u

Quote:

(1) P is positive.

I am clear why St 1 is insufficient,
For St 2 I tried to solve using intercepts equation (x,0) and (0,y) and found that two points
on the line are (-1,0) and (0,1). I could not conclude with certainty about P = Q and hence
concluded that St 2 is insufficient.

Also note that slope of both y = x and y = x+1 are same

What is your question?

If (P, Q) were ON the line y = x + 1, then we'd have that Q = P + 1 but since it's ABOVE, then Q > P + 1. If Q is more than P + 1, then Q is definitely more than P, so we have a NO answer to the question.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 19:28
Bunuel

Quote:
What is your question?

My Q was to ascertain sufficiency of St 2.
I am using y = mx + c for knowing nature of line from slope and intercepts.
For the two given lines:
(1) y = x -> Slope = 1, and the y- intercept is 0, or in other words line must pass through (0,0) and (1.1)
(2) y = x + 1 ->Slope =1, and the y- intercept is 1, or in other words line must pass through (-1,0) and (0,1)

In other words Line represented by Eq (2) is parallel to line represented by (1) but 'shifted' upwards because of positive
y intercept, making a confirm "NO" answer to this statement. Is this approach correct ?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 19:36
adkikani wrote:
Bunuel

Quote:
What is your question?

My Q was to ascertain sufficiency of St 2.
I am using y = mx + c for knowing nature of line from slope and intercepts.
For the two given lines:
(1) y = x -> Slope = 1, and the y- intercept is 0, or in other words line must pass through (0,0) and (1.1)
(2) y = x + 1 ->Slope =1, and the y- intercept is 1, or in other words line must pass through (-1,0) and (0,1)

In other words Line represented by Eq (2) is parallel to line represented by (1) but 'shifted' upwards because of positive
y intercept, making a confirm "NO" answer to this statement. Is this approach correct ?

Yes, if you understand why the parallel line shifted up by 1 compared to the line y = x must have Q > P. It's basically the same as the approach given here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/point-p-q-is ... l#p1492536

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

GMAT Club Bot
Point (P, Q) is in the coordinate plane. Is P > Q? &nbs [#permalink] 20 Dec 2017, 19:36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap