Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Wharton or Columbia?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [2]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA Journeys
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Haas '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Poll: Wharton ($) vs Columbia ($$)??? [#permalink]
Kudos
businessschooled wrote:
Hi all -- I need help with this decision! I was admitted to Wharton/Lauder (originally my #1) program but didn't get as much money as I hoped (around 27k over years).

I got more aid at Columbia (60k over two years). The Wharton degree is more expensive since I'm doing the dual degree, but living in NYC is more expensive. Overall, it'll be 60k more to do Wharton. Worth it?

For context on post-MBA career goals, I'm aiming to go into corp strat/corp innovation.

Hello businessschooled

Congratulations are ind order :clap:

From US News perspective, Wharton is better than Columbia (9th) being on high 3rd place:

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

Bloomberg also thinks that Wharton is stronger in terms of networking and compensation, compared to Columbia :

https://www.bloomberg.com/business-scho ... #ranking=3

Economist agrees on all previously stated :

https://www.economist.com/whichmba/full ... ba-ranking

Forbes places Wharton to be the best business school in the nation, with 5 year gain of $97.1 K and years to payback ratio of 3.8 :

https://www.forbes.com/business-schools/list/

Finally, in newest FT rankings you can see that you can expect higher weighted salary with Wharton $190,826 compared to Columbia $177,680 :

https://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

All in all, seems to me that those 60k over, will worth investment. ;)

I vote for Wharton.

Good Luck :geek: :cool:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Although 40k USD is nothing to sneeze at, I do not think that such an amount should make you reconsider your dream school.

As plain as it sounds: Follow your dreams! (... and go to Wharton :) )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks everyone for your responses!! This has been super helpful in confirming what I think I knew in my heart & mind to be true. Wishing you all the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
bb wrote:
However, I feel that 69% employed at graduation is a bit low number for a school in the top 10 (Wharton is at 82% and Ross is at 90%). I feel the 69% speaks about the level, quality, and competitiveness of the on-campus recruiting opportunities (though it does talk about the student talent as well).

bb - it says here CBS has 90% of students who are looking for employment accepted offers.
I can't post the link but:
www8.gsb.columbia.edu/recruiters/sites/recruiters/files/CMC_2019EmploymentReport_FINAL.pdf

And if you do the math among H/S/W and then CBS, you'll see the former 3 are all playing around with numbers because they categorize a decent percentage of people as "not seeking and postpone" or "no response" and take them out of that percentage.

These are the true 2019 "seeking employment and accepted a job offer" within 3 months of graduation:

HBS: Seeking and accepted 600 out of 928 or 65%; sponsored coming in 15%; start business & "other" 10%
GSB: Seeking and accepted 253 out of 418 or 61%; sponsored coming in 8%; start business & "other" 15%
Wharton: Seeking and accepted 621 out of 863 or 65%; sponsored coming in 12%; start business & "other" 4%
CBS: Seeking and accepted 563 out of 753 or 75%; sponsored coming in 11%; start business & family biz 6%

Few things I noticed:
1.) People trash CBS for J-term diluting the class, but reality is sponsored and rich people mix is way higher at Harvard, and slightly higher at Wharton's. I bet sponsored acceptance rate is higher at HBS and Wharton than CBS J-term. They just don't disclose it.
2.) It's pretty easy finding a $125k a year job around NYC as long as you're competent, especially a freshly minted MBA from a well known school. There are so many different industries and options here in NYC vs Boston focused on healthcare and education etc. #1 thing to get a job is hustle and show you're interested. Way easier in NYC. Try getting a marketing job out of Palo Alto. The numbers speak for themselves.
3.) I personally know plenty of H/S/W grads who drank the "change the world" cool aid, "running own business", and get nowhere in 10 years. It's not just business school, it's also undergrad, the whole higher education thing. Successful people are going to be successful, not because they chose CBS over Wharton. CBS application process seem to "weed out" the dreamers.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts