Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 17:39 It is currently 11 May 2024, 17:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2699 [26]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 609 [5]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [4]
Given Kudos: 5542
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Polygamy in Africa has been a popular topic for social research over t [#permalink]
Kudos
can someone tell how is Option A an inference in question 5
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 262
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Re: Polygamy in Africa has been a popular topic for social research over t [#permalink]
Kudos
rupanshi12 wrote:
can someone tell how is Option A an inference in question 5

See the passage told that "M" published his views in 1983,so if he did so in 1983 and the paper reiterated the views of "M" then you can infer that the paper cannot be published before the writting of "M".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 309 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
For the last question just one word in the passage makes choice A correct.

In the passage, the author says "Similarly, G.K. Nukunya, in his paper "Polygamy as a Symbol of Status," reiterated Mbiti's idea that a plurality of wives is a sign of affluence and power in the African society."

One reiterates something only after it is said or done once.
This just means that Nukunya published his paper after Mbiti did. So his paper was not published in 1981.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 521
Send PM
Can someone please explain Question 3rd?
I was confused between C and E. Selected C because I couldn't find 'current research perspectives on polygamy' anywhere in the passage. Did I miss it somewhere?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33570 [1]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello AniJain

Official Explanation

3. The passage provides each of the following, EXCEPT

Difficulty Level: 550

Explanation

On Detail questions, look for signal words. Since this is an EXCEPT question, find the statements that were mentioned in the passage and eliminate them from consideration. Make sure to use proper nouns (such as Remi Clignet) and dates (such as 1983) as your signals. Since dates and capitalized nouns stand out in the text, they can speed up the process of verifying the answer choices. (Of course, be aware that a wrong answer choice might include words from the passage but fail to include the idea behind the words.)

(A) The second sentence of the opening paragraph states that Remi Clignet published his book Many Wives, Many Powers in 1961.

(B) According to the second sentence of the second paragraph, John Mbiti proclaimed that polygamy is an accepted and respectable institution in 1983.

(C) CORRECT. The concluding paragraph mentions that women in Africa have often used literary productions…to comment on marriage but provides no specific examples of such works.

(D) According to the third paragraph of the passage, the colonial missionary opposed polygamy because it considered this practice unethical and destructive of family life.

(E) The last paragraph indicates that contemporary research is focused on examining the voice of women.

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Can somebody give a further explanation for question number 5? This is tricky!

I understand that Answer A is correct since it assumes that Nukunyas paper “Polygamy as a Symbol of Status” was not written in 1981 because she was actually reiterating John Mbiti´s paper written in 1983. However, I chose answer E, since it is also true that all the scholars mentioned seem to be African descendants regarding its names. Why this couldn't be the right answer? Is it A just more specific?
Thanks a lot!!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33570 [0]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

5. Which of the following statements can most properly be inferred from the passage?

Difficulty Level: 700-750

Explanation

Looking for an answer that can be inferred strictly based on the information given in the passage, without making any additional assumptions. Typically, the correct answer must be very closely connected to the actual text of the passage and directly supported by one or two sentences. Avoid answers that may be seen as plausible but would require information not provided in the passage.

(A) CORRECT. The second paragraph states that Nukunya's work “Polygamy as a Symbol of Status” reiterated Mbiti's idea that a plurality of wives is a legitimate sign of affluence and power. Since Nukunya's work reiterated the views of Mbiti, “Polygamy as a Symbol of Status” must have been written after Mbiti expressed his perspective on polygamy. According to the text, it was not until 1983 that John Mbiti proclaimed that polygamy is an accepted and respectable institution. Therefore, Nukunya's “Polygamy as a Symbol of Status” must have been written in 1983 or later; you can conclude that it was not written in 1981.

(B) While the text mentions that contemporary research acknowledges that the perspective of African women should receive closer attention, nothing in the passage suggests that Mbiti subsequently embraced this view and changed his initial stance.

(C) In the second sentence of the opening paragraph, the author states that when Remi Clignet published his book Many Wives, Many Powers, he was not alone in sharing the view…, suggesting that at the time of publication, other scholars viewed polygamy as a symbol of prestige and wealth. Therefore, Clignet's book may not have been the first to give this perspective.

(D) While the passage mentions that the colonial missionary opposed polygamy, viewing it as unethical and destructive, nothing in the passage suggests that polygamy was declared illegal in Africa.

(E) The passage does say that many African scholars in this era championed polygamy, but the passage does not indicate whether these scholars represented a large proportion of all of the scholars writing on polygamy.

Answer: (A)

Hope it helps

cartiro wrote:
Can somebody give a further explanation for question number 5? This is tricky!

I understand that Answer A is correct since it assumes that Nukunyas paper “Polygamy as a Symbol of Status” was not written in 1981 because she was actually reiterating John Mbiti´s paper written in 1983. However, I chose answer E, since it is also true that all the scholars mentioned seem to be African descendants regarding its names. Why this couldn't be the right answer? Is it A just more specific?
Thanks a lot!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
XavierAlexander wrote:
ammuseeru wrote:
How to infer last question. I got it wrong.

For last ques., let's compare the three most popular choices here::

(A) Nukunyas paper “Polygamy as a Symbol of Status” was not written in 1981.

CORRECT -- Follow the below mentioned lines in 2nd para.
For example, in 1983, John Mbiti proclaimed that polygamy is an accepted and respectable institution serving many useful social purposes. Similarly, G.K. Nukunya, in his paper "Polygamy as a Symbol of Status," reiterated Mbiti's idea .
This line clearly states the Nukunyas had written only after Mbiti did in 1983.

(D) Under the influence of the missionary opposition, polygamy was proclaimed illegal in Africa as a practice “unethical and destructive of family life.”

INCORRECT -- Follow the below mentioned line in 3rd para.
"..in some instances, dictating immediate divorce..".
By this line we can only infer that in only few instances opposing missionaries asked for divorces and etc. Never it has been mentioned that polygamy was declared illegal.

(E) A large proportion of the scholars writing on polygamy in the 1970s and 1980s were of African descent.

INCORRECT -- Follow the below mentioned line in 2nd para.
"..Many other African scholars who wrote on the subject became the new champions..".
By this line we can only infer that many African scholars had written on polygamy. But those number could either be 5% or 90% of all scholars who had ever written on African polygamy. We do NOT know. This is an extreme choice stating 'large proportion'.

Hope, I've been clear.
Cheers !

What if john mbiti died in 1983 only and then Nukunyas wrote it in same year.?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
UdayPratapSingh99 wrote:
XavierAlexander wrote:
ammuseeru wrote:
How to infer last question. I got it wrong.

For last ques., let's compare the three most popular choices here::

(A) Nukunyas paper “Polygamy as a Symbol of Status” was not written in 1981.

CORRECT -- Follow the below mentioned lines in 2nd para.
For example, in 1983, John Mbiti proclaimed that polygamy is an accepted and respectable institution serving many useful social purposes. Similarly, G.K. Nukunya, in his paper "Polygamy as a Symbol of Status," reiterated Mbiti's idea .
This line clearly states the Nukunyas had written only after Mbiti did in 1983.

(D) Under the influence of the missionary opposition, polygamy was proclaimed illegal in Africa as a practice “unethical and destructive of family life.”

INCORRECT -- Follow the below mentioned line in 3rd para.
"..in some instances, dictating immediate divorce..".
By this line we can only infer that in only few instances opposing missionaries asked for divorces and etc. Never it has been mentioned that polygamy was declared illegal.

(E) A large proportion of the scholars writing on polygamy in the 1970s and 1980s were of African descent.

INCORRECT -- Follow the below mentioned line in 2nd para.
"..Many other African scholars who wrote on the subject became the new champions..".
By this line we can only infer that many African scholars had written on polygamy. But those number could either be 5% or 90% of all scholars who had ever written on African polygamy. We do NOT know. This is an extreme choice stating 'large proportion'.

Hope, I've been clear.
Cheers !

What if john mbiti died in 1983 only and then Nukunyas wrote it in same year.?

Hi UdayPratapSingh99,

Even if John Mbiti died in 1983, and then Nukunya wrote it in same year, it would still not have been written in 1981 right, and that's what's the question is about.

A for Question 5 can be inferred from:
"For example, in 1983, John Mbiti proclaimed that polygamy is an accepted and respectable institution serving many useful social purposes. Similarly, G.K. Nukunya, in his paper "Polygamy as a Symbol of Status," reiterated Mbiti's idea that a plurality of wives is a sign of affluence and power in the African society."

Thus, in which year G.K. Nukunya wrote his paper, it would definitely not have been 1981, since he reiteratedMbiti's idea.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Oh yes!
Sorry my bad, I read it wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In question 2, the official answer is C, I choose D, coz in the third passage, the views of colonial missionaries have been described.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14021 posts