Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [352]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22046 [69]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [17]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Technology, Operations
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [25]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a pa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
roygush wrote:
in the figure above, if MNOPis a trapzoid and NOPRis a parallelogram, what is the area of triangular regoin MNR?

(1) The are of NOPR is 30
(2) The are of OQP is 5

If someone can please explain.
Thanks.

Dear roygush,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, here's a important geometry theorem to know:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/isosceles- ... -the-gmat/
Triangle MNR has equal base angles --- therefore, it's isosceles, which means MN = NR. Because NOPR is a parallelogram, NR = OP, so that MN = NR = OP.

Here's a version of the graph with a new perpendicular line drawn:
Attachment:
parallelogram with isosceles triangle.JPG
parallelogram with isosceles triangle.JPG [ 20.79 KiB | Viewed 147066 times ]

Because the bases are parallel, OQ = NT --- the distance between two parallel lines is always the same.

Statement #1: The area of NOPR is 30
From that, there's no way to determine the areas inside the triangle MNR. That statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Statement #2: The area of OQP is 5
Well, if the shaded region is 5, we could figure out the pieces of the isosceles triangle. Still, we wouldn't know anything about that central part, NOQR. That would remain unknown. Therefore, this statement, alone and by itself, is insufficient.

Combined statements
Now, we know the area of NOPR is 30. We know that the two little triangles, MNT and TNR, are congruent to QOP, so each has an area of 5. That gives a total area of 30 + 5 + 5 = 40 to the whole trapezoid. With both statements, we can calculate the area, so combined, the statements are sufficient.

Answer = (C)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [66]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO B

The question asks only about area of triangle MNR

In the figure given by mick..consider the two triangles NTR and OQP

angle NRT = angle OPQ ( as NR and OP are parallel and equal also)
angle NTR = angle OQP = 90 (altitudes)
=> angle TNR = angle QOP

As two angles and the corresponding side (NR and OP) are equal the two triangles, as per ASA rule,are congruent. Hence both will have same area.

Similarly the triangles MNT and NTR are congruent (ASA rule again). Hence the area of triangle MNR = area of MNT + area of NTR = 5+5 = 10
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [33]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adityapagadala wrote:
IMO B

Dear adityapagadala,
You are totally 100% correct. I am embarrassed to say --- I made the most boneheaded of all GMAT mistakes: was so concerned with analyzing the diagram, I lost track of exactly what the prompt was asking and assumed it was asking for the area of the whole. You are perfectly correct --- the answer has to be (B).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
adityapagadala wrote:
IMO B

Dear adityapagadala,
You are totally 100% correct. I am embarrassed to say --- I made the most boneheaded of all GMAT mistakes: was so concerned with analyzing the diagram, I lost track of exactly what the prompt was asking and assumed it was asking for the area of the whole. You are perfectly correct --- the answer has to be (B).

Hi Mike,

Would you mind explaining in detail why statement 1 is insufficient. I lost a lot of time on this part of the problem.

Thanks
-Chris
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Kudos
Expert Reply
CVarga wrote:
Hi Mike,
Would you mind explaining in detail why statement 1 is insufficient. I lost a lot of time on this part of the problem.
Thanks
-Chris

Dear Chris,
I'm happy to help. :-)

The area of a parallelogram is (base)*(height). We know nothing about the slant angle x, so we have no idea how much of the parallelogram the triangle occupies. First of all, we know b*h = 30 from Statement #1, but we don't know if we have a base of 1 and a height of 30, or a base of 30 and a height of 1, or something else. Furthermore, we don't know the slant angle x ----- perhaps x = 89°, nearly vertical, so that the side triangle is just a tall skinny sliver, or maybe x is something like 20° or 30°, so that the base of the triangle (QP) is most of the length of the base of the parallelogram (RP). Even knowing the parallelogram has an area of 30, we could design things consistent with this statement & the diagram so that the triangle OQP has an area of nearly zero or nearly half the parallelogram or anything in between.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
Send PM
adityapagadala wrote:
IMO B

In the figure given by mick..consider the two triangles NTR and OQP

angle NRT = angle OPQ ( as NR and OP are parallel and equal also)
angle NTR = angle OQP = 90 (altitudes)
=> angle TNR = angle QOP

As two angles and the corresponding side (NR and OP) are equal the two triangles, as per ASA rule,are congruent. Hence both will have same area.

Similarly the triangles MNT and NTR are congruent (ASA rule again). Hence the area of triangle MNR = area of MNT + area of NTR = 5+5 = 10

hey nice solution.

can you please explain the colored part it seems that NRT is exterior angle of given parallelogram, while OPQ is interior angle of the parallellogram.
how are they equal? i lack basics in these geometrical concepts.
thanks in advance.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
saggii27 wrote:
hey nice solution.

can you please explain the colored part it seems that NRT is exterior angle of given parallelogram, while OPQ is interior angle of the parallellogram.
how are they equal? i lack basics in these geometrical concepts.
thanks in advance.

Dear Saggii27,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Because NOPR is a parallelogram, this means NR is parallel to OP. This means that RP is a line that cuts across two parallel lines --- such a line is known as a "transversal." See this blog for all the angles that must be equal in this situation:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/angles-and ... -the-gmat/

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GMAT 1: 600 Q33 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Bookmarks
The official answer is B but I'm not quite understanding why we can't use A to divide the area by 3 and get 10. You can tell from the picture that it fits 3 times....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
DJ1986 wrote:
The official answer is B but I'm not quite understanding why we can't use A to divide the area by 3 and get 10. You can tell from the picture that it fits 3 times....

Never make any assumptions about figures - especially on DS

They draw them out of scale on purpose to catch people in this very trap.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a parallelogram, what is the area of triangular region MNR?

(1) The ares of NOPR is 30
(2) The area of the shaded region is 5

A) area of NOPR is 30, this is a parallelogram. It consists of two congruent triangle.

A right proved by others : triangle OPR is congruent to triangle NTR (or half of triangle NMR)

so basically triangle OPR is one of the two congruent triangles which makes up the parallelogram. Since OPR = NTR.

hence half the area of the parallelogram is the area of the req triangle MNR -----> sufficient

Im sure Im going wrong somewhere but this is what i figured in the test. Can someone please point out where am i going wrong in my logic?

Geometry is my weakest area. Thanks in advance
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Expert Reply
aniketm.87@gmail.com wrote:
In the figure above, if MNOP is a trapezoid and NOPR is a parallelogram, what is the area of triangular region MNR?

(1) The ares of NOPR is 30
(2) The area of the shaded region is 5

A) area of NOPR is 30, this is a parallelogram. It consists of two congruent triangle.

A right proved by others : triangle OPR is congruent to triangle NTR (or half of triangle NMR)

so basically triangle OPR is one of the two congruent triangles which makes up the parallelogram. Since OPR = NTR.

hence half the area of the parallelogram is the area of the req triangle MNR -----> sufficient

Im sure Im going wrong somewhere but this is what i figured in the test. Can someone please point out where am i going wrong in my logic?

Geometry is my weakest area. Thanks in advance

Dear aniketm.87,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, either diagonal of a parallelogram will indeed divide the parallelogram into two congruent triangles. Do you understand exactly what the the word "congruent" means? It means totally matching in every way: every side in one triangle is exactly equal to the corresponding side in the other, and every angle in one triangle is exactly equal to the corresponding angle in the other. It's absolutely impossible for two triangles to be congruent if one has a right angle and the other doesn't.

In parallelogram NOPR, it's true that triangle OPR is congruent to triangle NOR, but that doesn't help us answer the prompt question at all.

Triangle NTR, the right triangle that is half of triangle NMR, is not even pretending to be congruent to either OPR or NOR. Triangle NTR has a right angle, and neither OPR or NOR has a right angle.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
"As two angles and the corresponding side (NR and OP) are equal the two triangles, as per ASA rule,are congruent. Hence both will have same area."

Is this theory true ? can someone please confirm this.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos