Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619106 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
jeff1090 wrote:
Hi. I think you have a good shot. Your stats are generally in line (above GPA, slightly below GMAT). Your background would be a good fit for the program. I think what's most important to articulate is your passion for the school and how you'll be an active member in the community. McCombs more than other schools is concerned about being a safety for those rejected from the top 10. Understand that McCombs is much more of a regional player and thus you may struggle to find a quality role in the California area if that's your post MBA plans (esp. competing with UCLA / Berkeley).

Best of luck!

Thanks for the insight, that's a good point on the passion, definitely want to let them know why I'm interested in them particularly. I'm a bit surprised by the second portion of what you said, have you found the name recognition doesn't carry throughout the US? I understand, of course it's not a Harvard/Stanford/etc, but I would've thought a top 15 school was still recognized nationwide.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: McCombs Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
forsellingonline1 wrote:
Great profile. I think you have great chances of getting a call.

Thanks for the feedback!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I would differentiate "recognizable" from "competitive landscape". McCombs has a great reputation nationwide, however from a recruiting lens there's a value that McCombs has in being the best school in it's region (southwest) - - that's inherently going to detract focus from other areas where the competition is saturated, like California, especially given the size of the class (only about 260 students).

Is it possible, or even probable, that you can get a great gig in the west coast? Absolutely. There may just be more competition for those roles.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jeff1090 wrote:
I would differentiate "recognizable" from "competitive landscape". McCombs has a great reputation nationwide, however from a recruiting lens there's a value that McCombs has in being the best school in it's region (southwest) - - that's inherently going to detract focus from other areas where the competition is saturated, like California, especially given the size of the class (only about 260 students).

Is it possible, or even probable, that you can get a great gig in the west coast? Absolutely. There may just be more competition for those roles.

I see, thanks for clarifying, certainly a good point.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
bigjohn17 wrote:
Hi, thanks for taking the time to give some feedback, here's my profile. Any commentary/advice/etc. would be much appreciated.

About Me:

Caucasian Male
26 (5 years of work experience)
GMAT: 680I would say while not a slam dunk- would not automatically exclude if all else strong.
GPA: 3.94 (from a mid-tier west coast private school)
Undergrad: Double degrees in Finance and Economics (Summa Cum Laude in both).

Work Experience

Finance (fairly high visibility role) at a large Silicon Valley tech company (think Google, Apple, Facebook). I've also done a stint overseas as well, not sure if this would be beneficial for my application.Absolutely mention global work!

Extracurriculars

Working as a finance mentor with a non-profit organization to advise startups in developing countries on their books and how to best position themselves financially for potential investment.

I think the strong GPA and strong work give you a real shot! Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
bigjohn17 wrote:
Hi, thanks for taking the time to give some feedback, here's my profile. Any commentary/advice/etc. would be much appreciated.

About Me:

Caucasian Male
GMAT: 680I would say while not a slam dunk- would not automatically exclude if all else strong.
GPA: 3.94 (from a mid-tier west coast private school)
Undergrad: Double degrees in Finance and Economics (Summa Cum Laude in both).

Work Experience

Finance (fairly high visibility role) at a large Silicon Valley tech company (think Google, Apple, Facebook). I've also done a stint overseas as well, not sure if this would be beneficial for my application.Absolutely mention global work!

Extracurriculars

Working as a finance mentor with a non-profit organization to advise startups in developing countries on their books and how to best position themselves financially for potential investment.

I think the strong GPA and strong work give you a real shot! Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Would really be thankful if you guys can take a look at my profile

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 700 Q 50 V 34 (Giving the exam again on 13th of next month)
Undergrad 7.29/10 from IIIT Hyderabad (Next to old IITs sorta collage)
12th 93% 10th 88%

Work Ex: 4 years by the time I start my MBA

Currently with Grab Singapore (Backend engineer)
Previously 2 years 2 months at Google India as a Software Engineer
Although this does not count (10 months Research intern with CA during undergrad and Summer intern at Groupon)

Achievements and Extra Curriculars:

1. U14 State level Kabaddi (Represented Odisha)
2. Cultural Head for annual techno cultural fest of Undergrad university [ And also Cultural head for 2 successive years for intra college events]
3. Ed Support volunteer at Make A difference ( ~ 8 months)
4. ACM ICPC two times onsite under 30 ranked team
5. TA for artificial intelligence in Undergrad
6. School(High school and Primary) level certificates for few sports and cultural events

Any suggestions or any idea about the chances?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.42
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi, it would be great help understanding my chances at McCombs. I will be applying in Fall 2017, ideally Round 1:

- 26 year-old, white, male, consultant
- UVA undergrad with a BA in Economics, 3.42 GPA but I have an upward trend and a major GPA of 3.5
- GMAT: 710 (48Q/40V/8IR/6AWA)
- I work at a big 4 consulting firm in the Federal space and have been doing systems engineering in the healthcare industry. I have been working at this firm since 2013 and will have 5 years experience at matriculation. Outside of project work, I have been involved with the UVA recruiting team including leading a team of 9-11 junior staff for two years, participated on two business development efforts, and participated in multiple internal innovation competitions. I have been the most junior staff on my project for the majority of my career and have not had much direct leadership experience within my client work. I have received two promotions in four years
- I volunteer as a local little league baseball coach for kids ages 12-15 for two years
- I am working on obtaining sponsorship from my firm to return post-MBA in order to receive reimbursement. My number one goal is to remain in the healthcare industry after B-school whether with my firm in the healthcare industry to receive the reimbursement or with a tech firm with a focus on healthcare innovation

- Assuming I am accepted to my firm's sponsorship program, is this something I should mention on my resume/essays/etc.?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 680 Q43 V41
Send PM
Looking for insight as well

About Me:

Caucasian Male
GMAT: 680 (taking again, aiming for 710)
GPA: 3.419 (from University of Arizona)
Undergrad: BS in Accounting

Work Experience
Management Positions in Sales and Marketing for two financial services companies (one retirement plan consulting firm and one equity research firm)
CFA Level 1 Passed

Extracurriculars
Volunteer Football Coach at local high school
Past Golf-Committee Chairman for the Arizona Technology Council
Past Vice President of Young Professionals Group
Founding father of fraternity during undergraduate
Interfraternity President during undergraduate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi @laytonjacobs,

Trust you are doing well.

Thank you for sharing your profile.

I run an admission consulting firm – and based on my experience of working with applicants who got success with their McCombs applications, below is my feedback :
Your experience (both in terms of volume as well as diversity) is one of the highlights of your profile. You will need to showcase the value add you made in the niche Retirements Services industry and in an advisory role in an equity research firm. CFA degree further shows that you are passionate about finance and want to make a career out of it.

In lieu of your experience, you should portray your goals in the Financial Services industry, preferably in customer facing front end. You should refer to the following equation while narrating your short and long term goals :
X+Y=Z, where X : Your current Skill sets ; Z : Skill sets required as per your short term goal ; Y – Bridge/ gap that will be plugged by the MBA program.

GMAT : 680 is slightly on the lower side, and a score of 700 along with a compelling application will strengthen your application and make your candidature a competitive one.

Extra curricular : You seemed to have been involved in multiple initiatives. However, you will have to prudently chose only a few of them for highlighting such that the ad com doesn’t get a false impression that you are all over the place. Alternatively, you should find a common theme / inspiration behind all your extra curricular involvements.

In fact, one of my clients from the Retirements Practice industry got into McCombs this year. Although, he was more from a technology background and ended up choosing another school over McCombs, I can definitely get you connected with him.

Cheers and Wish you the very best
AB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Kudos
Akay91.
I am a Canadian national but Indian origin.
The very common theme i have seen here (and elsewhere) is that many of us (Asian sub-continent) think that a few achievements (however significant) would suffice extra curricular activities.
It is great that you represented Orrisa / Odisha in the past and you must have reached there by consistent hard work. But what about now?
What adcom looks for in that section is commitment, direction and values. You have a strong profile, except for GMAT (for Indian, Male, Software Engr), if you can show there is something that you believe in and have been involved with, that will certainly help.

akay91 wrote:
Would really be thankful if you guys can take a look at my profile

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 700 Q 50 V 34 (Giving the exam again on 13th of next month)
Undergrad 7.29/10 from IIIT Hyderabad (Next to old IITs sorta collage)
12th 93% 10th 88%

Work Ex: 4 years by the time I start my MBA

Currently with Grab Singapore (Backend engineer)
Previously 2 years 2 months at Google India as a Software Engineer
Although this does not count (10 months Research intern with CA during undergrad and Summer intern at Groupon)

Achievements and Extra Curriculars:

1. U14 State level Kabaddi (Represented Odisha)
2. Cultural Head for annual techno cultural fest of Undergrad university [ And also Cultural head for 2 successive years for intra college events]
3. Ed Support volunteer at Make A difference ( ~ 8 months)
4. ACM ICPC two times onsite under 30 ranked team
5. TA for artificial intelligence in Undergrad
6. School(High school and Primary) level certificates for few sports and cultural events

Any suggestions or any idea about the chances?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 680 Q43 V41
Send PM
Kudos
CrackAdmission wrote:
Hi @laytonjacobs,

Trust you are doing well.

Thank you for sharing your profile.

I run an admission consulting firm – and based on my experience of working with applicants who got success with their McCombs applications, below is my feedback :
Your experience (both in terms of volume as well as diversity) is one of the highlights of your profile. You will need to showcase the value add you made in the niche Retirements Services industry and in an advisory role in an equity research firm. CFA degree further shows that you are passionate about finance and want to make a career out of it.

In lieu of your experience, you should portray your goals in the Financial Services industry, preferably in customer facing front end. You should refer to the following equation while narrating your short and long term goals :
X+Y=Z, where X : Your current Skill sets ; Z : Skill sets required as per your short term goal ; Y – Bridge/ gap that will be plugged by the MBA program.

GMAT : 680 is slightly on the lower side, and a score of 700 along with a compelling application will strengthen your application and make your candidature a competitive one.

Extra curricular : You seemed to have been involved in multiple initiatives. However, you will have to prudently chose only a few of them for highlighting such that the ad com doesn’t get a false impression that you are all over the place. Alternatively, you should find a common theme / inspiration behind all your extra curricular involvements.

In fact, one of my clients from the Retirements Practice industry got into McCombs this year. Although, he was more from a technology background and ended up choosing another school over McCombs, I can definitely get you connected with him.

Cheers and Wish you the very best
AB

What if I don't want to work in finance anymore? I want to move into corporate strategy either via consulting or leadership development programs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Can anyone give me tips on getting into UT Mccombs MBA?

I am about to transfer to UT Dallas from a community college. My major is computer science. After undergrad I am going into the army. My main objective is getting into Mccombs MBA after the army, other than a high GPA and a high GMAT score, what else do I need? What are the things I need to do now during my undergraduate in order to get into Mccombs? What type of extracurricular activities would stand out? Any suggestion would help. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Kudos
needmbaaaaa wrote:
Can anyone give me tips on getting into UT Mccombs MBA?

I am about to transfer to UT Dallas from a community college. My major is computer science. After undergrad I am going into the army. My main objective is getting into Mccombs MBA after the army, other than a high GPA and a high GMAT score, what else do I need? What are the things I need to do now during my undergraduate in order to get into Mccombs? What type of extracurricular activities would stand out? Any suggestion would help. Thanks.

Get involved.
I am sure when you are certain about joining army post-graduation, you would have a few good reasons for it. Now, find similar activities (not necessary armed forces chapter at the school), which resonates with your reasons for joining the army. And by any chance, if they (the reason(s)) become the reason you want your MBA, it will make your story very compelling.
If it is not the same - that is army is good so that you won't be paying tuition, etc. then, start thinking of why you want an MBA (you already have chose that path - you'd have some reasons). And then start building upon them.
If nothing else, volunteer with a direction. Stay with one / a few venues and gain leadership experience and show commitment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hello,

Background and nationality: Indian
Undergrad Information: Electrical Engineering, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore-7.7/10
Graduate: Arizona State University, Master's in Power and Energy Systems 3.3/4
GMAT:760
Work experience and leadership: Working for one of the biggest engineering consulting company in the power space. Worked with clients like AEP, Duke, PG&E etc
Community and others: Toastmasters, Ran Marathons , Some local community service
Post MBA goals: Energy consulting

Please let me know my chances

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Request Guidance on my Profile for McCombs

Undergrad: Electronics & Comm. Engineering 7.45/10 GPA (Non-IIT)
Post Grad: MBA in Finance from one of the Top 15 Institutes in India CGPA 2.45/4.0 (Topper had a CGPA of 3.4/4.0) (Non-IIM)
Total Work Experience: 7.7 Years at the time of Matriculation (General Mgmt. in Entrepreneurship with focus on Sales, Sales in Banking, Business Analyst in IT)

Most recent Work Ex: 4 Years as a Managing Team member of USD 3 Million Turnover Family Business Firm (into Industrial Engineering Trading)
2.2 Years at 4th Largest Private Bank in India as a Relationship Manager into Commercial Banking for Medium Sized Corporate sector Focus on New Business)
1.4 Years at Indian IT Giant as a Business Analyst in Banking Domain

GMAT: 710 (Q-47,V-40)

Short Term /Medium term Goal: Work in an Entrepreneurial ,nascent stage start-up company to drive sales growth and eventually return to manage the Family business with an objective to expand it internationally

Reason for 2nd MBA: The first MBA helped me hone my basic skills on management of small sized businesses as well as financial management. An international MBA of such repute will help me network with people at a much wider level across nationalities, diverse industries & functions, multinational corporations , equipping me better to be able to transition a medium sized business to international arena.

Thanks
KM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Background and nationality: 26, male, caucasian. Born in the UK, but have British, Irish and Canadian passports

Undergrad Information: BA in Politics from University College London (3.7GPA); MA in Politics from KU Leuven

GMAT: GRE - 326

Work experience and leadership: Live and work in Dubai. Employed as a senior consultant at a small advisory firm. Also worked in British Parliament, and for a large PR firm. My function is policy and communications consulting.

I was also a trainee officer in the army, but left to relocate to Dubai.

Professional work experience amounts to 3 years, will be 4 when I begin my MBA.

Post MBA goals: Stay in communications/policy, but go in at a higher level (management)

Anything else? I won't be able to discuss a lot of the work I do on my application as a portion of it (at least the interesting stuff), is government-led and, therefore, under NDA.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6