Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi altairahmad -

I think Sloan is possible, but may be challenging. I would go for it, but make sure you have some backup options too. In particular, Sloan sees many applicants from an engineering background, and your GPA is slightly low (Sloan's average is 3.6). Plus as you point out your company now is not well known and you haven't had any promotions. So, make sure there is other evidence of your increasing responsibilities and impact (resume, recommendations). I do think your experience working in different countries and for the MNC previously will be valuable though. And your test scores are excellent.

It also seems your extracurriculars could use a boost -- there's still time to add new roles or expand existing ones before round 1!

Best of luck!
Kate

altairahmad wrote:
Please evaluate my profile for my dream school !

Bio : 28, Male, Pakistani
Education : B.E. Mechanical (3.36/4.00 CGPA) from NUST on partial scholarship (Ranked 1st in Pakistan in Engineering)
M.S Mechanical (3.75/4.00 CGPA) from KFUPM on full scholarship (Ranked 1st in Middle East)
Work experience : Post B.E - Dutch MNC (in Pak) - Project Engineer for 10 months (discontinued to pursue MS)
Post M.S - Saudi Chemical Company (Not MNC/fairly unknown)- Plant Engineer for 3 years - no promotions
Test Scores : GMAT 750, TOEFL iBT 115
Other achievements : Attended international conferences in USA and China during MS program. International journal publications.
Volunteer/EC : Active in societies and office holder during B.E. None after that.
Participated in earth quake relief. No formal association with NGO.
Extra : Lead the first ever team to Shell Eco Marathon in Malaysia (during B.E.), raised funding for competition etc.
Post MBA concentration: Management Consulting

With above profile, is MIT Sloan doable ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Sloan Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Indian, Female, 30 Years

GMAT – 720

Undergrad: Bachelor of Technology (Electrical Engineering) – (Non-IIT---top 5% in the university) – (2004-2008)-4.0 GPA
Grad: Master of Science (Computer Science) – Univ of California, Davis – (2010-2013)-3.6 GPA

Work Experience:
After Undegrad:
Lectureship at Government Engineering College (2008-2010)
Mentor at Training and Placement Cell for the students at that college
After Masters:
Software Engineer at Cisco Systems, San Jose from 2012-present, with one promotion.
-Leading the team as a senior software engineer,
-Interaction with marketing (product management/TMEs) and marketing for narrowing down the features customer ask for
-leading cross functional team for delivering software successfully
-driving from front the customer serviceability requests for our products

Extra Curriculars –
- Volunteering at a certain Engineering College in India for placement guidance, campus preparation and resume review.
- Organizing various events in our Business Unit at Cisco, from Socials or Picnics to hackathon etc.
- Mentoring new hires and Interns
- Organizing volunteering activities for our cross-functional group at Cisco.
- Part of team organizing fund-raising (In Silicon Valley) for education of underprivileged children in India.
- Organized Hepatitis B vaccination drive at my mother's work place (one of the most reputed banks in India) for 5 consecutive years

Hobbies -
- Dance (founder of dance/drama club in my undergrad college)
- sports (winner of University badminton championships in undergrad for 3 years, stopped after knee injury)

Achievements:
- Won multiple hackathons at Cisco (couple of them where I was the team leader)
- Won multiple awards at Cisco for recognizing my performance and leadership
- Won scholarship till under graduation from State Bank Of India on Merit

Please advice if Sloan is achievable or is a stretch?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SSM2019!

There are a few things that stand out to me in your profile. First is your experience studying and working in the US. That will definitely help differentiate your application from a very crowded pool of Indian applicants. Second is that you've clearly been a top performer at work with the awards, competition wins, promotion. I hope that means you will have really strong recommendation letters. Third is that on top of that, you've been really involved and a contributor to your team and office culture, I think Sloan in particular will really value those contributions.

There are some challenges in your profile, namely the demographic one, but I think also GMAT is not helping. I would advise a retake if possible. Right now, I think Sloan is a stretch; with a higher GMAT and excellent execution of your application, plus other personal factors that are hard to evaluate over email :) I think you could have a good shot.

Feel free to reach out to us if you'd like to chat further: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/
Best of luck!
Kate

SSM2019 wrote:
Indian, Female, 30 Years

GMAT – 720

Undergrad: Bachelor of Technology (Electrical Engineering) – (Non-IIT---top 5% in the university) – (2004-2008)-4.0 GPA
Grad: Master of Science (Computer Science) – Univ of California, Davis – (2010-2013)-3.6 GPA

Work Experience:
After Undegrad:
After Masters:
Software Engineer at Cisco Systems, San Jose from 2012-present, with one promotion.
-Interaction with marketing (product management/TMEs) and marketing for narrowing down the features customer ask for

Extra Curriculars –
- Volunteering at a certain Engineering College in India for placement guidance, campus preparation and resume review.
- Organizing various events in our Business Unit at Cisco, from Socials or Picnics to hackathon etc.
- Part of team organizing fund-raising (In Silicon Valley) for education of underprivileged children in India.
- Organized Hepatitis B vaccination drive at my mother's work place (one of the most reputed banks in India) for 5 consecutive years

Hobbies -
- sports (winner of University badminton championships in undergrad for 3 years, stopped after knee injury)

Achievements:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
mbaMissionKate, thanks for reviewing the profile. I am planning to retake the GMAT and hoping for a 750 score (my practice scores are in 730-750 range)

Yes, I will be able to get good recommendation from my team lead and from the head of volunteering organization where I volunteer.

I am curious if it helps that I am a permanent resident and will be a US citizen at the time of 2019 class start. Will it address my demographic constraints?
Send PM
Expert Reply
That's great. Excellent practice scores. That will help your chances. The citizenship change will help too, as that makes you even more employable post-MBA. My evaluation is looking brighter now :-)

SSM2019 wrote:
mbaMissionKate, thanks for reviewing the profile. I am planning to retake the GMAT and hoping for a 750 score (my practice scores are in 730-750 range)

Yes, I will be able to get good recommendation from my team lead and from the head of volunteering organization where I volunteer.

I am curious if it helps that I am a permanent resident and will be a US citizen at the time of 2019 class start. Will it address my demographic constraints?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi SSM2019,

I guess it all depends on what you've accomplished at CISCO. You definitely have a good academic profile. Great EC background as well.

At the outset, the fact that you work in the technology industry will make the application very competitive for you, especially given that you are an Indian applicant. Your GMAT is on the lower side for a top 10 school, as well.

Having said that, if you have had a transformational impact at CISCO - this could be worth a shot. If possible, do a retake of the GMAT as well. Also, be open to applying to a few schools that are not that competitive.

If you need to chat more, please feel free to schedule an appointment using the link below.

Best,
Karthik

SSM2019 wrote:
Indian, Female, 30 Years

GMAT – 720

Work Experience:
After Undegrad:
After Masters:

Extra Curriculars –

Hobbies -

Achievements:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Hi,

Request a profile evaluation for Sloan MBA(Full Time). Many thanks.

Languages: English, Hindi, French(Currently learning and will be appearing for DELF intermediate exams soon)

GMAT: 750(Q49 V44)

Undergraduate Degree: Bachelor in Management Studies(Specialization: Finance) - 2013 from University of Mumbai(Achieved distinction - 75%)

Work Experience: 26 months in Citigroup's Mumbai Office as a research analyst(research, team leadership, mentoring/training). Post Citigroup, started my own business in 2016(Currently doing this)

Hobbies:

Guitar(Level 2 certified from Trinity College, London)
Sports(Table Tennis)

Achievements:

Achieved 1st rank in Grade 12(92.2%)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi rhnbansal,

At the outset, this is a tricky benchmark. You've got many positives on your profile - Excellent GMAT. Great brand name in Citi. And Entrepreneurial experience.

Having said that, there are still many small things that will matter:

1) What kind of company did you start? How did you grow the company? What are you doing to do about it when you get to business school?

2) What are your post-MBA goals?

3) Why is MIT a fit? According to you.

The clearer you are able to articulate all of these, the better your candidature will be for MIT. If you wish, please set up a profile evaluation session with us, and we can discuss more.

Later,
Karthik

rhnbansal wrote:
Hi,

Languages: English, Hindi, French(Currently learning and will be appearing for DELF intermediate exams soon)

Undergraduate Degree: Bachelor in Management Studies(Specialization: Finance) - 2013 from University of Mumbai(Achieved distinction - 75%)

Work Experience: 26 months in Citigroup's Mumbai Office as a research analyst(research, team leadership, mentoring/training). Post Citigroup, started my own business in 2016(Currently doing this)

Hobbies:

Sports(Table Tennis)

Achievements:

VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello rhnbansal

While you have a lot going for you (strong Acads + GMAT + EC), a meaningful feedback would require a deeper understanding of your career progression, achievements and career goals.
The nature of your work currently and the achievements there are equally important.
All these factors will be evaluated by Sloan in a holistic manner. (You can read more here)
Also, without career goals evaluating a fit becomes difficult. You could add to your goals research by reading here.
Should you wish to discuss your profile in detail, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

rhnbansal wrote:
Hi,

Hobbies:

Sports(Table Tennis)

Achievements:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.3
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
My main concern is my low GPA and jumpy career history (circling around the sales/PR/marketing drain, and switching industries from toys to SaaS (tech), before settling in Sales/SaaS 3-4 years ago). I've accomplished a lot at the companies I've worked for, received 5 promotions and held leadership roles for the last 3 years, but it's still not very impressive.

During undergrad, I was seriously ill, once homeless, and worked full-time while studying, so I'm hoping this will shine a brighter light on my dim academics and inconsistent profile. I want my themes to be 1. failing, and then picking myself back up again to show tenacity, and 2. overcoming obstacles, and now wanting to start my own company to make the world a better place.

Academics:
- 3.29 GPA, social sciences
- 730 GMAT (RETAKING aiming for a 780)
- Completing HBX CORe (Harvard business 'prep' course) soon with a goal of an A (4.0) average
- Undergrad was at Harvard Extension School (I'm not sure how this is regarded at MIT?)

Work Experience:
- American, 3 years of international experience (Germany - working language proficiency)
- 8 years of professional experience, 4 years in people management/leadership roles
- Managed 15 people at maximum, now managing around 5 people (switched companies, and now growing the team from 0 to 5)
- 5 promotions, from intern >associate > senior associate > team lead > senior manager > head of sales
- Starting my own company, in the very early stages

Life Background:
- Aged 30
- Experienced a life-threatening illness and homeless during undergrad - hence the low GPA
- Also worked full-time during all of undergrad, taking classes at night
- Decent amount of volunteering experience
- "Theme" of my application is overcoming hardship/life threatening illness/and homelessness, and now wanting to start my own company and make the world a better place
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.3
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
My main concern is my low GPA and jumpy career history (circling around the sales/PR/marketing drain, and switching industries from toys to SaaS (tech), before settling in Sales/SaaS 3-4 years ago). I've accomplished a lot at the companies I've worked for, received 5 promotions and held leadership roles for the last 3 years, but it's still not very impressive.

During undergrad, I was seriously ill, once homeless, and worked full-time while studying, so I'm hoping this will shine a brighter light on my dim academics and inconsistent profile. I want my themes to be 1. failing, and then picking myself back up again to show tenacity, and 2. overcoming obstacles, and now wanting to start my own company to make the world a better place.

Academics:
- Completing HBX CORe (Harvard business 'prep' course) soon with a goal of an A (4.0) average
- Undergrad was at Harvard Extension School

Work Experience:
- American, 3 years of international experience (Germany - working language proficiency)
- 8 years of professional experience, 4 years in people management/leadership roles
- Managed 15 people at maximum, now managing around 5 people (switched companies, and now growing the team from 0 to 5)
- 5 promotions, from intern >associate > senior associate > team lead > senior manager > head of sales

Life Background:
- Aged 30
- Experienced a life-threatening illness and homeless during undergrad - hence the low GPA
- "Theme" of my application is overcoming hardship/life threatening illness/and homelessness, and now wanting to start my own company and make the world a better place
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
I've replied to your question here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-august-a ... l#p2092970

berliner wrote:

Academics:
- Undergrad was at Harvard Extension School

Work Experience:

Life Background:
- Aged 30
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach
mbaMissionKate
AugustAcademy

Kindly review my profile

Indian, Male, 30 Years

GMAT – 680 expecting

Undergrad: Bachelor of Technology (Electrical Engineering) –– (2007-2011)-6.8/10 GPA

Work Experience: 6.5yrs

Working as a Software Engineer at top 10 tech company of India, from 2012-present, and had been in 5 different position from trainee to technical associate. Interaction with client for narrowing down the requirements. Leading multiple teams
Awarded Insta Award for successfully delivering multiple projects efficiently and within timeline.
Received many appreciation mails for handling critical projects and providing solutions for complex requirements.
Given sessions for different technologies to new hires and Interns

Extra Curriculars

Organized HYSEA 2017 and HYSEA 2018 Inter Corporate chess competition in which 18 different multinational companies participated for the chess tournament.
Organized HYDRANALINE CHESS competition multiple times .
Organized 3rd Inter DC Indoor sports competition in which 9 different DC participated .
Volunteered and participated in various Marathon.
Brown belt in karate and participated in various national level karate competition.

Social responsibility:

Volunteered in multiple times in POLIO vaccination drive in which more than 10000 children was vaccinated in a day
Been part of CSR in which I have taught maths for to under privileged children.
Part of team organizing fund-raising for education of underprivileged children in India.

Achievements:

Winner at the first Youth Duathlon(Running and Cycling) 2018 competition.
Winner of Hydrenaline 2016 Chess tournament.
Runner Up at the HYSEA 2017 inter corporate Chess tournament.
Runner Up at the First InterDC Indoor chess tournament.
Winner of Club level Karate competion.

Kindly let me know my chances .

Target MIT,INSEAD,ROSS,TUCK

Originally posted by kunalcvrce on 12 Jul 2018, 19:42.
Last edited by kunalcvrce on 13 Jul 2018, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hello kunalcvrce

Yours is a mixed bag.
Let us start with the good-
Extracurricular look pretty strong. The EC, Social and Achievements will definitely help you, but more than just a laundry list make sure to bring out the impact and stories behind these and show the real person behind all of this in your application. You should use these to up you diversity since you otherwise come from an over-represented background.
Career progression seems solid too, but do mention how many years does it usually take to reach the position of technical associate from trainee. In short, are you much better than your peers? Secondly, since you come from a technical profile, bring out your achievements and real impact on the business of your company. (Awards/promotions are not achievements in themselves, they are the result of your achievements/contributions).
Let us come to the not so good now-
GMAT and past acads are a glaring weakness, especially for the list of your schools. repeating myself here, especially, because of your Indian IT background which already score high. So to stand out I'd recommend at least a 720+.
In addition the most critical piece of your profile is missing- Career Goals. What is that you wish to achieve and why is an MBA an absolute necessity to reach your goal? You could add to your research by reading here.
To conclude your profile will need a spike in Acads (no spike), Work Ex (potential spike), Diversity (Definitely a spike if use EC/Social work well) and Career Goals (missing info) to get an admission. You can read here on how to land up in these schools
Good idea to bump up the GMAT and finalize realistic goals to fit your profile and the schools'.
Let me know should you have any questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

kunalcvrce wrote:
MBAPrepCoach
mbaMissionKate
Kindly review my profile

Indian, Male, 30 Years

GMAT – 680 expecting

Undergrad: Bachelor of Technology (Electrical Engineering) –– (2007-2011)-6.8/10 GPA

Working as a Software Engineer at top 10 tech company of India, from 2012-present, and had been in 5 different position from trainee to technical associate. Interaction with client for narrowing down the requirements. Leading multiple teams
Awarded Insta Award for successfully delivering multiple projects efficiently and within timeline.
Received many appreciation mails for handling critical projects and providing solutions for complex requirements.

Extra Curriculars

Organized HYSEA 2017 and HYSEA 2018 Inter Corporate chess competition in which 18 different multinational companies participated for the chess tournament.
Organized 3rd Inter DC Indoor sports competition in which 9 different DC participated .
Brown belt in karate and participated in various national level karate competition.

Social responsibility:

Volunteered in multiple times in POLIO vaccination drive in which more than 10000 children was vaccinated in a day
Part of team organizing fund-raising for education of underprivileged children in India.

Achievements:

MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
kunalcvrce I'm afraid I won't be able to I've added a couple of clients and will be pretty busy

https://mbaprepcoach.com
Manager
Manager
Send PM
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello kunalcvrce

Yours is a mixed bag.
Let us start with the good-
Extracurricular look pretty strong. The EC, Social and Achievements will definitely help you, but more than just a laundry list make sure to bring out the impact and stories behind these and show the real person behind all of this in your application. You should use these to up you diversity since you otherwise come from an over-represented background.
Career progression seems solid too, but do mention how many years does it usually take to reach the position of technical associate from trainee. In short, are you much better than your peers? Secondly, since you come from a technical profile, bring out your achievements and real impact on the business of your company. (Awards/promotions are not achievements in themselves, they are the result of your achievements/contributions).
Let us come to the not so good now-
GMAT and past acads are a glaring weakness, especially for the list of your schools. repeating myself here, especially, because of your Indian IT background which already score high. So to stand out I'd recommend at least a 720+.
In addition the most critical piece of your profile is missing- Career Goals. What is that you wish to achieve and why is an MBA an absolute necessity to reach your goal? You could add to your research by reading here.
To conclude your profile will need a spike in Acads (no spike), Work Ex (potential spike), Diversity (Definitely a spike if use EC/Social work well) and Career Goals (missing info) to get an admission. You can read here on how to land up in these schools
Good idea to bump up the GMAT and finalize realistic goals to fit your profile and the schools'.
Let me know should you have any questions.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

kunalcvrce wrote:
MBAPrepCoach
mbaMissionKate
Kindly review my profile

Indian, Male, 30 Years

GMAT – 680 expecting

Extra Curriculars

Social responsibility:

Achievements:

Thanks oneMBAcoach

Please let me know what chance do I have for my above mentined colleges, if i reach the target score of 720+
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
kunalcvrce I'm afraid I won't be able to I've added a couple of clients and will be pretty busy

https://mbaprepcoach.com

MBAPrepCoach
No problem. Thanks for your response. :-)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  21   
Moderators:
Sloan and Fuqua Moderator
12 posts
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts