Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 19:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask August Academy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask August Academy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 22:46
Ideally 2 more years of work experience Akash.

These schools are difficult for people at all points in time - but you will have a competitive shot in 2 years. (Read that as 40 - 50% shot, and compare this number to their actual selectivity).

Hope this helps,
Karthik

akashsriv1993 wrote:
Thanks Karthik!

Do you think these schools will be in my achievable zone next year or will they be a stretch for me?

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

http://www.mbaadmissions.augustacademy.in

Schedule a free consultation with us.

Click here to view GMATclub verified student testimonials.

Click here to view all our student testimonials.

If you like this post - please give us kudos :) Thanks much!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 06:21
Hi August Academy,

I'm currently preparing for my GMAT and would be preparing my MBA applications for Fall 2018.

As far as work ex is concerned, I've worked with PwC as an Article Trainee for two years in their Assurance department and with Standard Chartered bank for a year as a Financial Analyst.

Right now, i have two job offers available, the first of which is a role in LatAm Financial Reporting in HSBC, and the other being that of an Investment Research Analyst in a small hedge fund.

The job profile in the hedge fund seems to be far better than the one at HSBC and seems to offer more room to grow, but a few people have warned me against it stating that the "big name" of HSBC is far more valuable as far as Admission Committees are concerned.

I would really like some help in figuring out which of these roles would help my application more.

Thanks,
Vibhav.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 3

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 22:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Vibhav,

Assuming the hedge fund is at minimum scale - say tens of million dollars under management (or has tangible growth plans to get there and beyond) - take that. The quality of the work you get to do, and the amount of growth you are able to show will be far more valuable than HSBC's brand.

Regards,
Karthik

Vibhavsharma wrote:
Hi August Academy,

I'm currently preparing for my GMAT and would be preparing my MBA applications for Fall 2018.

As far as work ex is concerned, I've worked with PwC as an Article Trainee for two years in their Assurance department and with Standard Chartered bank for a year as a Financial Analyst.

Right now, i have two job offers available, the first of which is a role in LatAm Financial Reporting in HSBC, and the other being that of an Investment Research Analyst in a small hedge fund.

The job profile in the hedge fund seems to be far better than the one at HSBC and seems to offer more room to grow, but a few people have warned me against it stating that the "big name" of HSBC is far more valuable as far as Admission Committees are concerned.

I would really like some help in figuring out which of these roles would help my application more.

Thanks,
Vibhav.

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 09:05
Hello

I am looking forward to apply in international MBA programs for fall 2017 session. Could you please give me insight which programs I should choose for a career in management consulting post MBA.
My Profile:
Nationality/Gender/Age - Indian/M/27
GMAT- 720 (50,38)
Academic qualification - BTech, IIT Roorkee
CGPA - 8.43/10
10th- 88%
12th- 88%

Work experience:
A total of 6.5 years experience in manufacturing an engineering sector.
Currently working as Senior Engineer in engineering department of the one of India's largest manufacturing company. This is a public sector company as well.
~6.5 years experience in thermal power plants set up, plants operations, manufacturing of various components and selection of their materials.
- Consultant to Design group for material selection
- Responsible for quality control of incoming material.
- Vendor development and material inspection.
- Review various metallurgical processes like steel making, forging, casting, weld repair, heat treatment.
- Part of material management team.
~ Done number of projects as a leader as well as member to enhance productivity or to save money for the company.
~Done a course on project management

International Exposure:
Did internship in Germany for 3 month during BTech
Worked with people from diverse nationalities and ethnic backgrounds.

Extra –Curricular activities/Achievements:
Published a research paper in an International journal of high impact factor
Won various awards in paper presentation contest during BTech
Received DAAD scholarship to pursue internship in Germany
Organized various events during college festivals.

Post MBA plans:
Work in management/strategy consulting

Kindly evaluate my profile and let me know which schools Should I target. I have shortlisted some colleges like Emory, Hass, Darden, Anderson, Tuck. Pls tell me what are the chances in these colleges and some practical colleges as well. I will also be applying for indian clgs like ISB and IIMs.

Look forward to hearing back
Thanks
Panbhl
Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2016, 09:35
Hi Panbhi,

We seem to have missed this post.

You have an interesting profile, but based on what you've mentioned the inside stories in your profile are not coming out clearly. The average Indian applicant will find it difficult to get into some of the schools that you mention. Having said that you might have some leadership experiences in your backstory that will make it possible for you.

If you wish, please reach out to us for a consultation, and we can chat further.

Regards,
Karthik

panbhl wrote:
Hello

I am looking forward to apply in international MBA programs for fall 2017 session. Could you please give me insight which programs I should choose for a career in management consulting post MBA.
My Profile:
Nationality/Gender/Age - Indian/M/27
GMAT- 720 (50,38)
Academic qualification - BTech, IIT Roorkee
CGPA - 8.43/10
10th- 88%
12th- 88%

Work experience:
A total of 6.5 years experience in manufacturing an engineering sector.
Currently working as Senior Engineer in engineering department of the one of India's largest manufacturing company. This is a public sector company as well.
~6.5 years experience in thermal power plants set up, plants operations, manufacturing of various components and selection of their materials.
- Consultant to Design group for material selection
- Responsible for quality control of incoming material.
- Vendor development and material inspection.
- Review various metallurgical processes like steel making, forging, casting, weld repair, heat treatment.
- Part of material management team.
~ Done number of projects as a leader as well as member to enhance productivity or to save money for the company.
~Done a course on project management

International Exposure:
Did internship in Germany for 3 month during BTech
Worked with people from diverse nationalities and ethnic backgrounds.

Extra –Curricular activities/Achievements:
Published a research paper in an International journal of high impact factor
Won various awards in paper presentation contest during BTech
Received DAAD scholarship to pursue internship in Germany
Organized various events during college festivals.

Post MBA plans:
Work in management/strategy consulting

Kindly evaluate my profile and let me know which schools Should I target. I have shortlisted some colleges like Emory, Hass, Darden, Anderson, Tuck. Pls tell me what are the chances in these colleges and some practical colleges as well. I will also be applying for indian clgs like ISB and IIMs.

Look forward to hearing back
Thanks
Panbhl

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '19
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2016, 04:24
Hello Kartik -
I gave my GMAT a couple of days ago and got a score of 720(Q50/V38). I need advice on the schools that I can apply to with my score and have a realistic chance of admission being an Indian applicant. Below is a brief on my profile:

Graduation: Mechanical Engineering(Passed out in 2013) - GPA: 3.5(according to WES)
Work Experience: 39 months in sales and marketing at ExxonMobil Corporation and currently working as an operations manager at NEED(Network for Economic and Entrepreneurship Development ; It's a non-profit organization based out of Lucknow, India)
Extra-Curriculars: school and college Football team, Squash and Swimming school teams ; Acted in and directed Choreos during college ; Part of organizing committee of a number of college fests and led the marketing team during a couple of fests.
Volunteer work: Part of a number of volunteer activities during college and work at EM(house building, teaching, roadshows etc).

Interest: Marketing and Strategy

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Krannert '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2016, 02:13
Hi August Academy

Could you please help me in evaluating my profile?

Indian male
GMAT Score 700 Q49V35 IR5, AWA 5

X th : 92.4% out of 100%
XIIth : 94.6% out of 100%
Undergraduated ( NIT Hamirpur) : 8.51 out of 10 on CGPA scale.

Work Experience : 3 years+ in sales & marketing analytics
1. Business Associate in Sales and Marketing firm
2. Leading a team of 4 and in dialogue with clients on a regular basis.

Not impressive extra-curriculars

Target Schools : Kelley, Purdue, Tepper, Kenan-Flagler, Johnson, UCLA Anderson and other 10-20 ranked schools.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have applied to Kelley and Purdue in R1 but I am not sure of if I'll get the interview call. I am now comptemplating of waiting for one more year to improve on my GMAT score and profile in terms of work-experience, and extra-curricular activities.

Is it worth waiting for one more year to try for my target schools or settling for a lower ranked school (if I get selected this time) would be just fine given that my primary focus is job opportunities after MBA??

Best
Naval
Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 12:54
Hi Naval and Rohan,

We seem to have missed out on answering your questions - apologies. Busy with R2 applications.

I am assuming you guys have found answers to your questions - else let me know and we can set up a time to chat.

Regards,
Karthik

Karthik P.
Founder and CEO,
August Academy.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 00:35
Hello Expert,

GMAT - 710( QA 49 VA 36 IR - 7/8 AWA 6/6 )

Ethnicity- Indian
Male , 25 years old
Btech (Mechanical) - 2013 - 69% [ Under grad]
12th - 2009 -87%
10th (ICSE) - 2007 - 75%

Work Experience - 43 months as on Date will reach 48 months by August ( At the time of applying will have around 49-50 months work experience)

I am currently working as a business development executive at a startup and have worked with a government agency to design some training programs for their employees to effectively use social media for better E-Governance and have worked on building an android application along with successful launching of a online platform designed for certain companies. ( working for about 2 years here).Working alongside here , My father owns an advertising agency in which i play a role too because it is a family business and i need to look after when he is away and have helped create logos for the Government of Telangana. I am from Hyderabad , India and Telangana is the State. So i do not know how to leverage this work because in my own personal opinion I think it is great to have worked on a few government projects and design logos for it. The logo is evident on their websites and posters and all over the city . So i think i can give me some edge but any opinion regarding this will be considered. Prior to this i worked with Google for a year via a third party. I worked there as a business analyst.

EC

Sports - Swimming, basket ball , kabbadi , table tennis and badminton , Boxing .
Won the 1st Place in basketball at College (team event) .
Participated in multiple university and state level competitions . (table tennis)
Participated in a national level debate and Adjourned best speaker in a debate at a college level event.
Winner of an Extempore at a national level technical fest
Participated in multiple public speaking events and debates
The president of a Student Body in college for 2 years until the end of graduation undertaking lot of responsibilities and conducting multiple events
Organiser of the Sports Fest for 3 years along with a team under me and successfully organised multiple events. Along with Organizing as a sports player had to participate thus managing both organizing and playing.

I was the anchor for the Annual Day for 2 years and conducted the event in a splendid fashion
Class representative and event organiser for the college Fest for 4 years
Musical instruments learned - Keyboard , Guitar
Performed in the annual day and formed an own band during the college days and participated in college events.
learnt Classical singing for over 11 years and still learning
An active member of NSS during college and couple with the other activities i had , went on to form events to distribute food , books , clothes to the needy and have taught maths and physics to the needy .
Associated with an NGO as well , hope this help in application process

Academic Projects and Achievements

Always in the reckoning of the class - top 5%
95th percentile in CAT ( Management Exam in India) a neccesity to get in the reputed IIM’s ( Indian Institute of Management) and 90th percentile in XAT ( Management Exam for XLRI - Xavier School of Management)
Multiple projects in Robotics and designed various prototypes using basic principles of robotics and have done an internship in a PSU regarding steam engines

Final project in College related to Robotics – 6 degree Stewart Gough Platform
I have been to multiple industries such as steel pant , iron ore plant and a couple of thermodynamic industries to see the functioning of machines and an automobile industry as well to see the understanding of manufacture of components.
Softwares learned - CAD/CAM , Catia , Solid Works , Pro-E , Ansys (taught during academic rigour ) along with the normal C , C++ , Blue Java , MS office etc.

Q) Do you have a specific Company to work for? - I do not have a specific company to work for. My areas of interest are marketing and consulting . Of course every aspirant desires to be in the best of the best companies. Rather than working for a company would love to have company of my own down the line

Q) what do i want from my MBA? - I want my MBA to provide the knowledge n specific skills to run a business. It comes with experience i am sure but an MBA adds value and can make one think better in terms of the business. I would like to start a company of my own. My father has his own business and i want to diversify its services . A marketing related MBA would help me to make my company more reachable to cater to the needs of clients. At this stage my answer isn't clear and might be vague but i still haven't put a thought to it . Mostly like i wish MBA helps me better to run a business

Q) Mba full time/part time - I would want to do an MBA full time (2/1 year is fine) . I turned 25 last week so at the moment thinking i could use 2 years for an MBA unless a one year MBA suits me more. I am willing to relocate and looking for schools in India , US , UK , Singapore

Areas of Interest - Marketing / Consulting
Dream School – Kellog (Marketing)

What schools would you suggest to apply to based on this Profile assuming i still score a 710 in my retake . Targeting R1 this year , want to join a school in 2018

Other schools on my mind - Yale , Oxford , NUS , NTU , ISB . Also do i stand a chance at Harvard/ Stanford / Haas ( the elite ) if not what can i do to solidify my application for applying to these schools. I would like to apply to 6 schools One in India (ISB) , 3 In the United States , 1 in UK , 1 in Singapore , i haven't given much of a thought but any advice here would help

Target Score for Retake - 740 (QA 50 VA 40) , owing to my poor academics , i thought of giving the exam another shot and I represent a demography of very high scores

Regards,
HK

P.S - sorry for keeping it long , i might have missed out anything , feel free to ask something if it is missing
Re: Ask August Academy   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2017, 00:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ]