Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Practice exam: 510 - Need 600 in ideally 1 month [#permalink]
StijnO wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just finished an official practice exam and finished with a score of 510 (Q17, V20). I made a cold official practice exam two months ago and got 490. English is not my first language, nor did I had any math during my bachelors degree the past four years.

In the meantime I prepared by finishing up the official verbal and the quantitative GMAT guide of 2020, which got me the 20 score increase. But I still have a long road to go towards my goals of 600.

What is the best game plan for the upcoming month? I still have the normal official guide to make, but of course additional resources are more than welcome (and needed!). My plan is to take the GMAT at the end of June, but my deadline is at the end of July, so if more time is really needed, I can take it.

How do you guys recommend I spend my time preparing the upcoming weeks? I’ll have plenty of time on my hands. Thanks in advance!

For 600 you should be around Q45, V30 on a safer side. As you can see both sections need improvement, Verbal being more difficult here, you should approach ahead in an structured manner. Well finishing OG's is good but without a good hold on concepts, its not advisable. OR
Better reach prep companies - try their trials.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi StijnO,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 500 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Raising a 500 to the point that you can consistently score 600+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. As such, you will likely need to push back your planned Test Date. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What study materials do you have access to besides the Official Guides?
2) When you say you "need" a 600, what does that mean exactly? Is a 600 the 'minimum Score' that you need to apply? Will that Score guarantee you entry into a particular Program?
3) Which Schools are you planning to apply to and what application deadlines are you facing?
4) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22043 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HI StinjnO,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Regarding how to move forward, as has been said, I think Target Test Prep would be perfect for you. I’m sure you’ve seen on GMAT Club that many students have used us to improve their quant scores, but we recently launched a pre-beta version of our verbal course. As a result, we now have you covered for both sides of the exam, and even in the pre-beta version, the TTP GMAT Verbal Course is a powerful resource. It includes an in-depth examination of CR concepts and strategies and a comprehensive treatment of SC that non-native speakers of English are finding understandable and effective. The bottom line is if you can follow our study plan and complete the course, there is no reason why you can’t hit your GMAT score goal.

We offer a full-access, 5-day trial, so you should give the course a shot. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me directly.
Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Yes official guide 2021 will be the BEST source to improve your score. Btw read all answer explanations of each verbal question (why answers are wrong or right), no matter whether you answer that question correctly or not. Good luck

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
The combination of TTP and OG will get you to a 600 and beyond.
GMAT Club Bot