Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [37]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance and Investments
Schools:LSE,WARWICK,EDINBURG,HEC,EDHEC,RSM
GPA: 6.8 out of 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [26]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618680 [12]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance and Investments
Schools:LSE,WARWICK,EDINBURG,HEC,EDHEC,RSM
GPA: 6.8 out of 10
Send PM
Re: work rate problem [#permalink]
is it so obvious ?
x+40/x+10 = 4/1
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tomchris wrote:
Printer a takes 40 more minutes to print the pages of a book than do the printers a and b together , whereas printer b takes 10 more minutes to print the same pages than do the printers a and b together . What is the ratio of the time taken by printer
a to the time taken by printer b to print these pages ?

A) 1:2
B) 2:1
C) 3:1
d) 4:1
E) 10:1

Bunuel has already given the algebraic approach.
Now let's try to solve it logically.

Lets say they work for x minutes together and complete the work.
a, working alone, takes 40 mins extra - work done by A is 40 mins is the amount of work that was done by b in x minutes when they worked together.
So time taken by a: time taken by b = 40:x .... (I)
Similarly, when b works alone, he takes 10 mins extra - the same work was done by a in x mins when they worked together
time taken by a:time taken by b = x:10 ......(II)
From (I) and (II), 40/x = x/10 or x = 20
So time taken by a: time taken by b = 40:x = 40:20 = 2:1
Answer (B)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Printer a takes 40 more minutes to print the pages of a book [#permalink]
I tried to pick a number but that's wrong, why?

a+b complete the job in 10 minutes
a in 10+40, b in 10 + 10
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618680 [1]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skag55 wrote:

a in 10+40, b in 10 + 10

This is wrong on many levels.

You cannot pick some random numbers and hope that they will give you the required ratio. Do your numbers satisfy the stem saying that "printer a takes 40 more minutes to print the pages of a book than do the printers a and b together, whereas printer b takes 10 more minutes to print the same pages than do the printers a and b together"?

Also, you made the same mistake as you did here: two-water-pumps-working-simultaneously-at-their-respective-155865.html#p1270965

Seems that you need to brush up fundamentals. Check here: machines-x-and-v-produced-identical-bottles-at-different-104208.html#p812628

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
tomchris wrote:
Printer a takes 40 more minutes to print the pages of a book than do the printers a and b together , whereas printer b takes 10 more minutes to print the same pages than do the printers a and b together . What is the ratio of the time taken by printer

a, working alone, takes 40 mins extra - work done by A is 40 mins is the amount of work that was done by b in x minutes when they worked together.
So Speed of a: speed of b = 40:x .... (I)
Similarly, when b works alone, he takes 10 mins extra - the same work was done by a in x mins when they worked together
Speed of a:Speed of b = x:10 ......(II)
So Speed of a: speed of b = 40:x = 40:20 = 2:1
Answer (B)

I didn't understand how we concluded this >>> So Speed of a: speed of b = 40:x .... (I)
Can you please shed some light...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Skag55 wrote:

a in 10+40, b in 10 + 10

This is wrong on many levels.

You cannot pick some random numbers and hope that they will give you the required ratio. Do your numbers satisfy the stem saying that "printer a takes 40 more minutes to print the pages of a book than do the printers a and b together, whereas printer b takes 10 more minutes to print the same pages than do the printers a and b together"?

Also, you made the same mistake as you did here: two-water-pumps-working-simultaneously-at-their-respective-155865.html#p1270965

Seems that you need to brush up fundamentals. Check here: machines-x-and-v-produced-identical-bottles-at-different-104208.html#p812628

Hope it helps.

Yeah, I'm trying to :oops:
Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
b2bt wrote:
tomchris wrote:

So Speed of a: speed of b = 40:x .... (I)
Speed of a:Speed of b = x:10 ......(II)
So Speed of a: speed of b = 40:x = 40:20 = 2:1
Answer (B)

I didn't understand how we concluded this >>> So Speed of a: speed of b = 40:x .... (I)
Can you please shed some light...

This method makes use of ratios. I have discussed the use of ratios in work problems here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/03 ... -problems/

Imagine the case in which both printers are working together and printing, say 100 pages in x mins. Let's say printer a prints 40 pages and printer b prints 60 pages in this time.

Say, you get another 100 pages to print but you notice that printer b is busy. So you use only printer a to print the 100 pages. This time it takes you more time (obviously) - it takes you (x + 40) mins.
What can we conclude? We can say that printer a takes 40 mins to do the work that printer b was doing in x mins. Printer b was printing those 60 pages in x mins but now printer a has to do that work too and it takes an extra 40 mins to print those pages printed by b previously.

Time taken by printer a to do some work : time taken by printer b to do the same work = 40:x (Actually, I am working with time taken all through but writing speed. Will edit it)
Similarly, Time taken by printer a to do some work:time taken by printer b to do the same work = x:10
x = 20
Time taken by printer a to do some work : time taken by printer b to do the same work = 40:20 = 2:1
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [2]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Another approach:

A: t+40
A and B : t
B: t+10

Equation Rate(A and B) = Rate(A) + Rate(B)

1/(t+40) + 1/(t+10) = 1/t

2t^2 +50t = t^2+50t+400

t^2=400
t=20

Ratio is t+40/(t+20) hence (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
tomchris wrote:

So time taken by a: time taken by b = 40:x .... (I)
time taken by a:time taken by b = x:10 ......(II)
So time taken by a: time taken by b = 40:x = 40:20 = 2:1
Answer (B)

can you please explain this part """"Lets say they work for x minutes together and complete the work.
So time taken by a: time taken by b = 40:x .... (I)"""""
once again , i can not come to terms with the solution ( how can a:b equals 40 : x)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
tyagigar wrote:

can you please explain this part """"Lets say they work for x minutes together and complete the work.
So time taken by a: time taken by b = 40:x .... (I)"""""
once again , i can not come to terms with the solution ( how can a:b equals 40 : x)

Take another example:

Say you are your friend work together on a project (say, writing 8 pages) and complete it in 4 hours (both write one page each hour). If you work alone, you take 8 hrs to complete it (one page each hour). Why? Because you need extra 4 hrs to complete the work (4 pages) which was previously done by your friend. Here, the numbers assumed that you and your friend have the same speed of work and hence did equal work when you worked together.

Now imagine this, you are your friend work together on a project (8 pages) and complete it in 4 hours but if you work alone, you take 7 hrs to complete it? Why? Because you need extra 3 hrs to complete the work which was previously done by your friend. Now, we see that you are faster than your friend. In 3 hrs, you complete what he was supposed to do in 4 hrs (while you were also working). So you write more than 1 page an hour while your friend writes less than one page an hour. The work for which he takes 4 hrs, you take only 3 hrs.

Time taken by him:Time taken by you = 4:3

Does this make sense?

If yes, then come back to this question. It is the same concept.

Both take x mins together.
a takes 40 mins extra when working alone. This means that in 40 mins, a does the work b was supposed to complete in x mins.

Time taken by a:Time taken by b = 40:x
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
tomchris wrote:
Printer a takes 40 more minutes to print the pages of a book than do the printers a and b together, whereas printer b takes 10 more minutes to print the same pages than do the printers a and b together. What is the ratio of the time taken by printer a to the time taken by printer b to print these pages ?

A. 1:2
B. 2:1
C. 3:1
D. 4:1
E. 10:1

Let the time for both printers working together to print the pages be x. We see that printer a needs x + 40 minutes and printer b needs x + 10 minutes to print these pages.

Since rate = work/time, printer a completes 1/(x + 40) of the job per minute and printer b completes 1/(x + 10) of the job per minute. Together, they complete:

1/(x + 40) + 1/(x + 10) = (2x + 50)/[(x + 40)(x + 10)] of the job per minute

Since we know that they need x minutes to complete the job, the fraction of the job they can complete per minute (when they work together) is also equal to 1/x. We can equate the two expressions and solve for x:

(2x + 50)/[(x + 40)(x + 10)] = 1/x

2x^2 + 50x = (x + 40)(x + 10)

2x^2 + 50x = x^2 + 50x + 400

x^2 = 400

x = 20

So, it takes 20 minutes to get the job done when both printers work together. From the given information, printer a needs 20 + 40 = 60 minutes and printer b needs 20 + 10 = 30 minutes. The ratio of the time of printer a to that of printer b is 60:30 which is equivalent to 2:1.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Printer a takes 40 more minutes to print the pages of a book [#permalink]