GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher for not completing the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher for not completing the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 11:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (00:48) correct 59% (00:46) wrong based on 285 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher for not completing the assignment on time.

(A) Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher
(B) Priscilla as well as me were punished by the teacher
(C) Priscilla and me were punished by the teacher
(D) Priscilla as well as I was punished by the teacher
(E) The teacher punished Priscilla and I
Director
Director
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher for not completing the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2014, 22:02
AmoyV wrote:
Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher for not completing the assignment on time.

Option A : and makes the subject plural so cannot go with singular verb..incorrect
B : Singular subject plural verb.. incorrect
C: we should not use me here it has to be I...Also it has passive construction
D...Singular subject singular verb is good
E: Here me is required as (Priscilla and me) are reciever of the action or Object...

D is good..

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
Retired Moderator
GMAT ToolKit User
Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher for not completing the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2014, 02:09
D seems good: Priscilla as well as I was punished by the teacher

faults in bold:

(A) Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher------->"was" is singular when subject is plural
(B) Priscilla as well as me were punished by the teacher----->"me" is wrong
(C) Priscilla and me were punished by the teacher----->"me" is "object" pronoun
(D) Priscilla as well as I was punished by the teacher---->correct
(E) The teacher punished Priscilla and I ----->when "I" is present in object place then we should be using "object" pronoun and NOT subject pronoun "I"
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher for not completing the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2015, 09:29
We have created a plural noun (P and I), should go with were.

me should be I, as in the subject form.
were should be was as with "as well as" a plural noun has not been created, it should go with the singular form: was.

Again, me should be I.

This time it's correct. I is in the subject form, was is in the singular form and no plural noun has been created.

Tricky once in a hurry: The teacher is now the subject and Priscilla and "I"(should be me) are the objects.
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 23:31

(A) Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher -->Plural subject used with singular verb --> SV Agreement Error -->Eliminate
(B) Priscilla as well as me were punished by the teacher -->Additive phrase rule: when additive phrases are used, the subject always comes before the additive phrase (as well as). Therefore, the subject is "Priscilla" In English, only the word "and" can make a subject plural. Therefore we have "Priscilla....were" -->SV Agreement Error --> Eliminate
(C) Priscilla and me were punished by the teacher -->Object case pronoun "me" is used when it should be the subject case pronoun "I" as "Priscilla and X" are doing the action and are the subject---> Eliminate
(D) Priscilla as well as I was punished by the teacher -->Correct pronoun case + SV Agreement -->Correct

(E) The teacher punished Priscilla and I --> This was tough for me as I was brought up by my parents saying this phrase colloquially, so I initially selected this. Here's why this is wrong: a subject noun "I" is used when instead an object noun, such as "me", should be used. Here, "priscilla and I" is a compound pronoun structure, which is when a Noun and Pronoun are used together, so to test whether the correct pronoun is used we replace the Noun (Priscilla) with the Pronoun and see if it makes sense: "The teacher punished I" - this doesn't make sense at all. ---> Eliminate.

+1 Kudos if I have helped you
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher for not completing the   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2019, 23:31

Priscilla and I was punished by the teacher for not completing the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics