Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [14]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [6]
Given Kudos: 469
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 597
Send PM
Re: Production of the Ford Model T, which was colloquially known as the [#permalink]
pulkitaggi wrote:
I have a doubt between option B and C. Because their is a reference of another verb ( "discontinued"), which happened after the commencement of production, and because commencing of production is a discrete time frame- we should use had commenced.

And that is why I preferred option B over C. But OA mentioned is C . Why?

We should use parallel structures with "and".

As far as I know, past perfect is not used with "in + year". It is used in the simple past.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Production of the Ford Model T, which was colloquially known as the [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja
Need help in eliminating A .I thought "commenced" here is used as participle ..so marked A as answer ... if all fluffs are removed the sentence with option A will look like this

Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908 was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge, who stimulated competition in the automobile industry by lowering corporate taxes and encouraging consumer spending.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
Send PM
unsure between b and c
although I haven't started with my sc prep yet...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
pulkitaggi wrote:
Production of the Ford Model T, which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge, who stimulated competition in the automobile industry by lowering corporate taxes and encouraging consumer spending.

A) which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt,
The sentence is like: Production of the Ford Model T ... commenced in 1908 ... was not discontinued until...
This structure is awkward

B) colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, had commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, and
"had commenced" is incorrect since we dont't need past participate tense here.

C) which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, and
CORRECT. "which" refers to "the Ford Model T". "commenced" is parallel to "was not".

D) colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie and commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt it
This choice is wordy and awkward. "it" is ambiguous

E) colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, which had commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, and
This sentence is like: Production of the Ford Model T ... and was not discontinued until ...
This choice lacks main verb.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Imo C
which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, and
we need and to make it a proper sentence other wise the phrase was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, modifies the presidency of
Theodore Roosevelt.
and connects two sentences together .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi experts i have question regarding B colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, had commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, and
I know had is wrong in B but what does colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie modifies is it production or Ford Model T.
Please explain .
Thanks in advance .
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Production of the Ford Model T, which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge, who stimulated competition in the automobile industry by lowering corporate taxes and encouraging consumer spending.

A) which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt,
(connector error)

B) colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, had commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, and
(modifier and past perfect tense errors)

C) which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, and
(Correct)

D) colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie and commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt it
(modifier error)

E) colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, which had commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, and
(modifier and past perfect tense errors)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sobby wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
Need help in eliminating A .I thought "commenced" here is used as participle ..so marked A as answer ... if all fluffs are removed the sentence with option A will look like this

Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908 was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge, who stimulated competition in the automobile industry by lowering corporate taxes and encouraging consumer spending.

Hi sobby ,

A has double verb mistake for a single subject. It says Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908, was not discontinued until ....

Whenever you join two verbs referring to a single subject you must use a conjunction(such as and. but, yet, etc. ) to connect them. But the same is not the case in the above sentence. Hence, A is out.

arvind910619 wrote:
Hi experts i have question regarding B colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, had commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, and
I know had is wrong in B but what does colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie modifies is it production or Ford Model T.
Please explain .
Thanks in advance .

Hi arvind910619 ,

Colloquially here is referring to the Ford Model A. There is no problem with this. The main problem is with the usage of 'had'.

I hope that makes sense. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE:Programming (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Production of the Ford Model T, which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie,
commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt,
was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge, who stimulated competition in the automobile industry by lowering corporate taxes and encouraging consumer spending.

First Clause : Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908
Second clause: was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge, who stimulated competition in the automobile industry by lowering corporate taxes and encouraging consumer spending.

We must have conjunction to join two clauses, and this is the main flaw of choice A: Choice C fixes this issue

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Kudos
pulkitaggi wrote:
I have a doubt between option B and C. Because their is a reference of another verb ( "discontinued"), which happened after the commencement of production, and because commencing of production is a discrete time frame- we should use had commenced.

In my understanting, "had" + (past participle) is used to describe an event in the past which occurred "before" another event "in the same clause". Here there are two clauses connnected using "and".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
sobby wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

Hi sobby ,

A has double verb mistake for a single subject. It says Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908, was not discontinued until ....

Whenever you join two verbs referring to a single subject you must use a conjunction(such as and. but, yet, etc. ) to connect them. But the same is not the case in the above sentence. Hence, A is out.

hi abhimahna

Thanks , I understand that point ...but my doubt is how to know whether "commenced" is verb or participle ..i marked A just because i thought it as participle...
i thought ..Production of the Ford Model "was commenced "....as production can't commence by itself...

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sobby wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
sobby wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

Hi sobby ,

hi abhimahna

Thanks , I understand that point ...but my doubt is how to know whether "commenced" is verb or participle ..i marked A just because i thought it as participle...
i thought ..Production of the Ford Model "was commenced "....as production can't commence by itself...

Thanks in advance

Hi sobby,

I also used have the same issue, while understanding whether the Verb ed is the Past tense verb or participle. Though I have figured out way to solve this, it may not be very full proof. But this method has now trained my ears in such a way that I am making much less mistake in these types of question. So what I do now is that whenever I see a Verb+ed word I first consider it a verb and try to see is this sentence making sense without the use of rest of the sentence, If yes then it should be a verb. Other wise its a modifier.

Eg. In this question - Production of the Ford Model T , which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt. This sentence makes complete sense in itself.

Secondly- The fluff "which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie" modifies [b]ford model
, so if "commenced" was a modifier it should modify ford model only - this does not make sense. ( A noun modifier separates from its noun, only when another vital modifier separates same noun. Otherwise, what we are doing is that the first modifier is modifying Model T, and second modifier is modifying production)

In case we need to modify the Production, the sentence should have been- "Commenced in 1908, production of ford model T, which was colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie
, was not discontinued ........"[/b]

Some of the Question which helped me were- ( You can find these question on Gmatclub- try solving them- You will understand what I am trying to say, check these question out. )

- The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.
- The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

If you like this Post please give kudos!! :-D :-D :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
sobby wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

Hi sobby ,

arvind910619 wrote:
Please explain .
Thanks in advance .

Hi arvind910619 ,

Colloquially here is referring to the production. Hence, making an illogical meaning. The use of which clearly tells us that it is referring back to Mr Tin.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Hi abhimahna,

Please let me know if I am wrong-

In my understanding- Which can also modify Production, as " of the ford model" is a prepositional phrase ( and a vital modifier) separating "which..." from its actual noun. But what I learned was that in cases like these instead blindly following the rule, understand the meaning.

- If the "WHICH...." does not make sense with the noun in "OF PHRASE..." but makes clear sense with the noun before "of phrase"- Then the touch rules can be violated. And the sentence is grammatically correct.

- If the "WHICH...." makes sense with both the noun in "OF PHRASE..." and the noun before of phrase- Then the which phrase can modify any noun depending on the context of the rest of the sentence. ( But preference will be given to Noun before of phrase)

- If the " WHICH..." makes sense with only the noun in " of phrase..." and fails to make any sense with the noun before of phrase- Then Touch rule is used.. And the third case is used in this case.

And for option B similar issue - Colloquially, can refer to production or Model T. But it does not make any sense to modify production. Hence It clearly modify Model T. I believe the Option B is wrong because of the use HAD only. the AND separates two clauses completely and hence I cannot consider the verb in first phrase as pre-requite Verb for using Past perfect.

Lets discuss over this topic more- It will really help me. My paper is already scheduled. And in case you liked this post please give KUDOS.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sevenplusplus wrote:
pulkitaggi wrote:

In my understanting, "had" + (past participle) is used to describe an event in the past which occurred "before" another event "in the same clause". Here there are two clauses connnected using "and".

Hi sevenplusplus,

That was right ON target answer. It really makes sense. Thank you.
Because I can write 2 sentences completely separately-
- Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt.
- Production of the Ford Model T was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge.

The 2 verbs has no relation with each other.

mikemcgarry Sir, Can you confirm this? I hope you see this post before 11th july :wink: ( I dont want top make mistake in my actual paper) :-D :-D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sobby wrote:
hi abhimahna

Thanks in advance

Hi sobby ,

The double comma rule says when we remove the stuff between two commas, the sentence should make sense.

Look at the sentence below:

Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt, was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge, who stimulated competition in the automobile industry by lowering corporate taxes and encouraging consumer spending.

Now, what do you think? Is commenced still a verb-ed modifier? No, right? This is the main problem with option A.

Key rule to remember is : Before coming to a conclusion whether the such words are verbs or modifiers, make sure you remove the unnecessary stuffs.

pulkitaggi wrote:
Hi abhimahna,

Please let me know if I am wrong-

In my understanding- Which can also modify Production, as " of the ford model" is a prepositional phrase ( and a vital modifier) separating "which..." from its actual noun. But what I learned was that in cases like these instead blindly following the rule, understand the meaning.

----

And for option B similar issue - Colloquially, can refer to production or Model T. But it does not make any sense to modify production. Hence It clearly modify Model T. I believe the Option B is wrong because of the use HAD only. the AND separates two clauses completely and hence I cannot consider the verb in first phrase as pre-requite Verb for using Past perfect.

Lets discuss over this topic more- It will really help me. My paper is already scheduled. And in case you liked this post please give KUDOS.

Hi pulkitaggi ,

Whatever you said is 100% true. Since 'which' cannot refer to production here, it must refer to the noun of 'of phrase'. Same goes for coloquiclly. I have corrected my post above. It must refer to the ford model.

pulkitaggi wrote:
Hi sevenplusplus,

- Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908, during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt.
- Production of the Ford Model T was not discontinued until nearly two decades later, during the presidency of Calvin Coolidge.

mikemcgarry Sir, Can you confirm this? I hope you see this post before 11th july :wink: ( I dont want top make mistake in my actual paper) :-D :-D

There is an exception to the use of past perfect. Whenever the sequancing of two past events is clear, we should always avoid using past perfect form.

In this sentence, we are clear that Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908 and it was not discontinued until nearly two decades later. Notice the underlined words. It is clear that discontinue is happening after the commencement. Hence, using past perfect in such cases is not preferable.

Does that make sense?

Feel free to ask 'n' number of questions. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
There is an exception to the use of past perfect. Whenever the sequancing of two past events is clear, we should always avoid using past perfect form.

In this sentence, we are clear that Production of the Ford Model T commenced in 1908 and it was not discontinued until nearly two decades later. Notice the underlined words. It is clear that discontinue is happening after the commencement. Hence, using past perfect in such cases is not preferable.

Does that make sense?

Feel free to ask 'n' number of questions. :)

Hi abhimahna,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
if the " it was not discontinued.... " phrase was not followed by that underline words, I should have used " Had commence..". ( Just clarifying)

And

Quote:

Is generally wrong? even if we separate two clauses with AND we should take inconsideration the time frame?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
pulkitaggi wrote:

Hi abhimahna,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
if the " it was not discontinued.... " phrase was not followed by that underline words, I should have used " Had commence..". ( Just clarifying)

And

Again, I would say no. discontinued tells that that something has already started. Obviously, we cannot discontinue anything unless we start it. Did you get what I am trying to convey? So, again the usage is properly telling us the sequencing.

pulkitaggi wrote:

Is generally wrong? even if we separate two clauses with AND we should take inconsideration the time frame?

I think I have seen such question where we were separating two clauses using and but the sequencing was shown using past perfect.

Dude, honestly speaking don't learn any such rules. It will harm you. You should always go for the meaning of the sentence and POE for such sentences.

All the best. :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts