Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '17
GMAT 1: 700 Q40 V47
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '17
GMAT 1: 700 Q40 V47
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval- 4.5 yrs work, 3.2 gpa, caucasian m, 700 gmat, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
helpmeobiwan wrote:
Jon,
Thanks so much for the reply.
For the last few years, I've worked in startup business development (sales and client facing roles) for several software and energy companies. I've also worked at some well-known NGO's and led sustainability projects abroad. My sales track record is very good any I've managed 'cutting-edge' renewable energy projects, but I worry that my grades and low quant GMAT score may hold me back. I have just completed a summer finance math course through NYU.

What do you think?

Hey there,
Does that mean you have been freelancing as an independent? Or have you been moving from job to job? And what achievements? What initiatives? What leadership? Now it's clear to me what you did, but not yet how WELL you have done. And this is gonna be a MAJOR thing when you apply. The schools have a good nose for who is doing great and who is doing less, although a lot of course depends on how you present your narrative in the essays. I think that at least for NYU both your grades and GMAT are fine (for Columbia you are a bit of a long shot), and I think you have reasonable chances there. Although I have to say that applying to two schools only with a GMAT a bit under the average, is a bit of a risky business. So you might want to think about your alternatives (is it NYC or bust? Is it only these two schools? Are there other options? etc.)

Hope this helps,
JF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Profile Eval- 4.5 yrs work, 3.2 gpa, caucasian m, 700 gmat, [#permalink]
helpmeobiwan wrote:
Hi all,

I'm applying to elite NYC schools (Columbia + NYU) that may be a stretch for my quantitative/educational background and being a caucasian male in his late 20's. However, I also think that I have a very unique story to tell based on my work and extracurricular experiences.

Stats:
3.2 UnderGraduate GPA, Major in Policy, International Relations and Economics
700 GMAT, high verbal (99th) lowish quant (60th)
Not a lot of quant/business course background but I have completed a summer class in Finance Mathematics
4.5+ years of experience in technology, energy and NGOs. Have led business development roles, exceeded sales targets, launched initiatives, managed projects around the world, led cutting edge renewable energy projects in multiple countries. Currently hold multiple jobs (+ full-time role in internet tech) and extracurricular work with accelerator/incubator programs.

My grades aren't great. I think my GMAT quant should be higher but I'm not sure if I can improve my score past 700. I haven't worked for Fortune 500 or big banks.

What do you think? I know its ambitious to shoot for NY's top schools, but I know I have a great story to tell. I also have clear goals for post graduation and have already established myself as a great networker.

You're in the 700 club, which gets you in the running, but I think you are well below the means for each school. In addition, your GMAT is skewed away from quant. However, your performance in the summer class coupled with your business experience (business development, energy, management, etc.) might help you out. GPA and ethnicity make you a "dime a dozen" candidate. I think your narrative would truly have to be exceptional for either of these schools to consider you especially because the schools have a reputation for leaning on the quant side. Would definitely recommend you consider other schools as well. Duke might be a better fit. Don't be discouraged though; if you feel like you have an awesome background, go for it. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket and not prepare for any other options.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts