GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 09:07
Hi all,

Below is my profile; I would very much appreciate if the admission gurus on this forum could chime in and give their feedback.

Ethnicity: South Asian
Citizenship Status: Permanent Resident in the US

Undergraduate:
I went to a small, private university in St. Louis, MO. I graduated with a 3.95 CGPA with a degree in Business Administration (General) in December 2015.

GMAT:
I scored a 700 (Q44 52%/V41 94%). Although I had been consistently scoring well above that on all my diagnostics, I do not plan to retake it. I would like to proceed with this score.

Post UG:
I worked as an auditor for a year and then transitioned to an accounting and financial services role within the same firm. Currently, I am working as a consultant and manage the financial operations of three non-profits in Washington, DC.
Along with working, I also started my own company with a colleague of mine. We essentially supplied athletic apparel and other articles of clothing to various brands. Unfortunately, due to some other commitments and the kind of arrangement I had with my partner, I could not continue working on the company. As a result, we parted ways professionally.
However, related to that, I am currently in the process of launching another business that revolves around clothing. Unlike my first venture that targeted distributors, this time I am directly targeting the end consumer.

Post-MBA:
My plan is to develop a critical understanding of businesses. I would like to establish a career in consulting and focus particularly on developing markets.

The schools I’d like to attend are as follows:
Darden (UVA)
Kellogg (Northwestern)
Fuqua (Duke)
McDonough (Georgetown)
Kenan Flager (UNC)

I would really appreciate any feedback, along with further recommendations on schools I should consider in addition to the ones mentioned above.

Thanks!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 10:19
Hi nmahmood1214!

Thanks for reaching out. See below for my comments on your profile.

Your "guru",
Kate

nmahmood1214 wrote:
Hi all,

Below is my profile; I would very much appreciate if the admission gurus on this forum could chime in and give their feedback.

Ethnicity: South Asian
Citizenship Status: Permanent Resident in the US Thanks for mentioning, as this will help your chances because it opens up more employment prospects post-MBA.

Undergraduate:
I went to a small, private university in St. Louis, MO. I graduated with a 3.95 CGPA with a degree in Business Administration (General) in December 2015. Excellent GPA! So you will have a little less than 3 years experience when you apply? Although that is on the early side, it should still be enough experience, especially since you have the startup work too.

GMAT:
I scored a 700 (Q44 52%/V41 94%). Although I had been consistently scoring well above that on all my diagnostics, I do not plan to retake it. I would like to proceed with this score. I'm going to push back here. If you were scoring well above that, why not retake?? Schools do not look down on retakes, they always take your highest score, and a 700 is a borderline score for many top programs. I think in particular schools will have concerns about your quant score. Yes, your GPA is great, but you still have time to retake. I suggest you reconsider!

Post UG:
I worked as an auditor for a year and then transitioned to an accounting and financial services role within the same firm. Currently, I am working as a consultant and manage the financial operations of three non-profits in Washington, DC. This sounds like good progression in your career to have moved from audit to a consulting role. And the non-profit exposure should be a good differentiation point compared to other applicants (even if it's not where you see yourself long term). Any promotions in this time? Exposure to other countries/developing markets? If so, those would be things to highlight given your goals.
Along with working, I also started my own company with a colleague of mine. We essentially supplied athletic apparel and other articles of clothing to various brands. Unfortunately, due to some other commitments and the kind of arrangement I had with my partner, I could not continue working on the company. As a result, we parted ways professionally.
However, related to that, I am currently in the process of launching another business that revolves around clothing. Unlike my first venture that targeted distributors, this time I am directly targeting the end consumer.

That's too bad that the first venture did not work out but schools will value these entrepreneurial qualities. Good luck with the new business!

Post-MBA:
My plan is to develop a critical understanding of businesses. I would like to establish a career in consulting and focus particularly on developing markets.

The schools I’d like to attend are as follows:
Darden (UVA)
Kellogg (Northwestern)
Fuqua (Duke)
McDonough (Georgetown)
Kenan Flager (UNC)

I think these are great schools for your goals. Kellogg will be tough with your 700 GMAT. Possibly Darden and Duke too. All schools are under pressure to keep their average GMAT high.

I would really appreciate any feedback, along with further recommendations on schools I should consider in addition to the ones mentioned above.

Thanks!

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 15:47
Hi 'Guru' Kate,

First off, thanks so much for the taking the time out to provide me with all the valuable feedback.

I'm going to push back here. If you were scoring well above that, why not retake?? Schools do not look down on retakes, they always take your highest score, and a 700 is a borderline score for many top programs. I think in particular schools will have concerns about your quant score. Yes, your GPA is great, but you still have time to retake. I suggest you reconsider!

Great point. However, I should have mentioned that I got a 700 on my second attempt. I ended up cancelling my score right after my first attempt at the exam as it was not nearly what I considered myself capable of. Since I cancelled it, it won’t show up on the report received by schools. I must point out that in both the exam, my quant raw score did not change. On the diagnostics, I had been scoring 46 to 48 consistently, and this was true for both the diagnostic exams taken before the first attempt as well as after the first attempt. By the time I took the GMAT again, I had cumulatively spent north of 6 months studying for the exam. So, with a 700 with a 44 on quant, I, in a way, sucked it up and determined to focus on other aspects of the process. I don’t know how much value schools would put on my undergraduate quantitative coursework, but I did take Calculus and passed that with flying colors. If memory serves me well, I had a final grade (although this won’t show up on the transcript) of over a 100% due to all the bonus assignments and questions on the exams. My professional experience also revolves around numbers, so I, in my head, am reasonably confident that I can handle the quantitative aspect of an MBA. Also, in doing some research, I realized that even a 47 would be in the high 60th percentile, and a 48 in the 70’s. Essentially, I just don’t have the drive in me anymore to butt heads with the GMAT again.

This sounds like good progression in your career to have moved from audit to a consulting role. And the non-profit exposure should be a good differentiation point compared to other applicants (even if it's not where you see yourself long term). Any promotions in this time? Exposure to other countries/developing markets? If so, those would be things to highlight given your goals.

Yes, I did get promoted to a senior auditor within the firm before I became a consultant. By the time I turn in my applications, I am confident I would be promoted to a senior consultant. Unfortunately, not much international exposure. But, through my entrepreneurial activities, I have closely dealt with manufacturers in China and countries like India & Pakistan, and continue to do so.

I think these are great schools for your goals. Kellogg will be tough with your 700 GMAT. Possibly Darden and Duke too. All schools are under pressure to keep their average GMAT high.

Noted. My goal is to be an early applicant for the programs you mentioned above. What other schools would you recommend where, in your opinion, I’d be a competitive applicant?

Thank you, again, for all the feedback!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 17:02
Thanks for the additional info and context on your GMAT. I agree based on what you shared that schools won't have a major concern about your ability to manage quant coursework. Only you can know and decide whether you have it in you to give the GMAT another go, and whether doing so will increase your score. I just wanted you to know that from the school's perspective, they look positively on retakes, in fact, it's a way to show them you're really committed to the process.

That is great to hear about the promotions, and some international exposure too. Yes, definitely apply in Round 1, and take advantage of schools that have early deadlines and open interviews like Fuqua. And if you're in the DC area, then you're close to both Georgetown and Darden so definitely visit and engage as much as possible, those are both schools that are really open to getting to know applicants through the process.

As for other schools -- if you're looking at other schools in the south or southeast, maybe add Emory, Vanderbilt, or Texas to your list?

-Kate

nmahmood1214 wrote:
Hi 'Guru' Kate,

First off, thanks so much for the taking the time out to provide me with all the valuable feedback.

I'm going to push back here. If you were scoring well above that, why not retake?? Schools do not look down on retakes, they always take your highest score, and a 700 is a borderline score for many top programs. I think in particular schools will have concerns about your quant score. Yes, your GPA is great, but you still have time to retake. I suggest you reconsider!

Great point. However, I should have mentioned that I got a 700 on my second attempt. I ended up cancelling my score right after my first attempt at the exam as it was not nearly what I considered myself capable of. Since I cancelled it, it won’t show up on the report received by schools. I must point out that in both the exam, my quant raw score did not change. On the diagnostics, I had been scoring 46 to 48 consistently, and this was true for both the diagnostic exams taken before the first attempt as well as after the first attempt. By the time I took the GMAT again, I had cumulatively spent north of 6 months studying for the exam. So, with a 700 with a 44 on quant, I, in a way, sucked it up and determined to focus on other aspects of the process. I don’t know how much value schools would put on my undergraduate quantitative coursework, but I did take Calculus and passed that with flying colors. If memory serves me well, I had a final grade (although this won’t show up on the transcript) of over a 100% due to all the bonus assignments and questions on the exams. My professional experience also revolves around numbers, so I, in my head, am reasonably confident that I can handle the quantitative aspect of an MBA. Also, in doing some research, I realized that even a 47 would be in the high 60th percentile, and a 48 in the 70’s. Essentially, I just don’t have the drive in me anymore to butt heads with the GMAT again.

This sounds like good progression in your career to have moved from audit to a consulting role. And the non-profit exposure should be a good differentiation point compared to other applicants (even if it's not where you see yourself long term). Any promotions in this time? Exposure to other countries/developing markets? If so, those would be things to highlight given your goals.

Yes, I did get promoted to a senior auditor within the firm before I became a consultant. By the time I turn in my applications, I am confident I would be promoted to a senior consultant. Unfortunately, not much international exposure. But, through my entrepreneurial activities, I have closely dealt with manufacturers in China and countries like India & Pakistan, and continue to do so.

Noted. My goal is to be an early applicant for the programs you mentioned above. What other schools would you recommend where, in your opinion, I’d be a competitive applicant?

Thank you, again, for all the feedback!

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap