GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 06:00
Hi
I'm looking to pursue a Masters in Management(MIM) degree with the following profile:
GRE: 328( Verbal: 160, Quant: 168, AWA:4.5)
CGPA: 6.1( 8 backlogs in 1st year) from Manipal Institute of Technology in Industrial & Production.
1 International Research Paper at IJMPE
Good voluntary social work at Rotary Club
2 Internships at Larsen & Toubro and SKF with good impact and recommendation.
Played for State cricket Team U18 (CAB)
Reached the final 32 round of FIFA 17 ( Asia & Oceania )
Colleges preferred: ESCP, RSM, Duke, Northeastern, UCD
Do I stand a chance at these places?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 12:45
Hi there,

We specialize mostly in MBA programs so my knowledge of how you stack up compared to other MIM applicants is not as strong. But you do seem to have a pretty well-rounded profile, with strong internships, and extracurricular activities. Your GRE is strong too, and converts to about a 730 GMAT which is competitive for the schools on your list. Your GPA is the area of most concern though, so that could be too much of a challenge at the most competitive schools on your list like Duke. To further boost the academic side of your profile, you could retake GRE, or retake some of the courses you did not do well in.

Best of luck!
Kate

RajBafna wrote:
Hi
I'm looking to pursue a Masters in Management(MIM) degree with the following profile:
GRE: 328( Verbal: 160, Quant: 168, AWA:4.5)
CGPA: 6.1( 8 backlogs in 1st year) from Manipal Institute of Technology in Industrial & Production.
1 International Research Paper at IJMPE
Good voluntary social work at Rotary Club
2 Internships at Larsen & Toubro and SKF with good impact and recommendation.
Played for State cricket Team U18 (CAB)
Reached the final 32 round of FIFA 17 ( Asia & Oceania )
Colleges preferred: ESCP, RSM, Duke, Northeastern, UCD
Do I stand a chance at these places?

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.25
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 02:07
Hi mbaMissionKate,

I am a Chartered Accountant from India. Prior to that I completed my Undergrad from Leeds, UK in BA (Hons) Business and Management (Lower second class = ~3.15 GPA). I have also completed by ACMA , CGMA professional qualification (obtained all india 2nd rank in the final exams)

I have six years work experience as on date. Below is my work exp breakup (with most recent first)
1. Senior consultant at Ernst and Young (Oct 17 to Jul 18) = 10 months
2. Consultant at Ernst and Young (Aug 15 to Sept 17) = 2yrs 2 months
3. Associate consultant at a small management consultant company (Dec 13 to Apr 15) = 1 yr and 5 months
4. Audit assistant at a small auditing firm (Apr 12 to Nov 13) = 1 year 8 months

I also have some volunteering exp as a teaching assistant at a primary school...

Apart from this, I have good exposure in terms of handling the top management of huge multinational clients during my stint at EY. I can demonstrate good communication, interpersonal and leadership skills. I should be able to get a strong recommendation letters from my Partner and Senior manager at EY.

Last but not the least, I am yet to take my GMAT but preparing with a target score of 750 (for the purposes of this evaluation lets assume i score 720+)

Career goals: In the short run I want to break into a strategy formulation role and few years down the line head a business unit/ vertical

And not to forget, I am 28yrs of age and a woman.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

I am looking to target mainly Wharton, Kellogg and Columbia (with few other schools as safe options). Also, would you suggest any other schools?
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 19:01
Hi Kalaivani1,

Thanks for reaching out. The main strengths I see in your profile are that you have had good progression in your roles (especially making a switch from audit to consulting), plus the EY brand is strong. The exposure to multinational clients is great, as is the experience studying in the UK. The professional qualifications are a nice plus (though not hugely relevant if you don't intend to stay in the field), and the volunteer experience is good to show you giving back to others. The only challenge I see is a slightly less than average GPA, which means that GMAT is super important for you. There will be a big difference between a 720 and a 740/750 for you so I hope you can pull that off! Even with a 740, a top school like Wharton could still be too competitive, so make sure you have a range of schools. In addition to those you mentioned, I would check out NYU and LBS.

Also, are you no longer with EY? I wasn't sure if "to Jul 18" meant you left or if you are saying you're currently there. If you left, that could be another small concern as you'll need to address the employment gap and reasons for leaving just before applying in the application.

Hope this helps!
Kate

Kalaivani1 wrote:
Hi mbaMissionKate,

I am a Chartered Accountant from India. Prior to that I completed my Undergrad from Leeds, UK in BA (Hons) Business and Management (Lower second class = ~3.15 GPA). I have also completed by ACMA , CGMA professional qualification (obtained all india 2nd rank in the final exams)

I have six years work experience as on date. Below is my work exp breakup (with most recent first)
3. Associate consultant at a small management consultant company (Dec 13 to Apr 15) = 1 yr and 5 months
4. Audit assistant at a small auditing firm (Apr 12 to Nov 13) = 1 year 8 months

I also have some volunteering exp as a teaching assistant at a primary school...

Apart from this, I have good exposure in terms of handling the top management of huge multinational clients during my stint at EY. I can demonstrate good communication, interpersonal and leadership skills. I should be able to get a strong recommendation letters from my Partner and Senior manager at EY.

Last but not the least, I am yet to take my GMAT but preparing with a target score of 750 (for the purposes of this evaluation lets assume i score 720+)

Career goals: In the short run I want to break into a strategy formulation role and few years down the line head a business unit/ vertical

I am looking to target mainly Wharton, Kellogg and Columbia (with few other schools as safe options). Also, would you suggest any other schools?

Kate Richardson
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.25
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 22:12
Dear Kate,

Thanks a lot for your appraisal of my profile. I am currently not with EY. It's been a week since I left. I do have my reasons, just have to put it across in a way that makes sense to the adcom as well.

Anyway, thanks again for your time.

Best Regards,
Kalaivani

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi Kalaivani1,

Thanks for reaching out. The main strengths I see in your profile are that you have had good progression in your roles (especially making a switch from audit to consulting), plus the EY brand is strong. The exposure to multinational clients is great, as is the experience studying in the UK. The professional qualifications are a nice plus (though not hugely relevant if you don't intend to stay in the field), and the volunteer experience is good to show you giving back to others. The only challenge I see is a slightly less than average GPA, which means that GMAT is super important for you. There will be a big difference between a 720 and a 740/750 for you so I hope you can pull that off! Even with a 740, a top school like Wharton could still be too competitive, so make sure you have a range of schools. In addition to those you mentioned, I would check out NYU and LBS.

Also, are you no longer with EY? I wasn't sure if "to Jul 18" meant you left or if you are saying you're currently there. If you left, that could be another small concern as you'll need to address the employment gap and reasons for leaving just before applying in the application.

Hope this helps!
Kate

Kalaivani1 wrote:
Hi mbaMissionKate,

G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2018, 08:10
Got it. Yes, use the Optional Essay to explain your reasons. Also important that you explain how you're keeping busy (which needs to be more than just GMAT + applications).

Thanks!
Kate

Kalaivani1 wrote:
Dear Kate,

Thanks a lot for your appraisal of my profile. I am currently not with EY. It's been a week since I left. I do have my reasons, just have to put it across in a way that makes sense to the adcom as well.

Anyway, thanks again for your time.

Best Regards,
Kalaivani

Kate Richardson

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap