GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V32
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 07:23
Hi

I re-took my GMAT today and scored 650 (Q48,V33), IR-5. My first attempt score was 620 (Q47,V29).

I am male, 35, India, with work experience of 13+ years predominantly in PSUs. 11 months in HAL, Sukohi-30MKI assembly, 6-months in NMDC, Iron-ore mines and since 2007 in a steel PSU.

Academics:

Xth - 73.5% Army School
XIIth - 80% Army School
B Tech (Electrical & Electronics Engineering) from MAHATMA GANDHI INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, HYDERABAD - 63.5%

Extra-Ciricular activities

Won many elocution and debate competitions at the school level and even at my workplace.
Have participated twice in National Competition for Young Managers, NCYM held by AIMA. Secured regional 3rd once in Kolkata.
Work as a faculty at the workplace (apart from my regular work) as a part of the Skill Development initiative by National Skill Development Corporation, Govt. Of India.
Passion for biking. I have been a part of a few biking expeditions (self-organized).
I am a life member of the Youth Hostels Association of India, YHAI and participated in National Himalayan Trekking Expedition-SARPASS.
Later, a knee injury in an accident led me to quit my adventurous side.
After recuperating from my injury, started a software, data entry startup (20 seaters) along with my wife. (As I work for a PSU, I cannot hold any office of profit)
But, being in a tier-2 city made it difficult for the start-up to sustain as getting projects was extremely difficult and the market was full of fraudsters. After running the start-up for a year and a half, handed over to one of our influential partners.

Why MBA?

I feel after so many years in PSUs, my career has hit a plateau and further, I see little scope of growth. It is difficult to rise in a PSU, even when equipped with a suitable skill set.
I feel a 1 year MBA would equip me with a definite skill set, apart from honing my existing ones, that would allow for a career shift within the domain of operations and strategy. I am looking forward to a more challenging work environment that would boost my career. I am looking forward for a domain change too but not at the cost of losing perspective of my 13+ years of experience in operations.

Target Schools
ISB, IIM-A, B, C, I
I have not thought of schools outside India, but would welcome suggestions.

Suggestions
Is my score worth it?
Or am I aiming too high?
Should I retake GMAT?...With the Round-1 deadline of IIM-A on 27th Aug 2019, I have very little time to decide. I can't just apply for the sake of it as my boss will have to give his LOR and I don't want to spill beans if I am not sure of an interview call at least.

Please evaluate my profile.

Thanks in advance.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 22:23
Hello and thanks for your post.

Even with your strong profile, being admitted to a top school like ISB will be challenging. The application process is holistic, and committees will look at your stats (GPA and GMAT), work experience, and extracurriculars.

Regarding your stats, your GMAT is below the average score for a program like ISB. I suggest you do your best to exceed 700 which will give yourself a better chance. As far as your work experience, you have great experience, though you will have to elaborate as to why after 13 years, you are looking for the MBA. Your story does make sense, but make sure it is compelling.
In general, I would recommend apply to schools which are closer to your average GMAT score, and then make sure – through your essays and resume – that you really showcase the leadership experience and impact you have made at work and in your extra-curricular activities.

Good luck!

Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate