Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ESADE '16
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION EUROPEAN BUSINESS SCHOOLS MSC FINANCE [#permalink]
Expert Reply
josfangonzalez wrote:
Hi lads!

I just took the gmat, and my unofficial score is 650 (q49 v30). I would like to know in which B-Schools I have chances to get admitted.

25 years old
Male
Spanish
Bachelor of Pharmacy (300 ECTS = 5-year degree), University of Salamanca
Bachelor of Business Administration (to be obtained in June, 2014): (240 ECTS= 4 year degree) University of Salamanca
Exchange year in Italy, University of Bologna. (studying Pharmacy)
Exchange year in France, Sciences Po Paris (Studying Business)

My grades: Best student out of 175 at Business Administration at U.Salamanca, 8,85/10.
Mention "Summa Cum Laude" awarded at Sciences Po Paris, which means the best 2% of the class students in one academic year.

Languages: Advanced Level in Italian (certificate proof, CILS-C1), Advanced level in French (DALF-C1) and TOEFL 103.
Professional experienced: 3 months internship in the Treasury department of a big pharmaceutical company, 6 months as Vice-director and manager in a Language School in Cork, Ireland. BAT Bloomberg Ambassador at University of Salamanca. Some other jobs, like working as pharmacy dispenser, teacher of italian,... I recognize that my work experience is quite poor for being 25!! Chances are scarce in Spain even to get an internship!!

I was aiming at HEC Paris and St Gallen, but as my GMAT score is so low, I wont accomplish the minimum requirements for these B-schools.
I love France and I would like to develop a career in France, here below I mention the schools I am interested in. I would appreciate if you comment about my chances to get in either of them. I want to take a MSc in Finance.
1. ESCP Europe in Paris
2. ESSEC Cergy (near Paris)
3. ESADE (Barcelona)
4. IE (Madrid)
5. Warwick ( UK)
6. Cranfield Management School.

Thank you very much, and sorry for bothering you!!

Hey there good sir,
First of all with your 650 you CAN and SHOULD apply to HEC and St. Gallen, ESCP and ESSEC are also great choices for France as is EM Lyon (okay, it's not Paris, but still... :) ) Apply to all.
Best,
JF
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your responses!!!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
You got it dude.
:)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink]
Hi,

I am Ashwin from India .
Could you help evaluate my profile based on the following details for my target schools of HBS, LBS, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg (one year) and INSEAD in the first bucket.
IE Business School, IESE France and Indian School of Business (ISB) in the second bucket.

I am an Indian male 28 years old
GMAT- 670 ( q49, v33, IR7, AWA 4.5)
MBA-Finance(2011) : 2.96/4.0 ( From top 20 B-School in India)
B.E (IT)(2008) : 62%
XII (2004) : 70%
X (2002) : 77%
CFA Level-II Cleared and Level-III Candidate.

Work Experience:
1 Yr in a family Investment Real Estate trust with a mandate to invest in long term revenue generating assets in India
2 Yrs in leading Infrastructure Finance Company with a mandate to invest through Project Finance, Mezzanine and in the Energy Sector in India
2 Yrs in a leading Conglomerate with a focus on Merger & Acquisition, New Investment feasibility and Capital Budgeting in Qatar, Middle East.

Extra curriculum activities : Mountaineering, Field Sports (Played at University Level).
Community Contribution :
Have been involved with an NGO since 2005 as an volunteer , then as secretary from 2007-2009, then as board trustee form 2009-2011. The NGO is primarily into providing skill based employment oriented trainings and family upliftment programs. I was able to convince the board to start a free clinic along with other activities. The clinic was started in 2008 with the help of volunteer doctors, currently the clinic serves more than 100 patients/day with free consultation and medication. The family upliftment programs and skill based/employment oriented trainings at the NGO has positively impacted life of more than 1000 people in India since its inception in 2003.

Major Professional Contribution :
India : Have conducted due diligence for project with a combined investment potential of USD 5Bn and successfully invested USD 450Mn in the aforesaid projects.
Qatar : In view of bleak long term feasibility, strongly recommended winding down business operations in two countries, thus reducing the consolidated annual losses by 20%.
Further, in view of a major systemic risk of a government infrastructure project on the business operations of the conglomerate, reorganized and reallocated available resources to business division based on their contribution to the net profit. Thus reducing the impact of the Government Infrastructure project on the Net profit of the conglomerate from a reduction of 35% in annual net profits to a reduction of 20% in consolidated annual net profits.

Entrepreneurial Stint :
Co-Fonded a Technology outsourcing company in 2011, the company was primarily into recovering loans from USA clients. However, the company winded down operation after an year due to low profitability and other systemic risk.

Post Second MBA Motivation :
As mentioned above my 1st MBA is from one of the top 20 B-Schools in India, which invariably differs from a Global MBA program in terms of exposure and content. However, in line with my motivation to set up an private equity fund with a focus on social entrepreneurs in India requires global exposure and networking. Hence, this second MBA, from an elite B-School, shall be instrumental in building the requisite global skill set to raise a private equity fund for social investments in India.

Do you think i am strong candidate for these schools,given the fact this is my second MBA attempt within a total of 5 years of passing out from the first one. Or can u suggest a few B-Schools where I can have better chance of making it.
Also are these school mentioned above open to admit candidates with a prior MBA. How can I improve my profile ?
Would my failed entrepreneurial journey be negative for the adcoms of the schools mentioned above ?

Thanks
Ashwin
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ashwinjoseph wrote:
Hi,

I am Ashwin from India .
Could you help evaluate my profile based on the following details for my target schools of HBS, LBS, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg (one year) and INSEAD in the first bucket.
IE Business School, IESE France and Indian School of Business (ISB) in the second bucket.

I am an Indian male 28 years old
GMAT- 670 ( q49, v33, IR7, AWA 4.5)
MBA-Finance(2011) : 2.96/4.0 ( From top 20 B-School in India)
B.E (IT)(2008) : 62%
XII (2004) : 70%
X (2002) : 77%
CFA Level-II Cleared and Level-III Candidate.

Work Experience:
1 Yr in a family Investment Real Estate trust with a mandate to invest in long term revenue generating assets in India
2 Yrs in leading Infrastructure Finance Company with a mandate to invest through Project Finance, Mezzanine and in the Energy Sector in India
2 Yrs in a leading Conglomerate with a focus on Merger & Acquisition, New Investment feasibility and Capital Budgeting in Qatar, Middle East.

Extra curriculum activities : Mountaineering, Field Sports (Played at University Level).
Community Contribution :
Have been involved with an NGO since 2005 as an volunteer , then as secretary from 2007-2009, then as board trustee form 2009-2011. The NGO is primarily into providing skill based employment oriented trainings and family upliftment programs. I was able to convince the board to start a free clinic along with other activities. The clinic was started in 2008 with the help of volunteer doctors, currently the clinic serves more than 100 patients/day with free consultation and medication. The family upliftment programs and skill based/employment oriented trainings at the NGO has positively impacted life of more than 1000 people in India since its inception in 2003.

Major Professional Contribution :
India : Have conducted due diligence for project with a combined investment potential of USD 5Bn and successfully invested USD 450Mn in the aforesaid projects.
Qatar : In view of bleak long term feasibility, strongly recommended winding down business operations in two countries, thus reducing the consolidated annual losses by 20%.
Further, in view of a major systemic risk of a government infrastructure project on the business operations of the conglomerate, reorganized and reallocated available resources to business division based on their contribution to the net profit. Thus reducing the impact of the Government Infrastructure project on the Net profit of the conglomerate from a reduction of 35% in annual net profits to a reduction of 20% in consolidated annual net profits.

Entrepreneurial Stint :
Co-Fonded a Technology outsourcing company in 2011, the company was primarily into recovering loans from USA clients. However, the company winded down operation after an year due to low profitability and other systemic risk.

Post Second MBA Motivation :
As mentioned above my 1st MBA is from one of the top 20 B-Schools in India, which invariably differs from a Global MBA program in terms of exposure and content. However, in line with my motivation to set up an private equity fund with a focus on social entrepreneurs in India requires global exposure and networking. Hence, this second MBA, from an elite B-School, shall be instrumental in building the requisite global skill set to raise a private equity fund for social investments in India.

Do you think i am strong candidate for these schools,given the fact this is my second MBA attempt within a total of 5 years of passing out from the first one. Or can u suggest a few B-Schools where I can have better chance of making it.
Also are these school mentioned above open to admit candidates with a prior MBA. How can I improve my profile ?
Would my failed entrepreneurial journey be negative for the adcoms of the schools mentioned above ?

Thanks
Ashwin

Hey Ashwin,
Okay dude, so you have some great stuff, and some less great stuff in your profile. Let's dig in and have a look.

STRENGTHS:
- International experience
- Excellent Volunteer Work (Board of NGO)
- Uncommon industry for Indian Candidates

WEAKNESSES:
- GPA
- GMAT
- Indian candidate
- 2nd MBA

So dude I really don't want to throw a damper on your parade, but HBS, Wharton, LBS and Booth probably won't even look at your application. Your GMAT is too low. So is your GPA. And with your first MBA, they are gonna give the place to others. INSEAD, IESE, ISB MIGHT be possible if you give them a fantastic, amazing killer application, but STILL will not be easy. The thing is they have enough 8.0+ 700+ candidates with no MBA from India, that unless they have a very good reason, they won't offer you a spot.

Buuuuuut, you DO have some pretty interesting and some pretty strong stuff in your profile. But it's just unlikely that Tier-1 schools will take you on. Even if you have a 720 with 8.0, a 2nd MBA is a hard sell. I've had a bunch of candidates do it, so it CAN happen, but it has to be good, and you will likely need to willing to compromise somewhat on the school.

If you have any other questions/comments/ideas drop a line,

Best,
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
PS… Next time, it's better if you start your own thread…
:)
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts