It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 17:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation (Fashion Studies)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 15

GPA: 4
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Profile evaluation (Fashion Studies) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 08:04
Hello,

Kindly review my profile and share your valuable inputs. 

Profile: I completed my graduation in Fashion studies from one of the top 3 colleges in Asia in 2014 with a CGPA of 7.43. I have been working with the biggest apparel organization in the country since June 2014. Currently have a rich experience of 39 months.

Extra-curricular: I am a national level athlete and I am regularly involved in different sports.

Have also won national level quiz competitions. Have been involved with couple of NGOs during my college days.

I gave my third attempt of GMAT at the beginning of the week. Below are all my scores:
1st attempt : 680 (Q-50, V-30, IR-7, AWA - 4)
2nd attempt : 670 (Q-49, V-33, IR-7, AWA - 5)
3rd attempt : 700 (Q-50, V-34, IR-8, AWA- awaited).

Though i did manage to touch the psychological barrier of 700, I still feel I am 30 points shy of reaching my target score. I need your help in pursuing my MBA dreams. 

Below is the shortlist which I have done:

1) US - Most preferred country for further education
2) Asia – ISB/NUS/NTU are the only preferred colleges for an Indian

Areas of interest : 1) General Management, 2) Marketing

I need your help in deciding which colleges I should apply.

I am targeting top 15 US B schools. So should I apply in Round 1 or give GMAT again and apply in Round 2 with a higher score?

As studying in my current job is becoming extremely tough, I am planning to switch my job and take a break of around a month between the jobs. 

Will it be okay if I plan my next GMAT attempt between a job switch?

Will a new job have any negative impact on my candidature?

Sent from my XT1033 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation (Fashion Studies) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 18:46
Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out. Your work experience sounds great (and not the most typical pre-MBA industry) so that should help distinguish you. Sounds like great extra-curricular involvement too!

That's great you've gotten your GMAT up to the 700 level. It's a solid score but I agree that if you want to target top 15 US schools, getting closer to 720/730, and in particular getting your Verbal score up to at least a 35 raw score, would put you in a much more competitive position.

If you think you can raise your GMAT score, I would wait til Round 2 so you can apply with a higher score.

As for switching jobs, that can be a little risky, it's better to apply employed, so you'd want to be certain you can line something up in that time. It also can make it harder to secure letters of recommendation. So just consider those things before you leave your current job. Is it possible to take some extended time off instead?

As for schools, if you're interested in marketing, schools like Kellogg and Fuqua should be on your list. Also UCLA and NYU, especially if you maintain an interest in the fashion industry.

Best of luck!
Kate

Yashkumar wrote:
Hello,

Kindly review my profile and share your valuable inputs. 

Profile: I completed my graduation in Fashion studies from one of the top 3 colleges in Asia in 2014 with a CGPA of 7.43. I have been working with the biggest apparel organization in the country since June 2014. Currently have a rich experience of 39 months.

Extra-curricular: I am a national level athlete and I am regularly involved in different sports.

Have also won national level quiz competitions. Have been involved with couple of NGOs during my college days.

I gave my third attempt of GMAT at the beginning of the week. Below are all my scores:
1st attempt : 680 (Q-50, V-30, IR-7, AWA - 4)
2nd attempt : 670 (Q-49, V-33, IR-7, AWA - 5)
3rd attempt : 700 (Q-50, V-34, IR-8, AWA- awaited).

Though i did manage to touch the psychological barrier of 700, I still feel I am 30 points shy of reaching my target score. I need your help in pursuing my MBA dreams. 

Below is the shortlist which I have done:

1) US - Most preferred country for further education
2) Asia – ISB/NUS/NTU are the only preferred colleges for an Indian

Areas of interest : 1) General Management, 2) Marketing

I need your help in deciding which colleges I should apply.

I am targeting top 15 US B schools. So should I apply in Round 1 or give GMAT again and apply in Round 2 with a higher score?

As studying in my current job is becoming extremely tough, I am planning to switch my job and take a break of around a month between the jobs. 

Will it be okay if I plan my next GMAT attempt between a job switch?

Will a new job have any negative impact on my candidature?

Sent from my XT1033 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 08:43
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out. Your work experience sounds great (and not the most typical pre-MBA industry) so that should help distinguish you. Sounds like great extra-curricular involvement too!

That's great you've gotten your GMAT up to the 700 level. It's a solid score but I agree that if you want to target top 15 US schools, getting closer to 720/730, and in particular getting your Verbal score up to at least a 35 raw score, would put you in a much more competitive position.

If you think you can raise your GMAT score, I would wait til Round 2 so you can apply with a higher score.

As for switching jobs, that can be a little risky, it's better to apply employed, so you'd want to be certain you can line something up in that time. It also can make it harder to secure letters of recommendation. So just consider those things before you leave your current job. Is it possible to take some extended time off instead?

As for schools, if you're interested in marketing, schools like Kellogg and Fuqua should be on your list. Also UCLA and NYU, especially if you maintain an interest in the fashion industry.

Best of luck!
Kate

Thanks a lot Kate for your reply. I can assure that getting recommendations from my current employer won't be a problem even if I leave my job. I am actually looking for switch for two reasons - 1. get growth in my career, 2. preparing for GMAT.

And yes I won't leave my job till I have a new job in hand. I know I can't apply to any B school when I am unemployed.

I do believe I can further take my score up to 730. Hopefully will be in a much better situation with a higher score. Work on application will remain same, irrespective of my score.

Also with a 700 should I apply in Ross/Fuqua/Stern in R1 or should I wait for my next GMAT attempt attempt and target them in R2?

Will there be any negatives of applying in Round 2 ?

Also, as I have already done my under graduation in fashion, I don't want to confine myself when it comes to Masters. Hence looking for a more generalized field.

Expert Post
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 18:26
Thanks for the additional info. I think we are on the same page re. the career switch. You can definitely frame up the switch as growth in your career.

There is no negative to applying in Round 2 if your application will be stronger then.

Good luck!
Kate

[/quote]

Thanks a lot Kate for your reply. I can assure that getting recommendations from my current employer won't be a problem even if I leave my job. I am actually looking for switch for two reasons - 1. get growth in my career, 2. preparing for GMAT.

And yes I won't leave my job till I have a new job in hand. I know I can't apply to any B school when I am unemployed.

I do believe I can further take my score up to 730. Hopefully will be in a much better situation with a higher score. Work on application will remain same, irrespective of my score.

Also with a 700 should I apply in Ross/Fuqua/Stern in R1 or should I wait for my next GMAT attempt attempt and target them in R2?

Will there be any negatives of applying in Round 2 ?

Also, as I have already done my under graduation in fashion, I don't want to confine myself when it comes to Masters. Hence looking for a more generalized field.[/quote]

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 03:44
Thanks for your reply Kate. I will concentrate on my next attempt of GMAT as of now. Will definitely get in touch with you around end of November when I am done with my exam. In the meantime I will start searching for a job which will fall in line with my overall plan.

Expert Post
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 17:22
Sounds great. Best of luck, and keep me posted!

Yashkumar wrote:
Thanks for your reply Kate. I will concentrate on my next attempt of GMAT as of now. Will definitely get in touch with you around end of November when I am done with my exam. In the meantime I will start searching for a job which will fall in line with my overall plan.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Profile evaluation (Fashion Studies)

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap