GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 13:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 15
Location: India
Schools: HEC '22
Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2019, 02:58
Hello,

I would really appreciate if someone on this thread could help me evaluate my chances of getting into HEC Paris or ESSEC France. Note that ESSEC would be my plan B, should HEC not work out.

Male
Non-technical background (BA in Economics with minors in Statistics and Commerce from St. Xavier's College, Mumbai, a tier 1 institute in India)
GPA 3.45/4
12th Grade: 82%
10th Grade: 86%

GMAT:
Scored a 660 on my first attempt (Q43 V38). I intend on retaking the exam before the application deadline with a realistic target score of 700.

Work experience:
Currently working with Deloitte S&O (Deloitte's management consulting practice) as an Analyst, straight out of undergrad. I will have 6 months of experience by interview time.

Internships:
1) Drip Capital- Sequoia-backed Fintech startup that specializes in trade finance for Indian SME exporters. Worked with them on projects involviing new market entry, competition benchmarking and industry analysis & research report building.

2) Zilingo- Fashion e-commerce unicorn operational primarily in SEA, with B2B operations in India. Worked with the B2B marketplace team on developing a credit programme to boost seller-onboarding on the platform. Also worked on a go-to-market strategy for one of Zilingo's in-house private label brands.

During my final year at Xavier's, I also worked on implementing a startup idea that revolved around digital freelance services. I have done extensive research on the gig economy as a result.

Research Papers:
1) Understanding the Pharma Industry from a shareholder's perspective (Corporate Finance oriented project)
2) The Impact of Sanctions on the Monetary and Fiscal Policy of Iran (Macroeconomics)

Social Service:
1) Helped a Thalasemmia NGO with a CSR pitch for ecommerce players in India, that would help generate employment for their patients as well as boost volunteership at NGOs across the city.

Hobbies:
1) Basketball- I've played the sport at the school, university and club-level for about 10 years now. I currently play recreationally at my local YMCA.
2) Live Music- I have covered music festivals for an Indian music magazine (similar to a Rolling Stone Magazine) and even worked as an artist liaison for international artists like Sean Paul and Dillon Francis when they played at a music festival in India.


I know my GMAT score may not be the best and is probably my biggest liability. But do you think the rest of my profile can make up for it?

Thanks,
Aaron
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1916
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740
Re: Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 23:04
Top Contributor
Lamda wrote:
Hello,

I would really appreciate if someone on this thread could help me evaluate my chances of getting into HEC Paris or ESSEC France. Note that ESSEC would be my plan B, should HEC not work out.

Male
Non-technical background (BA in Economics with minors in Statistics and Commerce from St. Xavier's College, Mumbai, a tier 1 institute in India)
GPA 3.45/4
12th Grade: 82%
10th Grade: 86%

GMAT:
Scored a 660 on my first attempt (Q43 V38). I intend on retaking the exam before the application deadline with a realistic target score of 700.

Work experience:
Currently working with Deloitte S&O (Deloitte's management consulting practice) as an Analyst, straight out of undergrad. I will have 6 months of experience by interview time.

Internships:
1) Drip Capital- Sequoia-backed Fintech startup that specializes in trade finance for Indian SME exporters. Worked with them on projects involviing new market entry, competition benchmarking and industry analysis & research report building.

2) Zilingo- Fashion e-commerce unicorn operational primarily in SEA, with B2B operations in India. Worked with the B2B marketplace team on developing a credit programme to boost seller-onboarding on the platform. Also worked on a go-to-market strategy for one of Zilingo's in-house private label brands.

During my final year at Xavier's, I also worked on implementing a startup idea that revolved around digital freelance services. I have done extensive research on the gig economy as a result.

Research Papers:
1) Understanding the Pharma Industry from a shareholder's perspective (Corporate Finance oriented project)
2) The Impact of Sanctions on the Monetary and Fiscal Policy of Iran (Macroeconomics)

Social Service:
1) Helped a Thalasemmia NGO with a CSR pitch for ecommerce players in India, that would help generate employment for their patients as well as boost volunteership at NGOs across the city.

Hobbies:
1) Basketball- I've played the sport at the school, university and club-level for about 10 years now. I currently play recreationally at my local YMCA.
2) Live Music- I have covered music festivals for an Indian music magazine (similar to a Rolling Stone Magazine) and even worked as an artist liaison for international artists like Sean Paul and Dillon Francis when they played at a music festival in India.


I know my GMAT score may not be the best and is probably my biggest liability. But do you think the rest of my profile can make up for it?

Thanks,
Aaron


Hi Aaron (@Lamda)

While you do have a good profile, the GMAT score will not be compensated for by the profile, especially as HEC is very sensitive in terms of GMAT scores for Indian applicants.
Your professional experience and ECA are quite good, but from last year Round 2 onwards, HEC has switched to an application that is more analysis-intensive than experience-intensive (as it used to be earlier). That does not mean that your experiences don't count, but that the GMAT score does acquire increased importance.

Have a look at the HEC MiM class profile and some success stories here

Target 700+ on the minimum on the GMAT, and possibly 720+ to be more competitive.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________
GyanOne [www.gyanone.com]| Premium MBA and MiM Admissions Consulting

Awesome Work | Honest Advise | Outstanding Results

Reach Out, Lets chat!
Email: info at gyanone dot com | +91 98998 31738 | Skype: gyanone.services
MiM-Essay Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Sep 2013
Posts: 487
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 23:50
Hey Aaron,

I must say that you have a pretty good profile. You have mentioned a very specific interest in HEC and ESSEC, so I am going to give my evaluation of keeping this in mind.

HEC comes under your dream school category, while ESSEC can be bucketed under the competitive category. On that note, I always suggest people apply to a minimum of 6 schools and bucket them into a dream, competitive and safe categories - This is a great strategy to get into the best program that fits your profile.

Coming back to the evaluation, Here are a couple of things that work out for you, especially from HEC's perspective:

- HEC is notorious for recruiting only from tier-1 colleges, so your college rank works out here. GPA is good as well.

- Your work experience is interesting - You have a good mix of working with a known brand as well as some interesting experiences. If you are articulate enough on picking the right data points to highlight, they will be an asset to the application.

- Your extra-curricular add the element of diversity to your profile - Sports, Social Volunteering, Research papers, Music can showcase you as a holistic applicant.

Having said this, here are certain things that you must keep in mind to stand a stronger chance of selection:

-When we talk about schools like HEC, ESSEC and ESCP - note that these schools attract stellar profiles from around the world. So even with a good profile yourself, you start off almost at a level.
Your profile will have a bit of a competitive advantage when you are targeting safe schools, but to target HEC and ESSEC, you would need a very STRONG DIFFERENTIATOR - what is it about you that sets you apart from other 8000 odd applicants. The answer can come from either your current profile or through linking your long term goals to key milestones of your profile.
In my experience, the latter works out better :)

- While your extracurriculars are pretty good,
what the adcoms are looking for is either a very good mix of different activities, or just1/2 activities where you have taken things to the next level. You need to brainstorm and see which strategy you would like to use to portray your extra-curricular.

- Lack of international experience can be a bit of a roadblock, this is not a deal-breaker though. You can use other profile strengths to compensate for it.

- GMAT, as you yourself have mentioned is not your best score. If you retake it and achieve a 700+ score, it will boost your chances significantly.

I conduct a weekly webinar where I help potential applicants navigate through such questions totally free of cost :)

If you are interested, drop me an email at info@mim-essay.com, I will send over the link of the latest webinar

Hope this helped !
_________________
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM Essay

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:Book an Appointment
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2018
Posts: 17
Re: Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 04:27
I am indian undergraduate student.

Bachelor of management studies major in finance from mumbai University ( cgpa. 8).
HSC from State board with 74%.
SSC from State board with 77%.

Frm exam 1
Corporate finance from columbia business school through edx.

Gmat: 720.

TECHNICAL SKILLS; Windows,C,C#.

AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS;
2nd prize in ad-mad for the topic : mutual fund.
Participated in various sports.
Volunteering in national service scheme.
Volunteer of local ngo.
Various certifications related to maths in school days.

3 months internship in iifl indian financial company.

Language;
Hindi
Marathi
English
French A2 level

What are my chances ?

Posted from my mobile device
MiM-Essay Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Sep 2013
Posts: 487
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2019, 12:08
Hey Rahul9324,


I must say that you have a pretty decent profile.

According to your profile, you can list HEC Paris under the dream school category whereas ESSEC can be listed under the competitive category.

Also, you have a few things working out for you which are decent GMAT score and a 3-month summer internship in IIFL.

Talking About your Profile, your CGPA can be a bit of a roadblock, this is not a deal-breaker though. You can use other profile strengths to compensate for it.
On the other hand your profile will have a bit of a competitive advantages like your corporate finance course from Columbia business school and your GMAT score when you are targeting safe schools, but to target HEC and ESSEC, you would need a very strong differentiator - what is it about you that sets you apart from other 8000 odd applicants. The answer can come from either your current profile or through linking your long term goals to key milestones of your profile.

Other than this you have a fair Work-Experience. You have a good brand name in your resume and with proper representation of your roles in IIFL, you can get an edge over the other application for ESSEC or HEC.

Along with a good profile, you need a extracurriculars that can be showcased through your essays and LOR’s. This can be in the form of some very strong achievements, or a very unique skill set - Something that you do better than the others. Maybe you'll need to build it, or maybe you already have it in your profile.
In this case, your technical skills and proper presentation of your Achievements can be helpful.

In the end, I’d suggest you apply to a minimum of 6 schools and bucket them into a dream, competitive and safe categories - This is a great strategy to get into the best program that fits your profile.
Also, I would suggest you take this profile evaluation to get a better idea about your chances at your target schools: https://mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gcf

Hope this helps!
_________________
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM Essay

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:Book an Appointment
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Apr 2019
Posts: 15
Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2019, 05:47
1
MiMEssay
Hi, can anyone review my profile please ? My plan is to do an MIM in France ( St. Gallen, HEC, ESSEC, skema, ESMT, Schulich ) are the schools I would like to apply to.

Female
Technical background (BE Instrumentation from one of the top universities under Anna university )
GPA : 8.23 / 10
12th Grade: 95.6%
10th Grade: 92.5% - State First in French

GMAT:
I will taking it the next month. With the current mock and my pace, I think a 690 is safe to assume.

Work experience:
2+ years
BNY Mellon - Internship
My own Start up experience - Dealt with AR/VR ->> dint go well. Therefore joined a company recently
Now working as a Business Analyst ( Team Lead )

Internships:
1) BNY - At BNY Mellon Technologies, I was involved in Big data Analytics. Also, me and another from the same team were able to create a VR/AR application that was showcased in their international conference.2) Blockchain technology - Create smart contracts and tokens.
I have also created a mobile application for the district chess association.
Research papers - 1 Technical related to Instrumentation
Social Service:
1) Part of an NGO. We are part of the mentoring division, we have our own pedagogy and educate almost 15+ children.
Hobbies:
1) Basketball- I've played the sport at the school and university level.
2) Dance - I choreograph for local events at school or college.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2019, 12:50
Amlu95 wrote:
MiMEssay
Hi, can anyone review my profile please ? My plan is to do an MIM in France ( St. Gallen, HEC, ESSEC, skema, ESMT, Schulich ) are the schools I would like to apply to.

Female
Technical background (BE Instrumentation from one of the top universities under Anna university )
GPA : 8.23 / 10
12th Grade: 95.6%
10th Grade: 92.5% - State First in French

GMAT:
I will taking it the next month. With the current mock and my pace, I think a 690 is safe to assume.

Work experience:
2+ years
BNY Mellon - Internship
My own Start up experience - Dealt with AR/VR ->> dint go well. Therefore joined a company recently
Now working as a Business Analyst ( Team Lead )

Internships:
1) BNY - At BNY Mellon Technologies, I was involved in Big data Analytics. Also, me and another from the same team were able to create a VR/AR application that was showcased in their international conference.2) Blockchain technology - Create smart contracts and tokens.
I have also created a mobile application for the district chess association.
Research papers - 1 Technical related to Instrumentation
Social Service:
1) Part of an NGO. We are part of the mentoring division, we have our own pedagogy and educate almost 15+ children.
Hobbies:
1) Basketball- I've played the sport at the school and university level.
2) Dance - I choreograph for local events at school or college.


Hi!

You have a competitive profile for the schools that you mentioned. The only odd thing that stands out is the duration of work experience. However, with the right reasoning in the essays and the application, you can make a strong case for why you want to pursue MiM.

1. Undergrad School: Coming from a top university definitely helps
2. Grades: They will work in your favour and help you make your application competitive
3: GMAT: Do try and push it beyond 700
4. Work: BNY is a good name to have but the duration is a concern. This can be mitigated through the right essays and LORs.
5. Extra curriculars: Very well rounded and will make your application stronger

Happy to speak if you'd like further help.

Team MiM Application
mimapplication.com
MiM-Essay Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Sep 2013
Posts: 487
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2019, 23:39
1
Also guys, I am conducting a Live Q&A Session on French Schools on my Facebook group tomorrow. If you are interested in any of the major schools in France (HEC, ESSEC,ESCP, Grenoble,Skema, Sciences Po), I would suggest you not to miss this :)
Date: 19th November'19
Time: 7:30 PM

How to join the session?
Join our Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2683763 ... s?gmatclub
Once you are accepted, you can join us Live on Tuesday 7:30 PM IST on the group.
In case you need any help for it, you can ping me and I will be happy to help you out
_________________
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM Essay

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:Book an Appointment
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 09:12
Profile Evaluation.
Gmat 670 (Quant 47 Verbal 35 IR 6)

Gpa:2.72 (BSC Accounting & Finance, From a top ranked Business school in Pakistan)

Work Experience: 20 Months

Posted from my mobile device
MiM-Essay Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 22 Sep 2013
Posts: 487
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 00:37
hnkhan123 wrote:
Profile Evaluation.
Gmat 670 (Quant 47 Verbal 35 IR 6)

Gpa:2.72 (BSC Accounting & Finance, From a top ranked Business school in Pakistan)

Work Experience: 20 Months

Posted from my mobile device
Hi hnkhan123, so you are targeting HEC,and ESSEC as well? Or do you have some other countries in mind?
Well, the GPA is a bit on the lower side for HEC. Secondly the school is notorious for recruiting only from the top 10 UG schools of the applicant's home country, so in this context your UG rank might help.
French schools look for a holistic profile so would need more details on the extra-curriculars as well the work ex section ( Company name, Key learnings,etc)
I would suggest you to take up a profile evaluation so that I can get back with an indepth analysis. Here's the link: https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gmat-pe
_________________
Abhyank Srinet
Founder and Head Consultant at MiM Essay

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here:Book an Appointment
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2019
Posts: 6
Re: Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 01:34
MiMEssay wrote:
hnkhan123 wrote:
Profile Evaluation.
Gmat 670 (Quant 47 Verbal 35 IR 6)

Gpa:2.72 (BSC Accounting & Finance, From a top ranked Business school in Pakistan)

Work Experience: 20 Months

Posted from my mobile device
Hi hnkhan123, so you are targeting HEC,and ESSEC as well? Or do you have some other countries in mind?
Well, the GPA is a bit on the lower side for HEC. Secondly the school is notorious for recruiting only from the top 10 UG schools of the applicant's home country, so in this context your UG rank might help.
French schools look for a holistic profile so would need more details on the extra-curriculars as well the work ex section ( Company name, Key learnings,etc)
I would suggest you to take up a profile evaluation so that I can get back with an indepth analysis. Here's the link: https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation?gmat-pe


Hey,
So basically I have Essec, Hec and Insead in mind for MIM in france. Other programs I am considering are Business analytics programs in Richard Ivey and Sauder Business school (Canada).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2019, 01:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation for HEC Paris, ESSEC

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne