It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for ISB

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: ISB '17
Profile Evaluation for ISB [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 12:30
Hi,

Please Evaluate my profile below:

Acads:
GMAT: 670(1st GmatPrep mock); 710(2nd GmatPrep mock); expected 720+
10'th(CBSE) : 90.6%
12'th(CBSE) : 85.6%
B.E(Hons.) EEE from Bits Pilani - Goa Campus; CGPA: 7.29/10

WorkEx: Working in leading MNCs in semiconductor and EDA domain.
sep'2011-sep'2013: Software Engineer I at Xilinx, Hyderabad
oct'2013-oct'2014: Software Engineer II at Xilinx, Hyderabad
apr'2015-present: Software Engineer II at Cadence, Noida

Internships:
summer internship: NTPC, Dadri
july'2010-dec'2010: ST Microelectronics, Noida
july'2011-aug'2011: Xilinx, Hyderabad

NGO experience:
march'2013- oct'2014: Executive Committee member and Volunteer at Nirmaan, Hyderabad(Education Initiatives)
march'2015: full-time intern at Swechha, Delhi(RTE awareness Campaign)

Gaps:
2006: Took a gap to prepare for engineering entrances
nov'2014 - april'2015:
1) Travelled solo for 3 months in states of rajasthan, Gujarat, MP, Bihar, Goa and Kerela
2) Worked at Swechha NGO
3) Worked part time at family business for a month

Extra-curricular/Achievements/Leadership roles:
1) Won 'Instant Recognition Award' within first year at Xilinx. Promoted in 2 years while the general trend is 3+ years.
2) Started Volleyball club for Xilinx. Was Captain of Xilinx cricket team. Managed team outings.
3) Managed weekend CLP programme at Nirmaan, NGO. Started Science club for 8th standard students. Lead the collaboration with another NGO for curriculum development.
4) Was part of various clubs and event committes for college fests at Bits Pilani- Goa.
5) Met/lived with people from different nationalities during my 3-months travel(maybe could cover up for international exposure).

Post-Mba plans: Have been involved in tech for more than 4 years now. Plan to understand the business side of things by taking up a role of product manager for few years.

Please evaluate the profile for ISB. Also, please provide valuable feedback on where I could improve.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2015, 22:31
Hi Vaibhav,

Your overall profile looks good. Acads are good, from a well-known college, and you are trending well on the GMAT too. There is some variance in your GMATPrep-1 and 2 scores, so ensuring performance in sync with your second mock is something you should focus on as of now.

Your work experience is good as well, in both quality and quantity. Focus not just on the tech areas of your profile, but your learning and experience beyond as well. International experience is not a pre-requisite at ISB, so not having that is not a concern, and you dont really need to make up for it. Your gap from Nov - Apr is not a huge concern, but you should clearly explain the rationale for it, and ensure it does not come across as exploration but rather a well-planned break.

Your ECA and leadership outside work is decent as well. Well-spread across initiatives, sports, and social activities.

Post-MBA plans as expressed here seem good, but translating the technical (so far) into a compelling vision that also combines the business side will be the main challenge. ISB in particular is not strong at product management from a hardware perspective (most people getting into the domain are getting into internet or e-commerce), so creating that link will be key. Can certainly be done, though later.

For now, don't focus on anything else except for the GMAT. Ensure on getting a great score there. You are not really missing anything at this point. A great score will boost you further. All the best!

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with further questions/clarifications.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 517

Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 01:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi

Please evaluate my profile.
I have a bad GMAT score of 600 (Quant 47 and verbal 25).
Please confirm if i have a shot.
Currently working on essays

My profile:
10th standard (1999): 81.4% (CBSE)
12th Standard (2001) : 83.2% (CBSE)
Graduation: B-Tech CS, NIT Raipur 7.6/10
Total work ex- 10 years 2 months
GMAT Score:600 (QA 47, VA 25) . I know its on poor side.

Got Placed in TCS from Campus recruitment , Worked for three months till December 2005.
Joined PSU as MT in January 2006 and posted at plant.
Responsible for setting up biggest migration projects of all production data from legacy systems to modern SAP systems along with Business partner Hewlett Packard
Received letter of recommendation from CEO for outstanding work in this area.
Also, received Letter of appreciation from Hewlett Packard (HP) for knowledge of business process in my org.
Handled team with with different diversities and also worked with team from Italy and Germany who have come various automation process.
Have certification on various SAP Modules - SAP MM, Basis, XI/PI
Have published 3 paper about steel industry in various publications
Nominated as most young enthusiast at Campus many times.
Currently working on a paper that deals with viable usage of slag, cast iron that can help generate and diversify revenue for my org.

Extracurricular-

Sports enthusiast-

Currently teaching Hockey to underprivileged students. Have been playing hockey at state-level and Organization level.

Also, loves playing Lawn tennis, Cricket and swimming.

Avid reader and quizzer. Topics- World and Indian Politics, Sports and movies

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 517

Re: Profile Evaluation for ISB   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2016, 01:09