GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 13:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation.. for Marketing PhD (Consumer Behavior)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile evaluation.. for Marketing PhD (Consumer Behavior)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 04:34
Hi everyone,

I am shooting for marketing PhD for Fall 2019 entrance. I'm applying for consumer behavior track.

Following are the brief summary of my profile

- International student

ACADEMIC
Undergraduate (Top 20 in the U.S., Major: Business, GPA: 3.43/4.0)
Graduate (#1 school in my home country. Major: Marketing (Consumer Behavior), GPA: 4.04/4.3)

GMAT (total of 4 attempts, 2 attempts were canceled)
660 (71%) (Q: 49 (75%), V:31 (61%), IR:8 (92%), AWA (not yet available)
680 (85%) (Q:47 (61%), V:38 (85%), IR:4 (60%), AWA 4.5 (65%))
TOFEL: Waived

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
1) Undergraduate research experience
1 year RA experience for sociology project (undergraduate)
Undergraduate research symposium
Undergraduate research journal publication
Undergraduate sociologiy conference presentation

2)Graduate research experience
Two working paper poster presentation at the major marketing conference in the U.S.
2 years RA experience for a marketing project
6-months RA experience for a psychology project
TA for two classes

OTHER
3-months internship at a consulting firm in Austria
6-months internship at an insurance company as a consultant
1-year full-time work experience at a marketing division

AWARDS AND HONORS
2-years full scholarships for graduate school
First place for business case competition (organized by big 4 consulting firm)
Semi-finalist for business case competition (organized by top 20 U.S. university)

RECOMMENDATION ( expect to by pretty good)
1 letter from marketing professor from my undergraduate school (he is one of the big names in the field)
1 letter from sociology professor from my undergraduate school (current sociology department head)
1 letter from the current graduate school advisor

My first choices are NYU, Columbia, and USC, but I am extremely concerned with my GMAT score because I know many scores 700+
The two scores I have mixed score - meaning, one has high Q but low V, but the other has high V but low Q.

I'm planning to retake it, but that's going to be my last attempt since we are allowed to take only 5 attempts per year.
Will I have chances to school like NYU? I'm really afraid if the admissions counsel will table reject my application because of my GMAT.

I'm also looking at some major state schools, such as U Pitts, U Indiana, U Michigan (I know this one is top school)
Would greatly appreciate if you could give me a word of advice!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Profile evaluation.. for Marketing PhD (Consumer Behavior)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 15:00
rlarbfl101 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am shooting for marketing PhD for Fall 2019 entrance. I'm applying for consumer behavior track.

Following are the brief summary of my profile

- International student

ACADEMIC
Undergraduate (Top 20 in the U.S., Major: Business, GPA: 3.43/4.0)
Graduate (#1 school in my home country. Major: Marketing (Consumer Behavior), GPA: 4.04/4.3)

GMAT (total of 4 attempts, 2 attempts were canceled)
660 (71%) (Q: 49 (75%), V:31 (61%), IR:8 (92%), AWA (not yet available)
680 (85%) (Q:47 (61%), V:38 (85%), IR:4 (60%), AWA 4.5 (65%))
TOFEL: Waived

RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
1) Undergraduate research experience
1 year RA experience for sociology project (undergraduate)
Undergraduate research symposium
Undergraduate research journal publication
Undergraduate sociologiy conference presentation

2)Graduate research experience
Two working paper poster presentation at the major marketing conference in the U.S.
2 years RA experience for a marketing project
6-months RA experience for a psychology project
TA for two classes

OTHER
3-months internship at a consulting firm in Austria
6-months internship at an insurance company as a consultant
1-year full-time work experience at a marketing division

AWARDS AND HONORS
2-years full scholarships for graduate school
First place for business case competition (organized by big 4 consulting firm)
Semi-finalist for business case competition (organized by top 20 U.S. university)

RECOMMENDATION ( expect to by pretty good)
1 letter from marketing professor from my undergraduate school (he is one of the big names in the field)
1 letter from sociology professor from my undergraduate school (current sociology department head)
1 letter from the current graduate school advisor

My first choices are NYU, Columbia, and USC, but I am extremely concerned with my GMAT score because I know many scores 700+
The two scores I have mixed score - meaning, one has high Q but low V, but the other has high V but low Q.

I'm planning to retake it, but that's going to be my last attempt since we are allowed to take only 5 attempts per year.
Will I have chances to school like NYU? I'm really afraid if the admissions counsel will table reject my application because of my GMAT.

I'm also looking at some major state schools, such as U Pitts, U Indiana, U Michigan (I know this one is top school)
Would greatly appreciate if you could give me a word of advice!

Hello rlarbfl101

Congrats on lofty goal of pursuing PhD ;)

Graduate GPA as most recent will be more important to ad com, and besides good GPA you have positive trend of increasing GPA from undergraduate to master studies which is exactly what they want to see.

For Stern NYU the GMAT scores of students admitted in the last ten years average over 700, meaning above and below were accepted, so you are still in the game.

For Columbia, their candidates have shown a tendency to score 90% and higher on each section (verbal, quantitative, and analytical) of their chosen standardized exam.

For Marshall USC mean GMAT is 92nd Percentile.

Columbia and Marshall figures I presented to you are average for all PhD departments, so actual Marketing figures can be lower, still you get the picture.

You should definitely apply to Pittsburgh, Indiana and Michigan, those are all great schools and easier to get in than above mentioned, except Ross.

Your graduate research and teaching experience is a plus.

Award and honors also add to application.

Good luck with retaking GMAT and your application :fingers_crossed:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2018, 15:52
I'm actually in the same situation! Aiming for a PhD in consumer behavior and got a 680 on my GMAT. I'm definitely planning on retaking it because although not all schools say 700 is the cutoff, i'm pretty sure they will treat us differently for having a lower score. Good luck to you!
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 15:18
lostboy wrote:
I'm actually in the same situation! Aiming for a PhD in consumer behavior and got a 680 on my GMAT. I'm definitely planning on retaking it because although not all schools say 700 is the cutoff, i'm pretty sure they will treat us differently for having a lower score. Good luck to you!

Yeah, in many cases there is no cutoff really. But they expect to see strength in a profile, and a high GMAT is one of the ways to show that. It is a lot easier to make them look at you with a high score.

And if that 680 was your first attempt, you should definitely retake it after you feel you have really improved. I also had 680 in my first attempt, and given some other weaknesses in my profile, I saw that 680 wouldn't be enough to make my profile stand out.

http://myphdtales.blogspot.com.br/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile evaluation.. for Marketing PhD (Consumer Behavior) &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2018, 15:18

Profile evaluation.. for Marketing PhD (Consumer Behavior)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carcass, billionaire

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap