Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - IceMan2020 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Glad to help, and good luck! :)

Iceman2020 wrote:
Hi mbaMissionKate thanks so much for your prompt reply! Really appreciate all the guidance and support. Will plan my studies with this target in mind :)

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi Iceman2020! This is Kate with mbaMission, and I hope you too are staying safe during this time. Sorry to hear about the COVID impact on your recent startup. To answer your question on that, I would find a way to mention it somewhere in your application as I think schools like ISB value entrepreneurial traits and taking initiative. If you had some early progress/wins, I would list it on your resume. Perhaps consider using it as an example for your essays too, as I found often times that learning from failure can be a powerful topic for an essay (depending on the prompt of course).

Aside from that point, it seems like you have an excellent work profile and several examples of leadership skills plus exposure to another market. Your GPA looks great too, and it seems like you were quite involved in activities.

As for GMAT, I would aim to be above ISB's 710 average, so at least a 720. If you can get there, I think you've got strong chances!

Hope that helps,
Kate

Iceman2020 wrote:
Hi mbaMissionKate, mbaMissionNishaT, mbaMissionJA, mbaMissionDebbie

Hope you all are doing well and staying safe as we live through these apocalyptic days.

I was hoping if any of you could evaluate my profile and help me figure out my chances of getting into ISB Co'22.

GMAT: Yet to take the exam
Background: Indian Engineering Male (The worst possible trio :( you read it right)

Acads:
1) Class X: 93.4% (ICSE Board)
2) Class XII: 85.0% (State Board) - Awarded scholarship by State Govt for performance within top 1% of HSC Board
3) Graduation: Bachelor of Engineering with an 8/10 CGPA (not sure if ISB wants us to convert this to GPA)
4) Cleared CFA Level 1

Work Experience:
- Currently working with a bulge bracket Investment Bank for 32 months. I have consistently been a strong performer in my batch year and team which helped me get a fast-track promotion last year. I was also the first analyst to be deputed to Los Angeles to work with the onshore team for one month. Started as a junior analyst, I am now the senior most member in my team (after my manager) and hence entrusted with a lot of leadership responsibilities. Although not being the manager on paper I still actively contribute in managing the team members, team's work, and coordinating with all the relevant stakeholders (Not sure if this helps demonstrate Leadership skills - as I'm not the manager on paper). In addition to that I have solely trained ~11 juniors on topics such as valuation and capital structure comparison.

Apart from all of this I have been an active participant in firm wide activities including CSR and participating in competitions. I was also ranked among the top 10% (in a batch of 30) in the Analyst training program conducted by The WallStreetWiz.

I have also worked on several multi million dollar deals including acquisition financing, capital structure strategies, and treasury deals.

Co-curricular activities:
- Elected as Head Boy for Academic year 2010-11 based on the scholastic performance & leadership capabilities
- Represented Mumbai University for a National Level Robotics Competition at IIT Delhi
- IEEE (an International Student Body) Chairperson for my engineering college. During that time I spearheaded several inter & intra college events & symposiums. The highlight remains my team and I organizing "The International Symposium on Internet of Things" in collaboration with a US based startup
- Active coordinator of IEEE Bombay Section (which includes 100+ engineering colleges)

Extra-curricular activities:
- Marketing head of college’s Cultural and Technical Fest
- Student Ambassador of the NGO - Indian Development Foundation
- Campus Ambassador for The Grapevine Co. (which included working with clients like MTV and ITC)

Courses:
- Portfolio and Risk Management by Indian School of Business on Coursera

Others:
- I had co-founded a start-up (earlier this year) with my friend but we had to shut shop because our business model was severely impacted by COVID-19. However we still had some initial success and were able to get a couple of clients on board. (Not sure if i can put this failed attempt on my resume) - Kindly advice.

Hobbies:
- Modelling (a few print media advertisements), Acting, & Football

Thank you so much for reading through such a long post. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my chances at ISB Co'22, my target score, and any other advice. I can understand if you might not not be able to help me provide color on ISB in particular (if that college not your expertise) but would still appreciate any other advice and a target score.
Current Student
Send PM
Hi mbaMissionKate

Can i bother you one more question? I was hoping to get your expert guidance on the topic of my STORY.

Post MBA Goal: I want to keep my options open. Finance is definitely a consideration (given my work ex) but i would also like to venture in Entrepreneurship / start-up world. I don't know if this sounds like a compelling story but i was thinking of leveraging my leadership skills and start-up experience (failed and short lived) to write my essays and applications.

Not sure if ISB encourages startups and if i should tweak my story for my essays. Would really like to hear your thoughts on the same.

mbaMissionKate wrote:

Iceman2020 wrote:
Hi mbaMissionKate thanks so much for your prompt reply! Really appreciate all the guidance and support. Will plan my studies with this target in mind :)

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi Iceman2020! This is Kate with mbaMission, and I hope you too are staying safe during this time. Sorry to hear about the COVID impact on your recent startup. To answer your question on that, I would find a way to mention it somewhere in your application as I think schools like ISB value entrepreneurial traits and taking initiative. If you had some early progress/wins, I would list it on your resume. Perhaps consider using it as an example for your essays too, as I found often times that learning from failure can be a powerful topic for an essay (depending on the prompt of course).

Aside from that point, it seems like you have an excellent work profile and several examples of leadership skills plus exposure to another market. Your GPA looks great too, and it seems like you were quite involved in activities.

As for GMAT, I would aim to be above ISB's 710 average, so at least a 720. If you can get there, I think you've got strong chances!

Hope that helps,
Kate

Iceman2020 wrote:

Hope you all are doing well and staying safe as we live through these apocalyptic days.

I was hoping if any of you could evaluate my profile and help me figure out my chances of getting into ISB Co'22.

Background: Indian Engineering Male (The worst possible trio :( you read it right)

Acads:
2) Class XII: 85.0% (State Board) - Awarded scholarship by State Govt for performance within top 1% of HSC Board
3) Graduation: Bachelor of Engineering with an 8/10 CGPA (not sure if ISB wants us to convert this to GPA)
4) Cleared CFA Level 1

Work Experience:
- Currently working with a bulge bracket Investment Bank for 32 months. I have consistently been a strong performer in my batch year and team which helped me get a fast-track promotion last year. I was also the first analyst to be deputed to Los Angeles to work with the onshore team for one month. Started as a junior analyst, I am now the senior most member in my team (after my manager) and hence entrusted with a lot of leadership responsibilities. Although not being the manager on paper I still actively contribute in managing the team members, team's work, and coordinating with all the relevant stakeholders (Not sure if this helps demonstrate Leadership skills - as I'm not the manager on paper). In addition to that I have solely trained ~11 juniors on topics such as valuation and capital structure comparison.

Apart from all of this I have been an active participant in firm wide activities including CSR and participating in competitions. I was also ranked among the top 10% (in a batch of 30) in the Analyst training program conducted by The WallStreetWiz.

I have also worked on several multi million dollar deals including acquisition financing, capital structure strategies, and treasury deals.

- Elected as Head Boy for Academic year 2010-11 based on the scholastic performance & leadership capabilities
- Represented Mumbai University for a National Level Robotics Competition at IIT Delhi
- IEEE (an International Student Body) Chairperson for my engineering college. During that time I spearheaded several inter & intra college events & symposiums. The highlight remains my team and I organizing "The International Symposium on Internet of Things" in collaboration with a US based startup
- Active coordinator of IEEE Bombay Section (which includes 100+ engineering colleges)

- Campus Ambassador for The Grapevine Co. (which included working with clients like MTV and ITC)

Courses:

Others:
- I had co-founded a start-up (earlier this year) with my friend but we had to shut shop because our business model was severely impacted by COVID-19. However we still had some initial success and were able to get a couple of clients on board. (Not sure if i can put this failed attempt on my resume) - Kindly advice.

Hobbies:

Thank you so much for reading through such a long post. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my chances at ISB Co'22, my target score, and any other advice. I can understand if you might not not be able to help me provide color on ISB in particular (if that college not your expertise) but would still appreciate any other advice and a target score.
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good question. Agree with keeping your options open and jumping on any opportunities that may arise during the program. But in my experience, admissions can be skeptical of entrepreneurship as an immediate post-MBA goal. It's just hard for them to gauge whether you'll be successful or not, knowing how opportunistic that can be. I'd opt for something more in line with the school's placement stats (e.g., consulting, finance) in the near term, and then would definitely discuss in your essays your desire to do something more entrepreneurial a few years out of business school. Hope that helps!

Kate

Iceman2020 wrote:
Hi mbaMissionKate

Can i bother you one more question? I was hoping to get your expert guidance on the topic of my STORY.

Post MBA Goal: I want to keep my options open. Finance is definitely a consideration (given my work ex) but i would also like to venture in Entrepreneurship / start-up world. I don't know if this sounds like a compelling story but i was thinking of leveraging my leadership skills and start-up experience (failed and short lived) to write my essays and applications.

Not sure if ISB encourages startups and if i should tweak my story for my essays. Would really like to hear your thoughts on the same.

mbaMissionKate wrote:

Iceman2020 wrote:

mbaMissionKate wrote:

Hope that helps,
Kate

Iceman2020 wrote:

Acads:
4) Cleared CFA Level 1

Work Experience:

Courses:

Others:

Hobbies:

Current Student
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - IceMan2020 [#permalink]
Hi mbaMissionKate,

As always your replies are to the point and very helpful.

Appreciate your guidance!

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Good question. Agree with keeping your options open and jumping on any opportunities that may arise during the program. But in my experience, admissions can be skeptical of entrepreneurship as an immediate post-MBA goal. It's just hard for them to gauge whether you'll be successful or not, knowing how opportunistic that can be. I'd opt for something more in line with the school's placement stats (e.g., consulting, finance) in the near term, and then would definitely discuss in your essays your desire to do something more entrepreneurial a few years out of business school. Hope that helps!

Kate

Iceman2020 wrote:
Hi mbaMissionKate

mbaMissionKate wrote:

Iceman2020 wrote:

mbaMissionKate wrote:

Hope that helps,
Kate

Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
My pleasure!
Moderator:
1452 posts