Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 02:25 It is currently 12 May 2024, 02:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Unique Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi again, thanks for the additional context. Yes I think you can frame the program as more about personal development you weren't getting on the job and how the MBA will be a continuation of that. Understand why you might not want to pursue social entrepreneurship immediately post MBA, but make sure that element is a part of your long term story.

Agree that restarting the GMAT now is probably not worth the investment. Stellar candidates with excellent stories can get in to top schools with a 690, and having a 700, wouldn't make a huge difference, but it just means that it's much harder to predict your chances, and some schools may be weighing the GMAT more heavily, especially for certain demographics.

Good luck!
Kate

msfan329 wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thank you for your response. I do have a desire in me to pursue social entrepreneurship, as I mentioned in my post. However it is not an immediate goal at the moment and I pursued the seminary and non-profit experience to gain exposure to the areas and for personal reasons, unrelated to professional goals per say. Could it work to describe this as fulfilling a personal goal as well as gaining leadership experience lacking in professional experience? This would draw less from the non-profit experience and more on gaining leadership qualities that I wasn't exposed to at work and make sense to return to Oil and Gas. Or I could talk about a new interest in pursuing non-profit such as educational initiatives for underprivileged minorities and immigrants, since it is a desire of mine and part of a longer term plan.

So I regret not taking the GMAT again. I studied for several months with a paid course from MGMAT, and was aiming for a 700 but fell just a bit short (started with a score of ~630). I was planning to retake but different matters at work arose and as time went by I never retook it. It's been over 2 years since the exam and I would have to re-study to get back to where I left off, not to mention improve. I would be willing to put in the work if it would make a big difference. One reason I didn't place higher priority to retake is I researched more about the impact of GMAT scores and felt that with my background and experience, and the nature of the programs I am applying to, my score is passable and the schools are looking more for the personal story and uniqueness factor as opposed to the highest GMAT score. With that being said, I did I feel a little uncomfortable not breaching the 700 mark that seems to be the threshold for an "acceptable" GMAT score.

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi msfan329,

You do have a pretty unique profile and combination of experience, which overall should be a plus, as long as you can show clear reasons for why you left oil & gas for the seminary program. In fact, I would re-think the post MBA goal to re-align with your recent training and non-profit exposure, as it might seem like a detour to go back to oil & gas post-MBA.

You've got an excellent GPA in a challenging field. Your extracurricular involvement seems really strong too. Only challenge I see is GMAT. It is just one part of your application, but it's an important one. Is it possible to raise that before you apply? Difficult to predict your chances at such competitive schools when you have a GMAT score that is ~30 points below average. With stellar applications and stories, some of those schools are possible, but challenging.

Let me know if there is further context around the GMAT worth knowing -- or feel free to sign up for a free consult (link in my signature) if easier to explain to us by phone.

Thanks!
Kate

msfan329 wrote:
Hi mbaMission,

-27 year old Asian American
-3+ years at Oil and Gas Major (think Exxon/Shell/Chevron) as Engineer (1 year Process Engineer), (2+ years Process Control Engineer)
-Held position as Social Chair in New Professionals Network within company to plan and coordinate sports and networking events for the company's young professionals
-Held position as Mentoring Group Leader facilitating mentoring sessions between senior leaders and members of different networks within company (New Professionals, Asian Network), planning events and developing topics that would be of mutual benefit to senior leader mentors and employees being mentored.

-3.9 GPA/ Chemical Engineering/ at top public university (think Virginia/Berkeley/Michigan)
-President of Christian organization (major growth in membership during and after my time)
-Vice President of Chemical Engineering Honor Society

-690 GMAT (Q47, V38, 5 AWA, 6 IR)

After 3+ years of working at Oil Major, decided to attend a 2 year christian post graduate seminary program training young professionals in leadership, character, church and community service. As part of the program, I was involved with a related nonprofit organization and led a team of 4 and 18 volunteers at local colleges supporting local club chapters and mentoring college students 1on1 for 10+ hours a week. I was also involved in kitchen operations that serve food for 400+ people each meal, supervising 15+ workers each shift to ensure timely and effective service. It's been a dream to attend this program and the leadership training and discipline I've received here in leading teams, character development, public speaking, and community service has made it worth it, while the progression in an Oil Major tends to be quite slow that is typical in that industry. I held 2 different positions in my 3+ years working but typically the rotations have a duration of 4 years, so it can take many years before more leadership positions and responsibility is given. With that being said, I recognize that it can be hard for admissions to understand this 2 year stint at a non profit, and I've considered going back to industry then applying for MBAs after a couple of years. Another Oil Major actually reached out with a position that would be considered a promotion, think a role that bridges technical and business functions and requires collaboration across organizations. I decided to not go through with it in hopes of attending business school sooner.

My goal is either to return to the Oil and Gas industry as a manager or energy consulting. Eventually I would also like to be in social entrepreneurship in the area of educating and mentoring high school and college students in underprivileged communities.

Looking at Harvard, Stanford, Chicago Booth, MIT Sloan, Wharton, Kellogg. What are my chances?

Appreciate your help!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Unique Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello....thanks for sharing this information in this forum site....it is very helpful for everyone
Moderator:
1455 posts