GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 10:14
Hello,

Please find the following information to help you evaluate my profile.
Nationality: Indian

Keen interest in Operation Management as my specialization for an MBA.

Schools I would like to apply are Columbia Business School, Haas, UCLA, Michigan Ross, NYU Stern, CMU Tepper.
I am a little concerned about my chances to get in because of my background in architecture (although I have decent exposure to Project Management and Leadership). I will be hoping that you would help and direct me so that I have a better understanding of my chances to get into the above-mentioned colleges and what you would consider as stretch schools for my profile.

1) A brief description of my full-time work experience:

I am an architect currently working in India. I will have accumulated 3 years of full-time experience in the same firm where I have managed multiple projects. My experience in the firm has helped me understand process involving the management of a project and I am inclined to understand the business part of processes involved.
I also have 1 year of Internship experience under my belt, but this year was purely the architecture part and very scarcely related to management.

2)GMAT 1: 640 - 70 Percentile (Q46 V31)
GMAT 2: 730 -96 Percentile (Q 50 V39)

3)College Info:

Bachelor of Architecture 2011-2016 (CGPA 7.1/10)
Manipal University.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience:

i. An active member of a non-profit run for educating children for the past 2.5 years. I help in organizing events for fundraising as well as recreational activities for children associated. I also take up pro-bono work for the non-profit in designing the schools.
ii. Undergraduate College Team Captain in Table tennis and represented the College.
iii. Represented the College Team in Cricket.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA:
No Certification of such sorts.
(However, I am a Certified Architect under the Council of Architecture, India.)

6) My post-MBA goal:
My desired post-MBA role would be to work for a construction company as an Operation Manager where I will help in building lean and cost-efficient construction models for the firm.

Thanks for your help,
Abhimanyu
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 20:09
Hi Abhimanyu,
I would be happy to review your profile. Admissions committees will look at your profile holistically, analyzing your stats, work experience and extracurriculars.

Stats – you have a great GMAT score of 730, and it is impressive you increased your score so much from your first test to your second test. The average score for your demographic is closer to 750 but you are not too far below, and the GMAT is only one part of the application.

Work experience – it is definitely okay that you have a background in architecture, and I see it as a way that you can differentiate yourself. No matter what your professional background is, you will have to demonstrate your accomplishments and the impact you made at work, through taking initiative and demonstrating you have progressed. A promotion is good, although any increase in responsibility and leadership looks favorable, as is coaching/training/mentoring others. One challenge will be convincing admissions committees why your 3 years of work experience compares to the average admitted student’s work experience which is generally 5 years. They will want to know why it makes sense for you to get your MBA now as opposed to gaining a few more years in the workplace.

Extracurriculars – it is great that you are an active member of that non-profit. It is important to show leadership in that role though. If you can show that you have taken initiative to make a difference there, the admissions committees will feel that you will also contribute positively to the school’s community.

The schools you listed are very competitive and turn away very qualified applicants every year simply because there is not enough space for all of them. Without knowing more about you, it is tough to gauge your chances. For example, what you have done at work, how you have interacted with others there, who you are as a person, what your life stories are, etc. are all important aspects in analyzing your chances at a specific school. In general, though, I like the idea of you applying to 2 reach schools, 2 target schools, and 2 safer schools.

Feel free to sign up for a 30-minute consultation with me or one of my colleagues so we can go into greater detail about your profile, review your resume, and talk further.
http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Michael Guttman
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap