Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request-4yr work-ex-760 gmat [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sourabhsur123 wrote:
Thanks a lot Jon for taking out time and giving such a helpful feedback. I have few questions here-

Hey there,
no problem dude,
Let's get to your answers one by one.

sourabhsur123 wrote:
1. First of all, by "applying to good spread of schools" did you mean that I should include few schools ranked below Tepper? I have planned to include UNC Kenan Flagler as well but as of now not looking to go for schools ranked below it. Will my schools of choice then be too risky?

Well, when I say Top 15, it's not a hard cutoff. As you know the rankings are flexible and debatable. But basically what I mean is that spread yourself out a bit and you will be fine. For example if you applied to both UNC and Tepper plus higher ranked schools, I'd call that a fair strategy for you as your profile is pretty strong.

sourabhsur123 wrote:
2. Secondly, I totally agree that I need to work a lot on structuring my story.In regards to post-mba goals, actually I have been interested in finance since my undergrad days , had taken a couple of courses in finance in my undergrad school as well and did well in them. My interest in it magnified once I got into preparing for CFA ,FRM and other certifications and reading various finance related materials and also my current project has given me a good experience of risk management , thus developing a strong penchant for corporate finance and risk management. My sole reason of deciding for an MBA is to facilitate a smooth transitioning of my career from a pure tech role to a Fin-tech role so that I can pursue my passion of working in the field of finance as well as continue my prior and strong experience in tech. My question is whether portraying my post-mba goal as mentioned back-fire and not go down well with the b-schools ,as I do not have any prior work-ex in finance.

I gotcha dude, but be careful here. Interest in finance is not equivalent to a good strategy. I'll tell you a secret. The large majority of folks who come to us for help start off with the idea of presenting goals of moving into finance. Until we advice them away form it. You know why everyone wants to move into finance? There's one reason: Money. The jobs are just very well paid. Not that I doubt your interest. But I mean you have to look at the things from the Adcoms perspective. You can either be yet another candidate who unrealistically wants to move to PE in competition against lots of big banking dudes with the right background skills and connection, who have proven careers... OR you can be a unique media manager who wants to move up in one of the world's biggest media/product conglomerates. Hmmmmmm. Choice is easy my friend..

Plus, once you get IN, do whatever you want, and do whatever works for you best. But your being interested in something, doesn't make it a good strategy necessarily.

sourabhsur123 wrote:

3. Lastly, I had aced in almost everything academically till my undergrad results. Partly because of health issues and partly because of being careless I scored below average in first 3 sems of my undergrad school , which led to my less than stellar gpa even after getting admitted to undergad school with a scholarship ( Although I had pulled up my socks and performed well in all of my remaining semesters with an upward trend in my gpa every sem). My point is I believe my gpa do not reflect my true potential and I plan to address this in the optional essays. So will it be advisable to do so or will it give a negative impression and attract undue attention to my gpa?

As your GPA is good, and not awful, I'd just let sleeping dogs lie, and work on the rest of my application.

sourabhsur123 wrote:
My apologies for bombarding you with so many questions, but will be really helpful if you could answer a few.

Thanks a lot once again.
Sourabh

No apologies necessary. Happy to help,

JF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a tonne Jon for answering my queries, this will certainly help in chalking out my plan for the applications. Just one last question. Can I tweak my post-mba goals according to the schools? I mean different schools specialize in different fields, so can my goals be school specific, as I think aligning my goals with the stream a particular school specializes in may strike a cord with the adcoms. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks again.
Sourabh
Admissionado
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sourabhsur123 wrote:
Thanks a tonne Jon for answering my queries, this will certainly help in chalking out my plan for the applications. Just one last question. Can I tweak my post-mba goals according to the schools? I mean different schools specialize in different fields, so can my goals be school specific, as I think aligning my goals with the stream a particular school specializes in may strike a cord with the adcoms. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks again.
Sourabh

Sourabh,
You could, but I'm not sure it will help. Any school is really willing to take people from any industry. Meaning, maybe 2% of candidates go into Media, but schools are very happy to have media candidates. More important is that the story fits for YOU. And I'd say to make things easy, just go with one story for all schools.

Good luck!
Jon
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a lot Jon for all the help and suggestions, really appreciate! :)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sourabhsur123 wrote:
Thanks a lot Jon for all the help and suggestions, really appreciate! :)

Whoopie!
Glad to help dude.
And thanks for the generosity with the Kudos.
Much appreciated.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts