It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Should I give up on the MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation: Should I give up on the MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 03:04
Would appreciate if you can provide feedback on my case.

28 yr old Filipino Male with green card

Full-time work experience:
- 2.5 years as an Investment Banking Analyst (government financial institution) focusing on infrastructure investments;
- 3.5 years as an Investment Banking Associate with Top Tier ASEAN Investment Bank(was promoted to Associate)
- Was supposed to be promoted to senior analyst in my first job but was poached by a multinational investment bank (top tier in South East Asia)
- Spearheaded the establishment of an analyst pool program which enables analysts to rotate on different investment banking products (saves the firm extra cost and increases efficiency of working teams)
- 6 years Investment banking experience in M&A, Equity, and Debt financing

740 GMAT

Undergrad info:
Top 3 Philippine University
Applied Economics; 2.167 GPA
Low GPA due to father being diagnosed with kidney failure, and heart attack; mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, stage 1 breast cancer

Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities:
Undergrad extra-curricular: University student government, economics organization
Post undergrad: Volunteer for Non profit organizations like Teach for the Philippines, Gawad Kalinga (reach out to poor communities and teach the under privileged)

Post-MBA goal:
Transition to Private Equity or Investment Banking in the US. Strong recommendation letters from high level executives (President & CEO, Managing Director, and Executive Director). President & CEO of the firm is an alumnus of Kellogg.

I know most of the schools I will be applying to will be a reach due to my GPA but below are my dream schools:
- Wharton
- Columbia
- Yale
- Booth
- Kellogg

Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation: Should I give up on the MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 03:48
You have got a high score on gmat.This will help you in your application. Go ahead with one year MBA.You should put up a strong performance at the interview.

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 0

BSchool Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 03:59
cg07 wrote:

Someone actually got into UVA with a 2.1 last year, so it isn't impossible. You have a strong gmat, good work experience and a solid reason for your gpa. I would be looking in the 10-15 range, which may be successful if you can send in a strong application. Quite a few major banks recruit in the top 15 range, so while it isn't quite m7 access, you should be able to get somewhere solid with a little hustle. I don't see many schools above that range taking a chance on a 2.1, there are just too many high quality candidates at m7s

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 05:20
Thanks so much for the prompt response. Will definitely look into the 10-15 range. But would you think I'd have a shot at schools like Yale, Columbia or NYU?

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 05:25
And another question, what do you think of taking the early decision route? You think this would boost my chances?

Thank you again for the help.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi, and thank you for writing! You have elements of a strong profile, with progressive work experience, a solid and balanced GMAT score, and good extracurricular involvement. I don't think that the GMAT will necessarily take you out of the running for these schools - however, definitely address the reasons for the GPA in your optional essay (the circumstances certainly are understandable) and state that you feel that your GMAT and work performance are more accurate indicators of your potential. Applying early decision could certainly help, as long as you can highlight in your applications why XX program is a good fit for you based on your research/interations with the community.

I hope that helps! Let me know of any other questions :)

cg07 wrote:
And another question, what do you think of taking the early decision route? You think this would boost my chances?

Thank you again for the help.

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 17:20
This post received
KUDOS
cg07 wrote:
Thanks so much for the prompt response. Will definitely look into the 10-15 range. But would you think I'd have a shot at schools like Yale, Columbia or NYU?

NYU perhaps, I don't think you'd make it into the others. Your gpa is probably going to put you dead in the water at either.

Per early decision, definitely a good idea, as long as you can send in a strong application by that time. You'll need all the help you can get, and ED can help in some schools.

Kudos [?]: 58 [1], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 19:12
Thank you for your advice. This is extremely helpful!

Profile Evaluation: Should I give up on the MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap