Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 09:04 It is currently 04 May 2024, 09:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 883
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Started my own co. How does it stand? [#permalink]
Thanks for your opinion shaarang. Points noted. I don't mind another attempt at the GMAT but I have used all of the resources. This was my second attempt. First was in Oct'18 and i scored a 600. ALso i plan to apply to R2, deadlines for most of which are in JAn. So a reattempt will be a bit too much in such a short span. In all the mock my average was around 680-700ish. So a 740 or above for me looks a tad too difficult - I am a very very average student, if I must say.
Coming to your points on schools, many more are on my list but these were my first preferences.\

I hope my story convinces the AdComs somehow. I know 650 isnt not a great score, but with a IT background venturing into both entrepreneurship and investing, I just hope the score at the very least is average enough to get me into one of the T-20s (most preferably - the one of my choice). Many have their 80% range from 620-700/40ish.

Too confused man :/

shaarang wrote:
Not an expert but commenting because I have a similar, yet not entirely same profile.

As a thumb rule, MBA programs don't really care about pre-undergad experience unless there are visible red flags. We have a similar undergrad, which translates to 3.1, not 3.5 (which is about the average range for schools you've mentioned.) So obviously, a below average undergrad is a weakness that needs to be offset by other factors. I've tried to offset it using a high (98th percentile) GMAT. Considering the schools you want to apply to, you may want to consider taking the GMAT again and target 740 and above. [Even regular Indian applicants are expected to have around 20 points higher than average white folks, so if you're looking to offset a poor undergrad then you need to target an elite score. Otherwise, things will get incredibly difficult for you.]

To your point -
I started a tech startup with $12000 and sold it in ~3 years and my entire application story is based around that. Brick & mortar businesses are okay too, and there's scope for a great story there, but you really need to think about your journey and motivations and articulate it in a way the adcom can understand.

As an aside, you may need to shore up your extra-curricular achievements. Donating money to NGOs (I don't think) doesn't count. Portfolio management can go here as it's not a job but more of hobby/post-work activity.

Overall, I think you need to take another swing at the GMAT and really put some deep thought into your applications. Even after that, the schools you have selected will be quite hard to get into. Consider readjusting your school selection. I don't know what criteria you have used to select your schools since there doesn't seem to be a common thread (I'm perplexed at how Booth didn't make it if you want to get into investing or why you're considering consulting schools such as Cornell or Duke over UT or UCLA if you wish to be an entrepreneur) but rethink your selection to include other T-20 schools; not just the M7.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Manish MG4MBACrystalBall for taking time out to review my profile. I agree the GMAT isn't great but with limited time left for R2, I'm left with no choice but to start the application process. With many schools (T-20s) haveing their 80% range in the 620-700/740ish zone, I just hope i somehow get through! :/

MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
A few thoughts on your profile ajtmatch:
  1. The professional aspects of your profile look interesting though a bit split. In both areas, you seem to have had reasonable success. Going forward though, you'll have to bring more clarity and focus. You'll have to showcase how post-MBA things will be different meaning, define what 'broader/deeper' means. You will also have to explain how/why the two businesses, any synergies and rationale etc. This is critical to get the right mileage out of your experience.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. That being said, the current overall academic arc, including the GMAT, can make things tough at the top league schools generally speaking. In general, the average GMAT for Indian candidates is way higher than a given school's average. You'll have to either come up with a compelling reason as to why there should be an exception in your case or think of a retake with a big jump.
  3. The ECs look decent; donations - maybe not so much purely from applications perspective. Read here as to why ECs matter.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 383 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - Started my own co. How does it stand? [#permalink]
ajtmatch wrote:
Thanks for your opinion shaarang. Points noted. I don't mind another attempt at the GMAT but I have used all of the resources. This was my second attempt. First was in Oct'18 and i scored a 600. ALso i plan to apply to R2, deadlines for most of which are in JAn. So a reattempt will be a bit too much in such a short span. In all the mock my average was around 680-700ish. So a 740 or above for me looks a tad too difficult - I am a very very average student, if I must say.
Coming to your points on schools, many more are on my list but these were my first preferences.\

I hope my story convinces the AdComs somehow. I know 650 isnt not a great score, but with a IT background venturing into both entrepreneurship and investing, I just hope the score at the very least is average enough to get me into one of the T-20s (most preferably - the one of my choice). Many have their 80% range from 620-700/40ish.

Too confused man :/

ajtmatch,

Don't sell yourself short - the GMAT isn't a test of knowledge, its a test of execution, and even "average" folks can score a 720+, so I recommend you give it another shot. I only say this because a moderator on this forum did a comparative study of the Indian members who got admits at T-20 schools and found that 90% of them had 760+ scores. While that is definitely skewed and the real average for Indians lies somewhere around 740, it still goes to show that expectations from Indians are higher when it comes to the GMAT.

Your experience is definitely unconventional and with a stellar GMAT, it can set you apart, but it's not entirely going to compensate for below average acads. I suggest you take another look at the schools' 80% GMAT range - it tends to be around 670-760. Sure there are outliers who get in with sub-650 score but they usually have a good reason for not having an elite score eg. Military, Airforce etc.

Your career goals seem split as Manish pointed out, you need to pick one: either investment or ed-tech. Both are great goals to have and will excite B-Schools but schools will expect you to have clarity before you apply. Unclear or unrealistic goals are a big reason for application rejections.

Overall, I think you shouldn't rush it. Wait a while, take the GMAT again, get some clarity and apply by R1 next year. If you're set on applying in R2, then I'll recommend looking at T-50. T-20 looks difficult with the GMAT and there's still a lot of work you have to put into your applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi ajtmatch,

The best news about your application is the fact that you have a very diverse background. And you've done well with what you have chosen to do.

Congrats on that.

Going forward - you need to pick a goal. Investment management is serious business, especially if you intend to manage other people's money. You cannot moonlight as an entrepreneur if you choose to do that - and entrepreneurship is a full-time career of its own, anyway. So figure out which interests you more, and stick to it.

There is bad news as well :) Your academic profile is quite weak.

Based on our experience, it won't be possible to get into any of the schools you mention with your current GMAT. You either need to open up your horizon to include schools in the top 50 - 70, or you need to increase your GMAT to about 740 or so.

If you wish to chat further, please register for a counselling call using the link below.

Best wishes,
Karthik

ajtmatch wrote:
Profile Eval MBA 2019 - India, male

Hello!

I would greatly appreciate an evaluation of my profile for Columbia, Duke, Yale, Tuck, Cornell, Ross, Wharton and NYU?

Academics:
-I'm a 26 year old male from India.
-10th grade - 87%
-12th grade - 86%
-Computer Engineering degree from a State University 64% (we don't have a GPA system, but it comes to 3.4-3.5)
-GMAT - 650/73% (V: 34 | Q: 47 | AWA: 5 | IR: 3)

Work Experience:

- Started my own FEC (Family entertainment center) at age 22 (while still in college) at an investment of approx INR 60L (around USD 85,000). Been 4 years into it and the business does an average revenue of USD 70,000-100,000 per outlet, annually. Managed everything from negotiating the rental space to bagging the pan-asia distributorship for the gaming equipment as well. The company for whom I am a distributor is based in Michigan, USA. Currently managing everything from operations to marketing.
- Scaled it to two retail outlets but had to shut one down in 2 years as we had to make way for a big MNC at the rental premise in the mall. Currently one is operational in one of the top 5 malls of India.
- Also manage family's investments in equity markets. The portfolio size is around USD 150,000-200,000. Have managed to fetch a return of around 6-7% on the corpus size on an average in the past 2 years since I have started managing it. Prior to managing this, worked for around 15 months at a well known investor's firm (with net worth of more than USD 60 million), along with managing and operating the FEC mentioned above.
- Recommends equity investments to few clients. Started this since the last year.

Personal:

-Take basis elementary primary lessons for children at no charge (on Sunday's for 3 hours).
- Family, including me, have been involved in supporting (via donations) few local NGOs.

Post-Mba plans:
-Continue in the equity investment domain but develop a broader, deeper understanding of the same.
- Also would like to continue operating and expanding retail outlets (FEC, entertainment) in India where there is a dearth of such activities and the consumption is on a rise
-Want to make learning fun and exciting via fun-interactive entertainment options (Like KidZania does)

TIA.
Director
Director
Send PM
ajtmatch wrote:
Thanks Manish MG4MBACrystalBall for taking time out to review my profile. I agree the GMAT isn't great but with limited time left for R2, I'm left with no choice but to start the application process. With many schools (T-20s) haveing their 80% range in the 620-700/740ish zone, I just hope i somehow get through! :/

I understand ajtmatch. However, if you are really keen to apply this year, maybe consider the option of retaking while you work on the applications. Possible?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Perhaps I have to - left with no other option. Will retake the GMAT. Wont compromise on schools - if R2 is still open, will try or else will try for R1 next year. But if it’s MBA, T-20 it is.

MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
ajtmatch wrote:

I understand ajtmatch. However, if you are really keen to apply this year, maybe consider the option of retaking while you work on the applications. Possible?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Karthik,

Thanks much for the review. After speaking to many people, I guess my best bet is to retake the GMAT and get the 720 at the very least. Damn - who would have thought having an Indian IT degree would be such a curse

AugustAcademy wrote:
Hi ajtmatch,

The best news about your application is the fact that you have a very diverse background. And you've done well with what you have chosen to do.

Congrats on that.

Going forward - you need to pick a goal. Investment management is serious business, especially if you intend to manage other people's money. You cannot moonlight as an entrepreneur if you choose to do that - and entrepreneurship is a full-time career of its own, anyway. So figure out which interests you more, and stick to it.

There is bad news as well :) Your academic profile is quite weak.

Based on our experience, it won't be possible to get into any of the schools you mention with your current GMAT. You either need to open up your horizon to include schools in the top 50 - 70, or you need to increase your GMAT to about 740 or so.

If you wish to chat further, please register for a counselling call using the link below.

Best wishes,
Karthik

ajtmatch wrote:
Profile Eval MBA 2019 - India, male

Hello!

I would greatly appreciate an evaluation of my profile for Columbia, Duke, Yale, Tuck, Cornell, Ross, Wharton and NYU?

Academics:
-I'm a 26 year old male from India.
-10th grade - 87%
-12th grade - 86%
-Computer Engineering degree from a State University 64% (we don't have a GPA system, but it comes to 3.4-3.5)
-GMAT - 650/73% (V: 34 | Q: 47 | AWA: 5 | IR: 3)

Work Experience:

- Started my own FEC (Family entertainment center) at age 22 (while still in college) at an investment of approx INR 60L (around USD 85,000). Been 4 years into it and the business does an average revenue of USD 70,000-100,000 per outlet, annually. Managed everything from negotiating the rental space to bagging the pan-asia distributorship for the gaming equipment as well. The company for whom I am a distributor is based in Michigan, USA. Currently managing everything from operations to marketing.
- Scaled it to two retail outlets but had to shut one down in 2 years as we had to make way for a big MNC at the rental premise in the mall. Currently one is operational in one of the top 5 malls of India.
- Also manage family's investments in equity markets. The portfolio size is around USD 150,000-200,000. Have managed to fetch a return of around 6-7% on the corpus size on an average in the past 2 years since I have started managing it. Prior to managing this, worked for around 15 months at a well known investor's firm (with net worth of more than USD 60 million), along with managing and operating the FEC mentioned above.
- Recommends equity investments to few clients. Started this since the last year.

Personal:

-Take basis elementary primary lessons for children at no charge (on Sunday's for 3 hours).
- Family, including me, have been involved in supporting (via donations) few local NGOs.

Post-Mba plans:
-Continue in the equity investment domain but develop a broader, deeper understanding of the same.
- Also would like to continue operating and expanding retail outlets (FEC, entertainment) in India where there is a dearth of such activities and the consumption is on a rise
-Want to make learning fun and exciting via fun-interactive entertainment options (Like KidZania does)

TIA.

Director
Director
Send PM
ajtmatch wrote:
Perhaps I have to - left with no other option. Will retake the GMAT. Wont compromise on schools - if R2 is still open, will try or else will try for R1 next year. But if it’s MBA, T-20 it is.

Ideal plan indeed buddy. All the best!
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
[quote="ajtmatch"]Hi Karthik,

Thanks much for the review. After speaking to many people, I guess my best bet is to retake the GMAT and get the 720 at the very least. Damn - who would have thought having an Indian IT degree would be such a curse

Hi AJ!

Thanks for posting, and I really enjoyed reading about your background a bit.

As others have stated, the GMAT score is going to be too low for your list of schools. Having worked with many applicants from India, a score of 720+ is necessary to be competitive at the t15-t20. That being said, if you can bring your score up closer to 700 and are able to effectively tell your story (I would say stick with entreprenurship/entertainment, as it is much less common and you can segway an your goals into either tech or retail), I really do think you could be competitive at some of the 10-20 schools.

Managing money is always a slippery slope, especially if you are doing it on the side without firm benchmarks. I wouldn't necessarily craft an application around working in equity research since you don't have any "professional" experience on the buy-side. But you can certainly include it in your application and speak to your desire to improve your fundamental analysis and valuation skills while at school.

Please let us know how we can help or if there is anything else you would like to discuss! I think you have a lot of potential to draft a very compelling application.

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach

www.personalmbacoach.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the review. Yes, I am retaking the GMAT and will try getting that 720 score. Hopefully, post that, the journey to B-school should be relatively smooth sailing :)

PersonalMBACoach wrote:
ajtmatch wrote:
Hi Karthik,

Hi AJ!

Thanks for posting, and I really enjoyed reading about your background a bit.

As others have stated, the GMAT score is going to be too low for your list of schools. Having worked with many applicants from India, a score of 720+ is necessary to be competitive at the t15-t20. That being said, if you can bring your score up closer to 700 and are able to effectively tell your story (I would say stick with entreprenurship/entertainment, as it is much less common and you can segway an your goals into either tech or retail), I really do think you could be competitive at some of the 10-20 schools.

Managing money is always a slippery slope, especially if you are doing it on the side without firm benchmarks. I wouldn't necessarily craft an application around working in equity research since you don't have any "professional" experience on the buy-side. But you can certainly include it in your application and speak to your desire to improve your fundamental analysis and valuation skills while at school.

Please let us know how we can help or if there is anything else you would like to discuss! I think you have a lot of potential to draft a very compelling application.

Regards,
Personal MBA Coach

https://www.personalmbacoach.com
GMAT Club Bot