Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.15
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Stratus Admissions Counseling
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Kelley School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47 (Online)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GPA: 3.15
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Profile Review [#permalink]
StratusSoterios wrote:
uditgopalka wrote:
Demographic: Indian, Male

Education: B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering with a CGPA of 7.88 from Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneswar
GMAT: OA 640, Q48 V29, AWA 5
Work Experience: Business Analyst with Accenture, with a total experience of 4.2 years.
Recognized with 'Star of the Month' award twice.
Awarded with 'Employee of the Quarter'.
Gained international exposure during my experience at Accenture as I am involved in interacting with Stakeholders, who
are spread across globe.

Extra Curricular: Worked as a volunteer with NSS for 2 years.
Published a technical paper in an International Symposium.
Member of organizing committee for my college fest/event.
Held the post as one of the chair members of the college society for two years.

Post-MBA goals: Work in a consulting domain with organizations like BCG, Booz Allen, etc.

Target schools: Smeal college of business, Kelley School of Business.

Can you please evaluate my profile and provide me with the colleges I can apply to.

Hi uditgopalka - thank you for reaching out! You have some real strengths in your profile, including your work and recognition at a well-known firm like Accenture, your global experience, and what seems like some good extracurriculars (though it would be even better if you can demonstrate leadership experience in your ECs and if any of them are still happening).

As you probably realize, your biggest weakness based on what you've shared is your GMAT score. Do you think you could score higher in your GMAT if you took the test again? You did great with your quant score, so even a few points higher in verbal would have a big effect on your overall score. If so, it would open up many higher-ranked MBA programs for you.

At your current scores, I do think Smeal and Kelley are possibilities for you. As you probably know, your GMAT score is about Smeal's average and is below Kelley's average, making that one tougher for you. I would also explore GW's Global MBA. Would you consider programs outside of the US?

I hope this is helpful - best of luck to you!

Thank you for your wonderful insights on my profile.
Yes, I am open to universities outside US. Though US remains my first preference, I am open to Canada as well, hence, I am considering University of Toronto's Rotman School as a option.
I may not be able to take a second attempt due to my work schedule. In my Extra curricular activities, what kind of leadership experience would be beneficial?
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
uditgopalka wrote:
StratusSoterios wrote:
uditgopalka wrote:
Demographic: Indian, Male

Education: B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering with a CGPA of 7.88 from Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, Bhubaneswar
GMAT: OA 640, Q48 V29, AWA 5
Work Experience: Business Analyst with Accenture, with a total experience of 4.2 years.
Recognized with 'Star of the Month' award twice.
Awarded with 'Employee of the Quarter'.
Gained international exposure during my experience at Accenture as I am involved in interacting with Stakeholders, who
are spread across globe.

Extra Curricular: Worked as a volunteer with NSS for 2 years.
Published a technical paper in an International Symposium.
Member of organizing committee for my college fest/event.
Held the post as one of the chair members of the college society for two years.

Post-MBA goals: Work in a consulting domain with organizations like BCG, Booz Allen, etc.

Target schools: Smeal college of business, Kelley School of Business.

Can you please evaluate my profile and provide me with the colleges I can apply to.

Hi uditgopalka - thank you for reaching out! You have some real strengths in your profile, including your work and recognition at a well-known firm like Accenture, your global experience, and what seems like some good extracurriculars (though it would be even better if you can demonstrate leadership experience in your ECs and if any of them are still happening).

As you probably realize, your biggest weakness based on what you've shared is your GMAT score. Do you think you could score higher in your GMAT if you took the test again? You did great with your quant score, so even a few points higher in verbal would have a big effect on your overall score. If so, it would open up many higher-ranked MBA programs for you.

At your current scores, I do think Smeal and Kelley are possibilities for you. As you probably know, your GMAT score is about Smeal's average and is below Kelley's average, making that one tougher for you. I would also explore GW's Global MBA. Would you consider programs outside of the US?

I hope this is helpful - best of luck to you!

Thank you for your wonderful insights on my profile.
Yes, I am open to universities outside US. Though US remains my first preference, I am open to Canada as well, hence, I am considering University of Toronto's Rotman School as a option.
I may not be able to take a second attempt due to my work schedule. In my Extra curricular activities, what kind of leadership experience would be beneficial?

Hi uditgopalka - You are very welcome. Apologies for my delayed response - I only noticed your follow-up question today. Depending on how long you have before applying, there are many ways to demonstrate leadership experience via your extracurriculars. If you are short on time, could you find a non-profit or community event to help organize or lead? If you have more time before applying, could you volunteer to head a committee or even join the Board of a community organization? This blog post from earlier this year as some additional ideas:

Build Your MBA Leadership Profile Through Community Involvement

I hope this helps - and again, best of luck to you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Raven78 wrote:
Hi Experts,
Please evaluate my profile and suggest some B-Schools I can target.

Demographics: Indian, Female, 23

Education:
Undergraduate GPA - 6.87/10 ( Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering) from Tier-2 University
12th - 97.4%
10th - 9.8/10 CGPA
GMAT: 760 (Q49/V47)

Work experience: Total of 17 months as of now
1) Systems Engineer at an MNC (10 months)
2) Project Manager at a Startup (7 months)

I started as a Systems Engineer at an MNC. The work was monotonous.
So, I started looking for a role where I can have a hands-on pre-MBA-related experience.

I had three months of a gap during the shift. During which I collaborated with the local weavers and started an online platform to sell handmade clothing materials made by them.

Later on, I joined a Startup that works on Computer Vision Technology, where I was the first employee to start working with the founders. Being here, I got a chance to take part in every activity and decision-making. For instance, hiring the team, building customized projects for potential clients, marketing, and managing the team members. Now we're a team of 21 members, and my role includes Project Management and Team Building.

Extracurricular activities:
1) Team Lead for a club named Corporate-Relations for college Tech-fest, where we organized specific events every year.
2) Member of National Social Service at College.
3) Member of Maths Club at College
4) Participated in Start-up weekend, organized by Entrepreneurship Development Cell at college.
5) Working with a team named "Helping Hands", based out of my home town to provide covid related assistance to the needy people in our surroundings.
6) Initiated an online platform to sell handmade clothing materials, made by the local weavers around my hometown.
7) Initiated a Covid-Helpline to assist the patients and connect them directly with donors/ medical suppliers.

Post-MBA goals: Looking to work in Marketing and Business Development related roles.

Is my profile good enough to be considered for the top 30 B-Schools?
I understand that I have comparatively lesser work experience. Could you suggest Dream, Target, and Achievable schools, despite having this backlog?
Please suggest how else I can work on to improve my profile.

Hi Raven78 -- Thank you for reaching out. I'm happy to provide some thoughts.

First off, your GMAT is great, and it seems like you have some really great extracurricular experience, including current activity and leadership/entrepreneurial experience, which will really help you.

What pops out to me (and you also acknowledge) is your short work experience. Would you consider waiting a year or more before applying to business schools? Top 30 schools like to see three to five years of work experience, and I'm concerned that your shorter experience may be hard to overcome, especially given it is broken up into several different jobs, and also given what seems like a bit lower than ideal GPA from not a top school. A big part of the experience at these schools is learning from classmates based on their various work experiences, so schools want to make sure you have had enough experience to substantially contribute.

If you do decide to wait, continue your extracurricular involvement so you can continue to show leadership and impact there. Also work on better defining your long-term goals, and researching which schools are the best fits for you, based on what you want to do (both so you can narrow your list, and so you can explain in your applications why each school is such a great fit for you).

Best of luck to you!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Profile Review [#permalink]
Demo: 27, Indian, Male

Education: 6.81 (B.tech in petroleum engineering)

Work ex: Total 4 years in a Gas distribution company.
1. Executive engineer 2 years.
2. Assitant manager 2 years

I was placed right after my BTech, through my college.
I am currently handling operations of 1 of 15 districts in which my company operates. I am a team lead managing a team of 4 company employees and 17 contract employees. I was awarded several times during my tenure. I was promoted to an area in charge because of my excellent performance and my dedication.

Extracurricular:
Most of my extracurriculars are during my time in college.
1. I was the captain of the tug and war team of my college.
2. Sponsorship manager for my college cultural fest for two consecutive year.

My main reason to do MBA is to change my current industry. I am inclined towards tech.

My target schools are Duke, cornell, mccombs and ISB.

Post mba goal is to be a PM.

Can you PLEASE EVALUATE MY PROFILE and provide my with valuable feedback?

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Abhimanyu9428,

Looks like you have some great work experience. I've provided guidance below in-line in blue - hope this is helpful!

Abhimanyu9428 wrote:
Demo: 27, Indian, Male

Education: 6.81 (B.tech in petroleum engineering) - Was this first division/class? Looks like a strong CGPA but unsure where you fell in relation to the rest of your class. Also, have you taken the GMAT or GRE? That is an important datapoint to demonstrate your academic aptitude. Depending on whether you graduated first division/class and where your test scores fall, you could either be in a strong position or you may need to do some work to strengthen the academic aspects of your profile. Given the two questions I posed, it's unclear at this point.

Work ex: Total 4 years in a Gas distribution company. - Fantastic to see a promotion. Make sure your resume demonstrates the strength here, your accomplishments, skills, the business impact and acceleration relative to peers. To showcase your professional strength, review the blog post, How to Create the Best Possible Resume for Your MBA Application.
1. Executive engineer 2 years.
2. Assitant manager 2 years

I was placed right after my BTech, through my college.
I am currently handling operations of 1 of 15 districts in which my company operates. I am a team lead managing a team of 4 company employees and 17 contract employees. I was awarded several times during my tenure. I was promoted to an area in charge because of my excellent performance and my dedication.

Extracurricular: Extracurriculars demonstrate your depth, and any leadership, cross-cultural communication, community commitment or passion should be highlighted. Review the blog post I noted above regarding resume building - this will help you add your college extracurriculars under your college experience
Most of my extracurriculars are during my time in college.
1. I was the captain of the tug and war team of my college. - was this a 1-time event, or an ongoing team? Since this is a less traditional sport, if it was an ongoing team you may need to elaborate on what the season/tournaments/accomplishments entailed.
2. Sponsorship manager for my college cultural fest for two consecutive year.

My main reason to do MBA is to change my current industry. I am inclined towards tech. - Most people pursuing a full time MBA are looking for a change, so you're looking at the right place. Articulating what that change is in more detail is important. Consider what your short, mid and long-term goals are. Beyond PM, is there an industry, geography, target company, challenge you want to address, etc? Also important to answer the question, 'Why an MBA?', identify the skills you'll need to gain to make the transition possible and achieve your career goals.

My target schools are Duke, cornell, mccombs and ISB.

Post mba goal is to be a PM.

Can you PLEASE EVALUATE MY PROFILE and provide my with valuable feedback? Hope this guidance is helpful - feel free to review our Blog and set up a Consultation if you want to discuss anything in more depth.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot