Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Re: Profiles - Admitted to Top B-Schools w/ Low GMAT or Low GPA [#permalink]
Kudos
Definitely a great thread. I don't dispute the point made earlier that being an URM doesn't play a role in admitting individuals from the lower end of a school's 80% GMAT/GPA range. But I think the diversity at the lower end of this range is not just limited to ethnicity or gender but also career background, career goals, and life stories, etc.

I spent most of my life until now refusing to "check the box" because I would rather know that I got somewhere in my life because I was great at what I do not because of my heritage. I was OK with my grades, OK with my test scores my entire life but always was the leader of everything I did and received several awards all through HS and Undergrad.

I only check the box now because I had a conversation with an AdCom member from a top 10 B-school who articulated to me that they don't see the URM status as being more lenient but they want and need a diverse program. Whether I check the box or not, they're going to maintain a diverse program either way and I may fit into one of the other "boxes" that they're looking for (career background, career goals, and life stories, etc.) given my solid marketing/advertising background and desire to go into a non-traditional career in Media and Entertainment. The big thing I might be passing on by not checking the URM box is scholarship money. Which, given the prospect of paying for everything myself with no help, is a BIG reason for me to check the box.

I apologize for the long commentary but I say all of this to say, the numbers don't say everything and because I can check that box does not mean it's the only reason why they're going to admit me. I still need to be able to succeed in B-school and even more importantly, I need to get a job and be an advocate for the school when I'm done and give them lots of money :-) . If I wanted to go into I-Banking or Consulting at a top firm with my GMAT, they would probably laugh at me because the odds of me getting a job with my GMAT is slim to none.

My profile and link below have my full background.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Columbia (all round 2)
WE 1: Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="JoeKaneForHeisman"]How did you initiate this conversation and what is your standard explanation? Looks like you and I are in similar situations.

Thanks![/quote]

I was on campus and made an appointment to discuss my application.

As for the explanation, is pretty simple...I took the GMAT a bunch of times and was not able to crack it. Everyone has weaknesses and GMAT math happens to be one of mine. With that said, I have a pretty quant heavy job, such as projects x, y, z and am confident I can meet the quant rigors of the program...but if there is any additional classes/tests that the admin committee would like me to take, I am happy to do so.

So what is your situation?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Sustainable Enterprise & Operations
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q48  V32 GMAT 2: 710  Q49  V38
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Send PM
Kudos
I just got admitted to Ross with an UG GPA of 3.01, an academic probation and a couple of F's on my transcript. Not your typically strong UG candidate. My GMAT was a 710 so that helped me prove my academic ability.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [2]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Kudos
GoBruins wrote:
ARIEL, You're NEXT to POST!!

Sorry guys, been MIA lately. Just came back to civilization from Vermont. Ok, here's my story: 1.9 GPA here (yeap you got that right) and just got into Ross, waiting to hear from UNC and Cornell next week and INSEAD in May. Will report back when I do. Already interviewed at UNC and expecting good news there. Cornell is a big wild card at this point.

What I think made a difference in my case:

- I went to a well-known and rigorous program in Canada (GPAs from non-US schools have no bearing on their GPA averages and therefore rankings - so if you're in a similar situation, you just have to prove to them that you can handle the course work and are interesting enough to contribute meaningfully to the community. If you went to school in the US, there's still plenty of things you can do to strengthen your candidacy)

- I took quant and accounting courses at well-known universities last summer and got A-s in all of them

- I have a very fast career progression and my job is such that it leaves little doubt about my quantitative abilities

- I have good reasons for my sub-par performance in UG and explained those in the optional essay. That story also meshed well with the rest of my application and the qualities that came through in all the stories in the rest of my essays

- I was able to present a coherent application and build a brand, which jived with everything they saw on paper: course work, career progression, international experience, etc. I cannot emphasize this enough - imagine you're trying to introduce yourself to somebody and they don't know anything about you besides a few data points that can be construed in various ways. Come up with 3-4 strengths that you believe define you (ideally those will be aligned with the school's philosophy and you have some tangible experience to lend cred). In ALL your essays, make sure you pick stories that send that consistent message. At the same time, take care to present yourself as a versatile individual through varied experiences (which again, show that you possess those qualities you're trying to communicate to them, albeit in different environments)

- my interview went really well

- demographics - sadly, I believe this played a major role. I'm a Caucasian female, originally from Eastern Europe, have lived in different counties and have varied experiences. I possess a fairly unique work experience and post-MBA goals (yes IB post-grad is not the most popular choice among women). So I think all that contributed a lot as well.

I remember starting a thread on this very same topic a while back before I even started working on apps and I've come a long way since. It hasn't been easy but I, among others, am proof that a low GPA can absolutely be overcome. Just hit me up on PM if there's anything I can do to help anyone who is in the same situation as I was. I'll be happy to share what I have learned and hope that my experience can be of help to someone. Best of luck! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Didn't want to jump the gun until I heard back from a few schools, but despite my low GMAT (mid-600's), I received admissions to Booth and Kellogg.

Moral of the story: don't lose hope even with the low GMAT or GPA. Blow them out of the water with your story and other accomplishments. Hope this helps motivate others to keep fighting for that admission spot. Best of luck all!

Originally posted by nlt22 on 15 Mar 2010, 10:26.
Last edited by nlt22 on 22 Mar 2010, 08:10, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [2]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
This topic simply inspires me .I hope I can post here one day :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
Good GMAT score is good to have. But that is not all. So, with a moderate GMAT score you can still make into a top B SChool. If you are not interested to give another shot at GMAT or if you dont see yourself with a much improved GMAT score in the near future, it's better to focus on criteria than spending more time on GMAT :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Had a gmat score of 490 last year after taking it twice! I applied to wharton anyways and got invited to an interview.. Don't worry.. I did not get accepted. But the fact that I got the interview says something! I am convince that a score over 550 is enough if your background is unique and interesting! We shall see ;)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Profiles - Admitted to Top B-Schools with Low GMAT Score [#permalink]
Kudos
Great idea, it seems that only 700+ are getting into top schools. Wondering if anyone is gonna post something here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I hope to be one of the success stories with a 660..... but I don't think it's going to happen :x

After browsing this board and looking at some friends, I'm pretty sure I overestimated my chances. Guess I'll be taking the gmat again for the 7th time and applying next year. That is, if I can manage to stay employed. Oh boy. Credit crunchtastic!

Good luck to you guys!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
I know someone who's WL at Booth it that helps... probably reading this right now!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
 Q50  V30
Send PM
Kudos
GMAT: 670 (Q:50, V:30, AWA:4)
University attended: ENSAM (French top leading engineering school)
Major(s): Mechanical engineering
GPA / Honours:N/A
Nationality: French / Congo
Work Experience: 6 / Consulting / Associate
Extra-curricular Activities: Many
Community Services: Many

Business Schools (Admitted): Columbia in the ED
Business Schools (Applied but Dinged):

Hope this gives hope :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Given Kudos: 3