It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 15:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2012, 14:14
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:28) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 16 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously. However much society may have changed over the centuries, human psychology is still driven primarily by personal interaction. Thus, the important social function of positively reinforcing those behaviors that have beneficial consequences for others can be served only if the benefactor knows the source of the gratitude.

Please let me find the conclusion here.
Will post the full question with answers for sure.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2011
Posts: 8
Re: PowerScore Problem-->Psychologist: The obligation to express [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2012, 20:18
The conclusion is summed up in: "Thus, the important social function of positively reinforcing those behaviors that have beneficial consequences for others can be served only if the benefactor knows the source of the gratitude".

I think the conclusion is that gratitude should be expressed in person so that the receiver of gratitude knows where it is coming from.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 268
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge
Re: PowerScore Problem-->Psychologist: The obligation to express [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2012, 20:44
Thus, the important social function of positively reinforcing those behaviors that have beneficial consequences for others can be served only if the benefactor knows the source of the gratitude.


Look for keywords => thus, hence, etc which indicate the conclusion of the argument
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: PowerScore Problem-->Psychologist: The obligation to express [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2012, 02:31
manav10572 wrote:
The conclusion is summed up in: "Thus, the important social function of positively reinforcing those behaviors that have beneficial consequences for others can be served only if the benefactor knows the source of the gratitude".

I think the conclusion is that gratitude should be expressed in person so that the receiver of gratitude knows where it is coming from.

@ manav10572
How did you say that is the conclusion? I mean how did you arrive at it.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: PowerScore Problem-->Psychologist: The obligation to express [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2012, 02:32
boomtangboy wrote:
Thus, the important social function of positively reinforcing those behaviors that have beneficial consequences for others can be served only if the benefactor knows the source of the gratitude.


Look for keywords => thus, hence, etc which indicate the conclusion of the argument
This is not conclusion as per OE I have. Can I know how do you normally find conclusion in an argument like this>
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 149
Location: India
Re: PowerScore Problem-->Psychologist: The obligation to express [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2012, 09:08
The conclusion is the assertion made by the psychologist. ie "The obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously". The last line is a premise that explains how the psychologist reached this conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 274
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Re: PowerScore Problem-->Psychologist: The obligation to express [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2012, 19:38
"The obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously" is the conclusion.The the other part is the premise.Premise is the information which aids in arriving at the conclusion .

Please post the full question .!!
_________________

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: PowerScore Problem-->Psychologist: The obligation to express [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 03:39
saikarthikreddy wrote:
"The obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously" is the conclusion.The the other part is the premise.Premise is the information which aids in arriving at the conclusion .
Please post the full question .!!
Here is the Question On Demand :P

Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously. However much society may have changed over the centuries, human psychology is still driven primarily by personal interaction. Thus, the important social function of positively reinforcing those behaviors that have beneficial consequences for others can be served only if the benefactor knows the source of the gratitude.
Which one of the following most accurately describes the role played in the psychologist’s argument by the claim that the obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously?
(A) It is an illustration of a premise that is used to support the argument’s conclusion.
(B) It is used to counter a consideration that might be taken to undermine the argument’s conclusion.
(C) It is used to support indirectly a claim that the argument in turn uses to support directly the conclusion.
(D) It is used to identify the social benefit with which the argument is concerned.
(E) It is the conclusion that the argument is intended to support.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 268
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge
Re: PowerScore Problem-->Psychologist: The obligation to express [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2012, 03:47
joshnsit wrote:
boomtangboy wrote:
Thus, the important social function of positively reinforcing those behaviors that have beneficial consequences for others can be served only if the benefactor knows the source of the gratitude.


Look for keywords => thus, hence, etc which indicate the conclusion of the argument
This is not conclusion as per OE I have. Can I know how do you normally find conclusion in an argument like this>


Hi,

I usually use keywords to find the conclusion once I have read through the question. On the exam day it can be come very time consuming if you try to wade through tons of garbage that is not necessary for the question.

Strategies for CR & RC can be found in the GMAT CLUB Flash cards / Kaplan Verbal Workbook

Word of caution -> you have to be careful in what you choose & have a sharp eye for details
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2008
Posts: 413
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Re: PowerScore Problem-->Psychologist: The obligation to express [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2012, 00:07
joshnsit wrote:
saikarthikreddy wrote:
"The obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously" is the conclusion.The the other part is the premise.Premise is the information which aids in arriving at the conclusion .
Please post the full question .!!
Here is the Question On Demand :P

Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously. However much society may have changed over the centuries, human psychology is still driven primarily by personal interaction. Thus, the important social function of positively reinforcing those behaviors that have beneficial consequences for others can be served only if the benefactor knows the source of the gratitude.
Which one of the following most accurately describes the role played in the psychologist’s argument by the claim that the obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously?
(A) It is an illustration of a premise that is used to support the argument’s conclusion.
(B) It is used to counter a consideration that might be taken to undermine the argument’s conclusion.
(C) It is used to support indirectly a claim that the argument in turn uses to support directly the conclusion.
(D) It is used to identify the social benefit with which the argument is concerned.
(E) It is the conclusion that the argument is intended to support.
OA is E. Thanks for discussion.
_________________

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 99
Re: Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2014, 06:06
Above question is an Method AP question. Below explanation will clear some of confusion -

Method-AP questions often feature two conclusions—a main conclusion and
subsidiary conclusion—where the main conclusion is typically placed in the
first or second sentence, and the last sentence contains the subsidiary
conclusion. In addition, the subsidiary conclusion is often preceded by a
conclusion indicator such as “thus” or “therefore” while the main conclusion is
not prefaced by an indicator. This is an intentional stimulus formation designed
to trick many students into erroneously believing that the last sentence contains
the main point
_________________

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 99
Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2014, 06:11
By the way, I couldn't figure out by myself that first sentence is conclusion.

To me first sentence and last sentence looks being at same level.
First is a bit more abstract, and this doesn't imply that first is the main conclusion.

I am still awaiting that any verbal expert shed light on this.
_________________

Best
MKS
Appreciate it with Kudos !! :)

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 682
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 08:25
The psychologist’s argument is structured as follows:

Premise: However much society may have changed over the centuries, human psychology is still driven primarily by personal interaction.

Sub-conclusion / Premise:
Thus, the important social function of positively reinforcing those behaviors [of expressing gratitude] that have beneficial consequences for others can be
served only if the benefactor knows the source of the gratitude.

Main conclusion: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be fulfilled anonymously. Often, the identifiers used before the subsidiary conclusions are dramatic and somewhat misleading, such as “clearly” and “obviously.” In these cases, the conclusion is neither clear nor obvious, and those words are used to lead the reader into thinking that the conclusion should simply be accepted without further analysis. The statement referenced in the question stem is the main conclusion of the argument, and as the answer choice correctly describes, the conclusion that the argument is designed to support.
The argument, when considered in terms of order, is “out of order”:

First sentence = main conclusion, Second sentence = basic premise, Third sentence = sub-conclusion. The last sentence is a sub-conclusion, and in a Method-AP answer choice the author can describe a sub-conclusion in a variety of ways: subsidiary conclusion / secondary conclusion / intermediate conclusion / supporting conclusion. Note that as predicted, the main conclusion is not modified by a conclusion indicator but the sub-conclusion is.

Answer choice (A): The statement in question is not an example of an idea raised in a premise.
Answer choice (B): The answer choice describes a premise that is used to defend the argument from attack. This would better describe the second sentence of the argument.
Answer choice (C): This answer choice describes a premise supporting a sub-conclusion. Again, this would better describe the second sentence of the argument.
Answer choice (D): This answer choice better describes the last sentence.
Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer. By consistently breaking down the structure of the argument before reading the answer choices, these problems become very easy to solve.
_________________

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Re: Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2017, 08:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Psychologist: The obligation to express gratitude cannot be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.