It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 21:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18041 [0], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 14:13
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (00:41) correct 45% (00:51) wrong based on 355 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 131: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18041 [0], given: 1990

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2033 [0], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 14:14
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This one is a cruel classic that forces you to think really, really carefully about the connection between verb tenses and the intended meaning of the sentence. We covered this one at the end of our webinar on GMAT verb tenses, so head over there if you prefer your explanations in video form.

Quote:
(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump

(A) is awfully tempting. The agreement happened in the past (1972), so it’s reasonable enough to use “reduced” here.

But what about the use of past perfect tense (“had been allowed to dump”)? Whenever you see the past perfect tense, it has to describe an action that is completed in the past, but BEFORE some other “time marker” in the past – usually another action in simple past tense. And we do have another action in simple past here: “reduced the amount of phosphates.” Superficially, this looks good.

But those verb tenses don’t actually make sense! Literally, (A) is saying that the 1972 agreement “reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump” – meaning that the 1972 agreement changed the amount that municipalities had been allowed to dump BEFORE the agreement went into place. And that makes no sense: how could a 1972 agreement reach even further into the past to change municipalities' behavior?

It’s subtle. And cruel and difficult. And if you wanted to be conservative on your first pass through the answer choices, you certainly could hang onto (A). But as you’ll see in a moment, we definitely have a better option.

Quote:

(B) is an even worse version of (A). How can the 1972 agreement reach back into the even-more-distant past to change the amount that “municipalities had been dumping”? Plus, there’s no good reason to use the progressive tense here, and the phrase “phosphate amount” strikes me as being awfully weird.

But the logic of the sequence of actions is the real problem, just as it is in (A). So (B) is out, too.

Quote:

There are all sorts of little problems with this one. First, I don’t think it’s ideal to say that the 1972 agreement “reduces” the phosphate amount. The agreement reduced that amount when it took effect in the past – so it’s hard to argue that the present tense would work here.

Second, the phrase “phosphate amount” still strikes me as weird. I’m not certain that it’s 100% wrong, and I wouldn’t eliminate (C) solely because of it. But “the amount of phosphates” is clearly better.

Finally, I don’t understand why we would use the present perfect “have been allowed to dump” in this sentence, particularly since it’s accompanied by the present tense “reduces.” “Have been allowed” suggests that the action started in the past and continues in the present. So the sentence is literally saying that municipalities “have been allowed” to dump a certain amount beginning in the past, but only because of a 1972 agreement… which “reduces” that amount only in the present? That doesn’t make sense.

So (C) is out.

Quote:

I know: this one doesn’t sound great. Why are we mixing the past tense with the present tense in this particular case? Superficially, it just doesn’t seem right.

But keep in mind that the simple present tense in English just describes a general characteristic. If we say “Mike surfs like a champion”, that doesn’t necessarily mean that Mike is surfing right now; it just means that he has the general characteristic of surfing like a champion.

So in this case, “the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump” is completely fine: it’s a general statement of how much the municipalities can dump. And back in the past – specifically in 1972 – the agreement reduced that amount to its current levels. So the past tense “reduced” makes sense, and so does the present tense “are allowed.”

It might make us squirm a bit, but we have no reason to eliminate (D).

Quote:

Again, “reduces” doesn’t make a lot of sense here, for the same reasons as we mentioned in answer choice (C). Plus, what the heck is going on with the phrase “allowed for dumping by municipalities”? This is a weird passive construction, and it’s far less clear than “municipalities are allowed to dump.”

So (E) is out, and (D) is the best we can do.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2033 [0], given: 462

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: QOTD: A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 18:31
i am thinking D. Can someone please explain?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 74

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

My explanation:

First Split is between reduced and reduces. IMO both are fine as long as the further verbs in the sentence make sense.

This is definitely wrong. You need that after phosphate amount to describe that the amount is reduced. Moreover there is SV error. Amount --> Have been.

Way too wordy. Allowed for dumping by municipalities.

This changes the meaning. Original sentence says agreement reduced the amount of phosphates that was ALLOWED. So agreement has reduced the maximum limit, not the actual amount that municipalities had been dumping!

For me its a tough call between A and D. The split is past perfect vs simple present. I would go with D for 2 reasons.

1. The actions [ reducing the amount, municipalities allowed to dump] does not need to be in sequence.
2. Past perfect tense implies that the action happened before but the effect is still present. Whereas in this case, municipalities will still continue to dump the phosphates but in reduced amount.

Waiting for expert's comments.

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 74

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 47

Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: General Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 23:48

C, E out since event happened in the past.
Eliminate B because actually agreement couldn't reduce the waste that already was dumping

I would go for D instead of A because of the same reason as above.

There has been a discussion here https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-1972-agree ... 9-420.html but I still cannot find any simple explanation.

Waiting for expert's

+1 kudos if you find my posts helpful

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 47

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 74

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 23:55
I would go with D.(reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump)
Reduced the amount is correct here because agreement was signed in 1972.
Are allowed is correct because it the controlling the dumping in the present.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 74

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 00:16
I'll go with A

=> the best
=> I think "that municipalities ..." should refer to "phosphates"
and "had been dumping" is not appropriate tense (the dumping action was happening while they are trying to reduce the phosphates amount"

=> reduces: inappropriate tense with time indicator "A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States"
=> are allowed: inappropriate tense with event sequence
=> reduces: inappropriate tense with time indicator "A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States"

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 01:07
Option A uses past perfect tense, which is not required under the given situation.
Hence, Option D is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 101

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 02:28
A tough call between A and D. I fell for A , but here is why I feel D should be the answer :

The point of contention is whether or not past perfect tense is justified in this case. It is not - because the two actions talked about : reduced and allowed are not in sequence here. Municipalities are still being allowed to draw after a reduced amount that was set in 1972. The sequencing is corrected by removing past perfect form. Hence option D.

" The few , the fearless "

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 02:39
People refer this link ... https://e-gmat.com/blog/official-guide- ... canada-and

" The few , the fearless "

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 177

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 10:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
D wins.

(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump - Its more about logical meaning - Municipalities are still dumping phosphates. 'Had been' says prior to 1972 municipalities were dumping reduced amount - that is illogical. If amount was already reduced then why an agreement was held?
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping - allowed is missing, and amount of phosphate is correct

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 177

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V32
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 17:43
IMO D.

Only D articulates proper tenses.
Here the agreement is in 1972 hence active verb 'reduce' should be in past tense. 'Reduced' is correct.
The use of past perfect continuous is incorrect because 'dumping' continues in the present. hence 'are' is the correct usage

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 89

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 10:59

Its clearly a 3:2 split. As its a 1972 agreement, therefore reduces is not in the correct tense. We need a simple past tense not the simple present tense. Therefore, options C and E are eliminated.

Also, the amount of phosphates is a bit more clearer than phosphate amount. Though its not a deterministic error.

Also, allowed to dump is preferred over allowed for dumping.

If the municipalities had been allowed to dump means they were not dumping anymore during the passage of the agreement than what is the agreement for. The meaning is NON SENSICAL. Incorrect.

If the municipalities had been allowed to dump means they were not dumping anymore during the passage of the agreement than what is the agreement for. The meaning is NON SENSICAL. Incorrect.

Are allowed to dump is a simple present tense in passive form and it is used to state a general fact. This usage is correct. Because the passage of agreement reduced the amount of phosphates which municipalities are generally allowed to dump.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 89

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1359

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 22:55
I am caught off guard that many people choose A.
A changes the meaning b/c "had" indicates that the dumping occurred before the the agreement took place.

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1359

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 05:44
:thumbup: IMO D
correct tense usage

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: QOTD: A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2017, 05:44

QOTD: A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap