GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

QOTD: Aldolase is a protein found

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Aldolase is a protein found  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 10:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:30) correct 28% (01:38) wrong based on 725 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 19: Critical Reasoning

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Aldolase is a protein found in the brain. In an experiment, subjects who consistently chose sweetened drinks when offered a choice between salty and sweetened drinks were found, on average, to have significantly higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains than subjects who consistently chose salty drinks over sweetened drinks. Thus, an increase in the level of Aldolase in the brain is likely to cause an increase in cravings for sweetened drinks.

Which one of the following, if true, most supports the argument?

(A) Craving sweetened drinks does not invariably result in a subject’s choosing those drinks over salty drinks.
(B) The brains of the subjects who consistently chose to drink sweetened drinks did not contain significantly more sugar than the brains of subjects that consistently chose salty drinks.
(C) The chemical components of Aldolase are present in sweetened drinks.
(D) The subjects that preferred sweetened drinks had higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains before they were offered sweetened drinks.
(E) In a study of subjects who drank one sweetened drink per day for an entire year, the concentrations of Aldolase in the brains of most subjects gradually increased over the course of the year.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Aldolase is a protein found  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 10:21
This is a classic correlation vs. causation CR question. And as always, I like to start with a nice, clear restatement of the conclusion:
Quote:
Thus, an increase in the level of Aldolase in the brain is likely to cause an increase in cravings for sweetened drinks.

This is strong, clear causal language: Aldolase causes the increase in cravings for sweetened drinks. And what's the reasoning given in the passage itself? Really, it's just one sentence that leads to the conclusion:

Quote:
In an experiment, subjects who consistently chose sweetened drinks when offered a choice between salty and sweetened drinks were found, on average, to have significantly higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains than subjects who consistently chose salty drinks over sweetened drinks.

The author assumes that Aldolase is the cause of the cravings for sweetened drinks, but as is often the case in correlation vs. causation questions, we might wonder if the direction of causality could also be reversed. The author says that Aldolase causes the cravings, but why couldn't the consumption of sweetened drinks lead to higher concentrations of Aldolase in the brain instead?

The question is just asking us to strengthen the conclusion ("an increase in the level of Aldolase in the brain is likely to cause an increase in cravings for sweetened drinks.") One way to strengthen the conclusion might be to eliminate the possibility of a "causal reversal": that the sweetened drinks cause the increase in Aldolase in the brain, instead of Aldolase causing an increase in cravings for sweetened drinks. Also notice that we do not need a statement that PROVES that the conclusion is true; rather, we need a statement that SUPPORTS the argument.

Quote:
(A) Craving sweetened drinks does not invariably result in a subject’s choosing those drinks over salty drinks.

Statement (A) is tempting at first! At first glance, it seems it seems to eliminate the "causal reversal" we discussed above. The trouble is, (A) only addresses the link between craving sweetened drinks and choosing those drinks; it does nothing to link Aldolase to the cravings or the consumption of sweetened drinks. And as we'll see in a moment, (D) is a much stronger answer.

Quote:
(B) The brains of the subjects who consistently chose to drink sweetened drinks did not contain significantly more sugar than the brains of subjects that consistently chose salty drinks.

The argument discusses the concentration of Aldolase in the brains of subjects, but the amount of sugar in subjects' brains is irrelevant to the argument. We can eliminate (B).
Quote:

The argument claims that Aldolase in the brain causes subjects to crave sweetened drinks. Whether Aldolase is present in the drinks themselves is irrelevant to the argument. And even if we (improperly!) assume that drinking "the chemical components of Aldolase" leads to increased Aldolase in the brain, then this would work against the argument, since it would suggest that drinking sweetened drinks causes higher levels of Aldolase in the brain. Either way, (C) is gone.

Quote:
(D) The subjects that preferred sweetened drinks had higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains before they were offered sweetened drinks.

The answer strengthens the argument by eliminating the possibility that the stated causal relationship is reversed: if the subjects had higher concentrations of Aldolase prior to taking the sweetened drinks, then the sweetened drinks cannot be the cause of the higher concentration of Aldolase. This does not PROVE that the conclusion is true, but it certainly supports the argument.

Quote:
(E) In a study of subjects who drank one sweetened drink per day for an entire year, the concentrations of Aldolase in the brains of most subjects gradually increased over the course of the year.

(E) hurts the argument by suggesting that the causal relationship in the conclusion is reversed: if (E) is true, then drinking sweetened drinks would increase Aldolase levels in the brain, instead of the other way around.

So (D) is our answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: EDHEC (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 10:27
I think that it's D.

A e B are irrelevant
C and E weaken the argument because suggest that are the sweetened drinks that increase Aldolase.

Is my reasoning correct?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Kellogg '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 11:02
I think it's A as it nullifies an alternate explanation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 11:05
Aldolase is a protein found in the brain. In an experiment, subjects who consistently chose sweetened drinks when offered a choice between salty and sweetened drinks were found, on average, to have significantly higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains than subjects who consistently chose salty drinks over sweetened drinks. Thus, an increase in the level of Aldolase in the brain is likely to cause an increase in cravings for sweetened drinks.

Type - strengthen
Boil it down - increase in the level of Aldolase in the brain is likely to cause an increase in cravings for sweetened drinks.
Pre-thinking - consumption of sweetened drinks did not cause the level of aldolase in the brain to increase

(A) Craving sweetened drinks does not invariably result in a subject’s choosing those drinks over salty drinks. - Irrelevant
(B) The brains of the subjects who consistently chose to drink sweetened drinks did not contain significantly more sugar than the brains of subjects that consistently chose salty drinks. - Irrelevant as the argument does not mention about sugar content in the brain .
(C) The chemical components of Aldolase are present in sweetened drinks. - this is mild weakener as it tells that consumption of sweetened drinks might lead to increase in aldolase levels
(D) The subjects that preferred sweetened drinks had higher concentrations of Aldolase in their brains before they were offered sweetened drinks. - Correct
(E) In a study of subjects who drank one sweetened drink per day for an entire year, the concentrations of Aldolase in the brains of most subjects gradually increased over the course of the year. - the brain aldolase levels of regular consumers of sweetened drinks increase gradually - it is a mild weakener

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 18:48

More Aldolase---> Increase in cravings for sweetened drinks

Explanation:-
A. This statement says nothing about the conclusion. Incorrect.

B. We are not concerned about the sugar levels in the brains of the subjects who consistently chose to drink sweetened drinks and who chose to drink salty drinks. We are concerned about the correlation between aldolase level in brain and increase in cravings for sweetened drinks due to it. This doesn't support the argument. Incorrect.

C. This statement has no base in our argument. Also if chemical components of aldolase is present in the sweetened drinks then it might or might not increase the cravings for sweetened drinks. Incorrect.

D. This statement clearly compares the aldolase levels of subjects and proves that due to higher aldolase, some subjects chose sweetened drinks over salty drinks. Thus if aldolase levels in the brain increases, the subjects will have an increase in cravings for sweetened drinks --Correct

E. This doesn't support the argument in any way. Incorrect.
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 02:35
souvik101990 wrote:

This choice weakens the argument. If craving sweetened drinks doesn't result in choosing sweetened drinks over salty drinks, then an increase in the level of Aldolase in the brain could have no effect on a subject’s choosing sweetened drinks over salty drinks.

Irrelevant. The argument mentions about the level of Aldolase in the brain, not the level of sugar in the brain.

Irrelevan. The argument didn't mention anything about the level of Aldolase in these drinks.

Correct. This choice eliminates the case that drinking sweetened drinks leads to the increase in the level of Aldolase in the brain (reverse cause).

This choice fails in explaning that the level of Aldolase in the brain could effect a subject's behavior in choosing sweetened drinks over salty drinks.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 10:16
abhinit24 wrote:
I think it's A as it nullifies an alternate explanation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

If X can lead to Y. Then there is always a possibility of Z that can also lead to Y. Hence, Z leads to Y is not a weakener.

If X led to Y. Then Z led to Y is a weakener.

I hope that answers your question. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 20:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: QOTD: Aldolase is a protein found &nbs [#permalink] 07 Sep 2018, 20:01

QOTD: Aldolase is a protein found

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap