It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: During the tenure of Steve Jobs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 17016 [2], given: 1963

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: During the tenure of Steve Jobs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (00:52) correct 56% (00:56) wrong based on 400 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 75: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any large technology company in the world.

(A) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any

(B) memorable both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other

(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any

(D) who was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, Apple exceeded every other

(E) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17016 [2], given: 1963

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1590 [1], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
QOTD: During the tenure of Steve Jobs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This one is tricky! (And apologies to anybody who saw a version with some discrepancies between the original underlined portion and answer choice (A). The problem has been fixed.) If you get too mechanical with the word "which", you can get yourself into trouble here, especially if you're not paying obsessively close attention to the meaning of each of the answer choices.

Quote:
(A) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any

“Which” can’t modify a person, so you might automatically think that this one is wrong, since “which” seems to be modifying “Steve Jobs.” But as we discussed in our long-winded article about the many uses of “that” on the GMAT, it can be perfectly OK for a noun modifier (“that” or “which”, for example) to “reach behind” a prepositional phrase. So (A) is saying that “the tenure of Steve Jobs” was memorable for a couple of different reasons. That seems fine.

But there’s a different problem: “the growth of Apple exceeded any large technology company.” Nope. We can’t really compare the growth of Apple to “any large technology company.” (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) memorable both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other

There’s a nice, clear parallelism error here: “both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations.” “Both” is followed by a prepositional phrase, and “and” is followed by a noun, and that’s not OK. (B) is gone.

Quote:
(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any

I guess I’m OK with the modifier beginning with “who”, though I think it would make more sense if we modify the entire phrase “tenure of Steve Jobs”, instead of just Steve Jobs. But I guess it’s not DEFINITELY wrong to use “who” here.

The bigger problem is that the comparison at the end is just a tiny bit off. "That" is a singular pronoun referring back to "the growth", so then we have: “…the growth of Apple exceeded {the growth of} any technology company in the world.” This is subtle as hell, but Apple’s growth didn’t exceed the growth of any technology company – it exceeded the growth of any other technology company. Nasty! (And here’s an official question that has a similar issue, in case you think we’re inventing weird stuff.) So (C) is out.

Quote:
(D) who was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, Apple exceeded every other

As mentioned in (C), I’m not crazy about the use of “who” here, but again, I’m not sure that it’s wrong. The comparison at the end of the underlined portion is definitely wrong, though: it’s literally saying that Apple itself exceeded every other tech company, and that doesn’t make sense. (D) is gone.

Crap, I hope we like (E).

Quote:
(E) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other

Not bad! The phrase beginning with “which” correctly modifies “the tenure of Steve Jobs”, and that makes sense. And the comparison is finally better: “the growth of Apple exceeded {the growth of} any other large tech company…” That works. (E) is the answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1590 [1], given: 400

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: QOTD: During the tenure of Steve Jobs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 07:41
Really confused.

E is very tempting with the phrase "that of any other". However, "which" can not modify "Steve Jobs"

Finally go for D.

Waiting for the OA.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 116 [2], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 07:50
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any large technology company in the world.
There seems to be a typo error between and original question and option A.

Quote:

Here, the growth of apple is compared with every large tech company so on the basis of an incorrect comparison. A is out!

Quote:

I'm really not sure what this phrase 'memorable.....innovations' is modifying. I hope it's tenure, because if it's modifying the entire previous clause, it makes little sense. Plus, its in passive voice for no apparent reason. I'm going to knock this one OUT, as I think it's modification is ambiguous!

Quote:

We're talking about Steve Job's tenure, and not Steve Jobs himself so this modifier does not make any sense with the subordinate clause 'During the tenure of Steve Jobs'. I'll still keep this one, but I'm pretty sure, we need to modify tenure.

Quote:

Apple exceeded every other company in what sense? It's not clear in this sentence. This one is OUT!

Quote:

",which" modifier is correctly modifying tenure as 'of Steve Jobs' is an essential modifier, and there is a correct comparison between the growth of apple and the growth of any other large tech company.
This seems like a good contender.

Battle of C and E.
In C, we're modifying Steve Jobs with a relative modifier starting with 'who'
The original sentence is giving us more information about what his tenure was known for.

E is the answer for me :)
This SC made me sweat a little!

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 116 [2], given: 99

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 09:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was known for his dictatorial management style and for his innovative ventures, the growth of Apple Inc. exceeded any large technology company in the world.

Solution:

(A) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any- Comparison is wrong

(B) memorable both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other- Both X..and Y not ||;any other is the right idiom used in comparision

(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any- Any other is the right idiom used in comparision; modifier seems to modify Steve Jobs instead of tenure

(D) who was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, Apple exceeded every other- Growth of apple must be compared with growth of other companies

(E) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other- Correct

Hence E. :)

Press Kudos if this post helped !! :-D

Last edited by snjainpune on 05 Aug 2017, 22:40, edited 4 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 72

Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 10:59
I go with C.

In E which cannot refer to a person.

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 72

1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 952 [1], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 11:30
This post received
KUDOS

(A) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any - Incorrect comparison -

(B) memorable both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other - Awkward and passive

(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any - The growth of Apple can't exceed its own growth since any will include Apple too.

(D) who was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, Apple exceeded every other - unclear meaning - what of Apple exceeded every other

(E) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other - Correct

Answer E

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 952 [1], given: 72

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 206

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
For everyone confused between C and E:

C uses "...that of any" and E uses "...that of any other".

We have to use "Any other" (as in E) because if we use "any" (as in C), then we are comparing growth of apple to that of all the large technological companies-including Apple. And this is absurd. Apple's growth cannot exceed that of Apple.

Simple example:
The population of Tokyo exceeds that of any city in the world. We may say: any city's? really? even Tokyo's? Although this is normally correct in colloquial english, this is wrong sentence
The population of Tokyo exceeds that of any other city in the world. Oh, now by adding "other" we exclude Tokyo from the list of cities Tokyo is compared to.

This is why E is correct :)

Kudos [?]: 32 [1], given: 206

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 487

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
[quote="souvik101990"]

(A) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any. We need any other, also incorrect comparison-growth can't be compared to other companies

(B) memorable both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other:What a mess

(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any:Same as A

(D) who was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, Apple exceeded every other:Meaning change

(E) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other: Correct Answer
GMAT Ninja:My only question-In B, is it acceptable to say 'Both for A and B' or 'Both for A and for B'?Are both correct?

Kudos [?]: 71 [1], given: 487

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 206

Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 317 Q163 V154
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 01:21
KS15 wrote:
GMAT Ninja:My only question-In B, is it acceptable to say 'Both for A and B' or 'Both for A and for B'?Are both correct?

Thats a good point you noticed (we often tend to read whole sentence instead of reading the bits)
It should be either For Both A and B or Both for A and for B.

So Both for A and B will distort the meaning in the complete sentence.
Experts may second me if I am correct :)

Last edited by AkshayKS21 on 06 Aug 2017, 01:27, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 206

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 797 [0], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 01:24
AkshayKS21 wrote:
KS15 wrote:

Thats a good point you noticed (we often tend to read whole sentence instead of reading the bits)

So Both for A and B will distort the meaning in the complete sentence.
Experts may second me if I am correct :)

Yes, that's true.

The correct form is "Both X and Y", where X and Y MYST be ||.

In Both for A and B, X is starting a preposition while B is not. Hence, INCORRECT.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 797 [0], given: 64

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 01:27
AkshayKS21 wrote:
KS15 wrote:

So Both for A and B may distort the meaning in the complete sentence.
But here in this sentence it doesn't distort the meaning.

Experts may second me if I am correct!

You can thank me with kudos :wink:

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 487

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 95

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 01:40

(A) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any-- on first glance one would be tempted to eliminate this in a rush. but attention needs to be paid that the restrictive modifier here is modifying the tenure of Steve jobs- NOT STEVE JOBS HIMSELF. Hold onto this option.

(B) memorable both for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other - issues in second clause the growth of Apple was exceeded by that of no other company in the world.

(C) who was memorable for his dictatorial management style and his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any - DELETE, who cannot be employed for describing "tenure"

(D) who was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, Apple exceeded every other- delete same reason as C

(E) which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other- seems alright.

Comparing A and E
A) growth of apple exceeded any large technology company in the world. Comparison error - comparison between growth of a company and company is WRONG. Delete.

E) the growth of Apple exceeded that of any other- No comparision error as comparison is between growth of apple and "that" of any other company.

CORRECT ANSWER IS E

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 95

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 285 [1], given: 163

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 04:30
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
[

Dear souvik101990
There is something wrong in the question.

Choice A should match the original senescent. However, it missed "ventures" a word and replaces by another word "products". Also you have added this word in all choices.

Kudos [?]: 285 [1], given: 163

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 17

Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GPA: 3.05
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Shouldnt Choice A match the original underlined part?

Sometimes you have to burn yourself to the ground before you can rise like a phoenix from the ashes.

Dr. Pratik

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 17

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1590 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 21:23
Just wanted to apologize for the error in the original version of the question! The original underlined portion should always match answer choice (A), and it always will on the GMAT.

The mistake has been fixed in the original question, and the official explanation reflects the correct version.

Enjoy!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1590 [0], given: 400

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 22:42
souvik101990 wrote:

During the tenure of Steve Jobs, which was memorable as much for his dictatorial management style as for his groundbreaking product innovations, the growth of Apple exceeded any large technology company in the world.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

A is wrong as it compares growth with any company

B there is a parallelism error and " the growth of Apple exceeded that of no other" changes meaning that growth of apple exceeded no other company .

C relative phrase can not describe the tenure hence incorrect

D same as C and what apple exceeded other companies in ?

E correct relative phrase correctly modifies the tenure and comparison is correct .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 10:43
:-D IMO E

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: QOTD: During the tenure of Steve Jobs   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2017, 10:43

QOTD: During the tenure of Steve Jobs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap