GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

QOTD: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 21:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (00:57) correct 30% (01:02) wrong based on 431 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 266: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans, above which the sensitivity begins to differ.

(A) Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans

(B) Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

(C) Compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is remarkably similar

(D) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, when compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, is remarkably similar

(E) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 21:05
Quote:
A. Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans

(A) sounds pretty good! But it’s wrong, anyway.

For starters, the comparison is off: the phrase “monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans…” literally compares “hearing sensitivity” to humans themselves. And that doesn’t make sense: we’d need to compare the hearing sensitivities of the various creatures.

Plus, the non-underlined portion, “above which the sensitivity begins to differ” should modify the “range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz.” Ideally, those two phrases should be next to each other, and they aren’t in (A).

So (A) is gone.

Quote:
B. Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

(B) has lots of tasty problems. The comparison is still wrong: “humans” themselves are being compared to “the hearing sensitivity” of monkeys and marmosets.

There’s also a nice subject-verb error: “the hearing sensitivity… ARE remarkably similar…” Nope, that’s bad.

We can eliminate (B), too.

Quote:
C. Compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is remarkably similar

We still have a clean comparison error here: “compared to humans… the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets…” Nope, that still compares humans themselves to the hearing sensitivity of these other creatures. Not cool.

(C) is out.

Quote:
D. The hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, when compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, is remarkably similar

Once again, it doesn’t really make sense to compare “the hearing sensitivity” to humans themselves. Basically, (D) repeats the same mistake as the previous three answer choices.

Plus, I don’t really like the use of “when” in this situation: “when compared to” suggests that the hearing sensitivities are similar only in the exact moment when they’re being compared to each other – and that really doesn’t make sense. That’s subtle, but there are a few other official GMAT questions that misuse the word “when,” so I figure that the issue deserves a quick mention.

Finally, the modifier in the non-underlined portion (“above which the sensitivity begins to differ”) should ideally be placed right next to “the range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz”. And that’s not happening in (D).

So we have lots of reasons to eliminate (D).

Quote:
E. The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

This looks fine. The comparison is now clear at the beginning of the sentence: humans, monkeys, and marmosets all have similar hearing sensitivities. The non-underlined modifier (“above which the sensitivity begins to differ”) is right next to the thing it modifies (“a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz”).

So (E) is our answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 21:49
IMO E

The relative pronoun 'which' correctly refers to the frequency

Waiting for detailed explanation from GmatNinja

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos please if explanation helped
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't stop when you are tired , stop when you are DONE .

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: XLRI
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V19
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 23:36
Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans, above which the sensitivity begins to differ.

A. Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans
non underlined portion talks about frequencies- so noun modifier issue and comparing hearing sensitivity of monkeys to humans. Illogical.
B. Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz
Comparing humans to hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, non sensical.
C. Compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is remarkably similar
Comparing humans to hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, non sensical.
D. The hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, when compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, is remarkably similar
When Compared to is not idiomatic.
E. The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz
Correct,
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 04:46
My answer is E.
I chose E because the other options (options A-D) inappropriately draws a comparison between ‘the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets’ and ‘humans’.
Option E draws a comparison between ‘the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and mamosets’ and ‘the hearing sensitivity of humans’

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 05:40
A - hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is compared to humans instead of humans'.
B, C, D- same issue as A
E - incorrect comparison eliminated.
Uses the correct form: hearing sensitivity of X, Y and Z.
The non underlined part starting from above which correctly modifies 5000 Hz.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 05:51
Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans, above which the sensitivity begins to differ.[/quote]

We need a numerical value before " comma + above. So A, C, and D are out. In B, S-V error.

Hence (E)

(E)

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 07:57
IMO Straight E. rest all choices are not comparing right thing.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 02:32
+1 for option E.

The question hinges on comparison. Logically the only comparison possible is - hearing sensitivities of humans , monkeys , and marmosets. Only option E fits the bill.

" The few , the fearless "

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V147
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 11:32
A,B,C,D ... all the options have comparision error. Hearing sensitivity of monkeys is compared to humans.. This is wrong.

Hence E is our option

23 Kudos left to unlock next level. Help me by Contributing one for cause :) .. Please

My failed GMAT experience ... https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-bad-experience-640-need-suggestions-on-verbal-improvement-251308.html

My review on EmpowerGMAT : https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/empowergmat-online-course-345355767

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 14:55
GMATNinja wrote:
Plus, I don’t really like the use of “when” in this situation: “when compared to” suggests that the hearing sensitivities are similar only in the exact moment when they’re being compared to each other – and that really doesn’t make sense. That’s subtle, but there are a few other official GMAT questions that misuse the word “when,” so I figure that the issue deserves a quick mention.

GMATNinja, I don't understand this. It seems that 'when' is being used to mean 'in what circumstances'; that circumstance being compared to human hearing sensitivity within that defined range. Using different ranges, say 6000-7000, may not be comparable. Do you have other examples handy to explain misuse?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 06:18
Hi, Isn't there a subtle meaning change in option E? It seems that the comparison is between the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets with that of humans. But as E is worded, it seems to compare the hearing sensitivity of the 3 -> monkeys vs. marmosets vs. humans. For example, we could infer the meaning that above 5kHz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets starts to differ, whereas it seems to me thats not what the original intent (Monkeys/Marmosets hearing vs. Hearing of humans) was.
Please help clarify.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 07:32
vvijay26 wrote:
Hi, Isn't there a subtle meaning change in option E? It seems that the comparison is between the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets with that of humans. But as E is worded, it seems to compare the hearing sensitivity of the 3 -> monkeys vs. marmosets vs. humans. For example, we could infer the meaning that above 5kHz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets starts to differ, whereas it seems to me thats not what the original intent (Monkeys/Marmosets hearing vs. Hearing of humans) was.
Please help clarify.

I concur with what you said, option E indeed implies that above 5,000 Hz the hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets and humans starts to differ. GMAT doesn't ask you to preserve the original meaning, so you can play around with the original meaning as long as it conveys a logical and grammatically correct idea.
There are some glaring errors in other options:
1) "above which the sensitivity begins to differ" - seems to modify humans - INCORRECT
2) Humans compared to hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets - INCORRECT
3) Humans compared to hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets - INCORRECT
4) Humans compared to hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets - INCORRECT
5) This correctly compares the hearing sensitivities of monkeys, marmosets and humans and as you pointed out this sentence conveys the idea that above 5,000 hz the hearing sensitivities of all the 3 starts to differ - CORRECT
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 08:20
vvijay26 wrote:
Please help clarify.

The hearing sensitivity
of
monkeys,
marmosets,
and humans
is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

Hope it helps,
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 11:10

A. Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans --Incorrect comparison between sensitivity and humans

B. Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz --Incorrect comparison between sensitivity and humans

C. Compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is remarkably similar --Incorrect comparison between sensitivity and humans

D. The hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, when compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, is remarkably similar --Incorrect comparison between sensitivity and humans

E. The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz --Correct

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 20:39
Non underline part contains text "above which ... Differ"

Means just before that we need something so that it makes perfect sense with it

B and E does exactly that

B is incorrect as humans are compared with hearing capacity of monkeys so E is correct

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V30
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 5: 740 Q51 V39
GMAT 6: 740 Q49 V44
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 20:18
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 266: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

(A) Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, monkeys and marmosets have a hearing sensitivity remarkably similar to humans

(B) Compared to humans, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets are remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

(C) Compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, the hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets is remarkably similar

(D) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys and marmosets, when compared to humans over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz, is remarkably similar

(E) The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

The hearing sensitivity of monkeys, marmosets, and humans is remarkably similar over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz....

Could anyone please explain the use of singular verb 'is',in this correct answer choice, for referring to sensitivity of three animals?

Everything is in flux, nothing stays still

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 22:00
The subject here is "hearing sensitivity" - singular, hence singular verb "is".

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V30
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 5: 740 Q51 V39
GMAT 6: 740 Q49 V44
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 02:50
SWAT09 wrote:

Why 'hearing sensitivity' of three animals is singular? Why isn't it used in plural form i.e. sensitivities??

Everything is in flux, nothing stays still

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 03:06
Blackishmamba wrote:
SWAT09 wrote:

Why 'hearing sensitivity' of three animals is singular? Why isn't it used in plural form i.e. sensitivities??

words in prepositional phrases do not serve as subjects, except when quantity is expressed.
ex. The box of nails is on the table. The pack of cards is on the floor... subjects are box and pack.

Exception : When expressing quantity,
ex. Some of the stones, which were thrown by Sam in Thames, were round in shape.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Re: QOTD: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz &nbs [#permalink] 01 Aug 2018, 03:06

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

QOTD: Over a range of frequencies from 100 to 5,000 hertz

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap