GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Quality RC Materials?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Quality RC Materials?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2019, 19:17
Hello all,

All time lurker, first time poster here. I just gave my first GMAT attempt today, and got 720 (V38 Q49). I was completely thrown off in terms of time management: I was on time at Q10, but at Q19 I had only 24 mins left when my goal should be 33 mins. I’ve almost completely given up at this point, ended up guessing 3-4 CRs and didn’t read at all my last RC article.

RC was what I ended up spending WAY more time, and having done all official GMAT preps (including exam packs) and OG2019 I really felt the articles and questions on the real test felt VERY different.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or is it just my nerves getting to me? More importantly, as I need to re-gauge my RC levels, what are some quality RC materials?

My goal is V42 and I plan to retake in a couple of months. I have to be honest and say that I didn’t study RC too much as it never occurred to me I should—I almost always get 0-1 RC question wrong in one mock. But now I will put the majority of energy into RC.

It’s just frustrating when you’ve never been told you suck in this area but it’s a million miles from reality... please help, I really appreciate any suggestions.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Quality RC Materials?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 07:33
Hi shulalawoolala

congratulations for your score, and wish for you more improvement.
From your performance in your mock regarding the RC, one can perceive that you are doing great. You may just need to organize a strategy to deal with RC, and train yourself on it till you find yourself executing it in a mechanical way.

An important advice to highlight is regarding the common Mistakes with RC:
1. Not following a strategy or changing it on the test - biggest issue
2. Poor English vocabulary/skills - if you don't know what you are reading, how do you expect to answer the questions?
3. Taking too much time to answer each question
4. Having to re-read the passage multiple times

for RC materials and strategy:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html#p572735
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s-reading-comprehension-strategy-guide-83101.html#p622849
P
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 08:22
Congratulations on that stellar score!

I would recommend developing a reading habit in particular areas of topics that seem off-putting. This will help familiarize yourself with dry passages and give you the opportunity to give the exam with a new perspective.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 09:46
shulalawoolala wrote:
Hello all,

All time lurker, first time poster here. I just gave my first GMAT attempt today, and got 720 (V38 Q49). I was completely thrown off in terms of time management: I was on time at Q10, but at Q19 I had only 24 mins left when my goal should be 33 mins. I’ve almost completely given up at this point, ended up guessing 3-4 CRs and didn’t read at all my last RC article.

RC was what I ended up spending WAY more time, and having done all official GMAT preps (including exam packs) and OG2019 I really felt the articles and questions on the real test felt VERY different.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or is it just my nerves getting to me? More importantly, as I need to re-gauge my RC levels, what are some quality RC materials?

My goal is V42 and I plan to retake in a couple of months. I have to be honest and say that I didn’t study RC too much as it never occurred to me I should—I almost always get 0-1 RC question wrong in one mock. But now I will put the majority of energy into RC.

It’s just frustrating when you’ve never been told you suck in this area but it’s a million miles from reality... please help, I really appreciate any suggestions.

Posted from my mobile device

Congratulation on your awesome score :thumbup:
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 11:08
Hi shulalawoolala

First off, a 720/Q49 is an outstanding score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is probably not necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 18:52
Hi shulalawoolala

First off, great work with the 720! That said, based on your post, it seems as though you may need to improve your RC skills. Would you like some general advice on how to do so?

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Quality RC Materials?   [#permalink] 20 May 2019, 18:52

Quality RC Materials?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep