Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31917 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31917 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Quant Score Dropping. Help, please! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mahrah wrote:
chetan2u,

That's the thing. I was feeling burnt out even before I took the exam. :(

I have used up all GMATPrep exams - the two free ones, Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2.

Also, I learnt recently that the GMAT exam is changing from April 16th - both quant and verbal sections are becoming shorter with fewer number of questions. Do you think the Quant section scoring will be affected at all?

Finally, should I get the ESR report? If so, for which exam - the one with Q49 or Q46? Also, do we have to buy ESR separately for each exam?

Thanks!

At the level of 49, it should not make an effect although the time per question may go down by a few seconds..
It may be worth getting an ESR to know your weak areas and ofcourse the latest ones. Dont get disheartened and start the prep with fresh mind after a short break if required.
Let me know here or PM me if any help required
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
mahrah wrote:
I need a 50 or 51 because the program I applied to said I need to be in a higher percentile ranking and that the Quant score of 49 was not good enough.
Which school is this that needs more than Q49, and why do you think they would not be happy with a Q49?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mahrah wrote:
Dear bb, Bunuel, chetan2u, VeritasPrepKarishma,

To give you all a brief background, I took the GMAT in Feb 2016 and got a Quant score of 48. I retook the GMAT in Feb 2018 and got a Quant score of 49. I just retook it again yesterday and got a score of 46 so I, of course, cancelled my score.

I need a 50 or 51 because the program I applied to said I need to be in a higher percentile ranking and that the Quant score of 49 was not good enough.

My performance has stopped making sense to me. On the most recent exam, I also got a IR score of 8 and Verbal 42 without any practice, whereas, I have spent all my time practicing Quant. I was doing SO much better on practice tests. On the actual exam, I did have anxiety and felt rushed on the second half of the test.

I know I need to do something differently but I don't know what. I feel very disheartened and am almost beginning to lose my mind about what I am doing wrong in my prep. Any advice would be much appreciated from both the experts and folks who have taken and exam and are active on the forum.

Also, I am unable to gauge my improvement through official GMATPrep CATs because I have done them all twice or thrice. How do you suggest I gauge improvement?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Sorry to hear about your Quant troubles! Q49 is a great score and not very different from 50/51. On a good day, you could easily end up with a Q50. That said, the skill required to earn these last 2 points is the hardest to master - at this level, it really is just a mind game. Believe that every question is based on the fundamentals that you are already very good at - the puzzle is just which ones and how to apply them. Also, do not waste too much time on one question. If you are short on time later, you will struggle to complete even the easiest questions and that could mess up your score. So keep a cool head, believe in your ability and take some more practice tests. Thrash out the areas in which you are still making mistakes and then give the test another shot.

You could get your most recent ESR though I doubt it will add much value. The Arithmetic and Algebra/Geometry split hardly tells you anything. Other sections were obviously brilliant so no value add needed there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much for the advice, chetan2u and VeritasPrepKarishma. I appreciate it very much.

I took a week long break to clear my head. Will start studying again soon.
GMAT Club Bot