It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Quant score has improved but verbal score got worse -- Please suggest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V27
CAT Tests
Quant score has improved but verbal score got worse -- Please suggest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 09:46
Hello All,

I attempted GMAT for the second time yesterday. In my first attempt I got 44 in Quant and 31 in Verbal. In my second one, I got 49 in Quant but 27 only in verbal. My improvement in Quant is absolutely due to GMAT Club tests. Had I not enrolled, my quant score may not have improved.

I spent too much time on one of the reading comprehensions early in the test and had to rush for the remainder of the test, effecting my accuracy.

I have a tendency to directly look for grammatical mistakes before understanding the sentence, and I tried to stay away from that practice until I hit a long passage after which I was a little disappointed and fell back to my old practice unintentionally. Though I realized my weakness, I believe I lacked the proper practice to get over it.

As part of my preparation, I used MGMAT SC and PowerScore CR. I have not done much practice on reading comprehension. I have enhanced score reports of both my tests and will attach them shortly.

Could any of you please suggest me with a proper plan in order to improve. Part of me is saying that I need to get into a habit of reading more as I hardly read anything unless id directly relates to my technical job.

Where should I start to cultivate a reading habit to enhance my speed, vocabulary and accuracy.

I have 10 years of IT experience and my goal is to enroll in Booth or Kellogg as a part time evening/weekend student.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Arvind.

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V27
CAT Tests
Re: Quant score has improved but verbal score got worse -- Please suggest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 10:00
Attached is my ESR (latest test on 31 Aug 17)
Attachments

Arvind Sripada_316640623_ESR.pdf [431.33 KiB]
Downloaded 22 times

To download please login or register as a user

Director
Director
D

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 111

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Quant score has improved but verbal score got worse -- Please suggest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 11:19
arvind9733 wrote:
Attached is my ESR (latest test on 31 Aug 17)

Hi arvind9733,

Here are my 2 cents:

Quant:
Looking at the Quant timing, you seem to spend more time on wrong question. Open the ESR from the provided link as a web page and bring the cursor on Red/Blue part of circles in "Time Management" Area, you would see Avg Time spent on right and wrong question per set. And as you know how many questions you got right of wrong, you will see exactly how much time is wasted on wrong questions. I am a little Surprised to see Q49 with 68% questions correct. Well that's because you tackled tough questions mostly - look at "Average Difficulty" Trend.

Verbal:
Similarly if you look at the Trend for Verbal, You did not get a chance to face too many tough questions and you got questions wrong that were not too difficult. hence a lower score on verbal. You really spend alot of time on wrong questions. Just see for the set-2 where you got 6/7 questions correct but still RED color got the most of the circle.

Overall you need to work on the wrong habit of sticking to a question for long if that is the case.

Here are how many questions you got right/wrong in each set:
Attachments

ESR Analysis.png
ESR Analysis.png [ 15.35 KiB | Viewed 257 times ]

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 111

Re: Quant score has improved but verbal score got worse -- Please suggest   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 11:19

Quant score has improved but verbal score got worse -- Please suggest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap