Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32952 [1]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Quantum Theory, although of tremendous scientific value, has neverthel [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
Harsh2111s wrote:
Quote:
4) Which of the following, if true, would most seriously undermine Bohr's conclusion about the physical reality of a quantum object?

a) The physical properties of particles and waves are inherently complementary.
b) Human intuition is not a factor in the interpretation of scientific data about quantum objects.
c) Results of experiments on quantum objects are sometime influenced by the expectations of the experiments.
d) The technology used in research on quantum objects has made tremendous advances since the 1920s.
e) Quantum objects posses distinct, continuously existing physical forms that do not depend on the experiments used to measure them.

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
I have doubt regarding option E.
Look at these lines from the passage
" he concluded that the physical reality of a quantum objects is actually determined before the object is observed via experiment."
When physical reality is already determined before experiment then even though quantum objects posses distinct forms that doesn't depend on experiments, it will have no effect on physical reality.
Option E supports Bohr's conclusion.
Please explain what I missed.

You are ignoring the first part of this sentence:

Physicists Niel Bohr argued that wave particle properties are not contradictory, but complementary. Contrary to our intuition that an object continues to exist in some determined form even though we cannot perceive it, he concluded that the physical reality of a quantum objects is actually determined before the object is observed via experiment.

What he concludes is contrary to "an object exists in some determined form". He says the physical reality is determined before being observed. It may not stay the same once we observe it.

e) Quantum objects posses distinct, continuously existing physical forms that do not depend on the experiments used to measure them
This is telling us that the object exists in some determined form. Bohr concluded against this. So this is against what Bohr says.

KarishmaB

The correct word in the second paragraph is "undetermined" in the actual GMAT Prep Passage. "... quantum objects is actually undetermined before the object is observed via experiment.". This is unfortunately incorrect in the passage pasted above. I could not get to the entire passage on GMAT prep yet because it is throwing me random passages. So, I came here to complete the passage altogether. Anyhow, it seems like C is wrong. Could you help me explain why? Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619260 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: Quantum Theory, although of tremendous scientific value, has neverthel [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Engineer1 wrote:
pragyakeshap wrote:
Quantum Theory, although of tremendous scientific value, has nevertheless prompted debate among physicists. The debate arose because quantum theory addresses the peculiar properties of minute objects such as photons and electrons. While one type of experiment shows that these objects behave like particles, with well-defined trajectories through space, another demonstrates that, on the contrary, they behave like waves, their peaks and troughs producing characteristic “interference” effects. However, scientists have failed to devise an experiment to demonstrate both behaviors simultaneously.

In the 1920s, two alternate interpretations of quantum theory attempted to resolve this apparently contradictory wave-particle duality. Physicists Niel Bohr argued that wave particle properties are not contradictory, but complementary. Contrary to our intuition that an object continues to exist in some determined form even though we cannot perceive it, he concluded that the physical reality of a quantum objects is actually determined before the object is observed via experiment.

Physicists Werner Heisenberg's “uncertainty principle”, by contrast, postulated that we cannot precisely determine two complementary properties, such as position and momentum, of a quantum object simultaneously: if we measure an object's position with absolute certainty, then there is an infinite uncertainty in its momentum, and vice versa. He concluded that although we are limited in our ability to measure objects at the atomic and subatomic levels, their position and momentum are nonetheless defined all along.

1) Which of the following does the passage mention as providing evidence of the dual nature of quantum objects?

a) Scientists' inability to measure the position and momentum of quantum objects simultaneously.
b) Scientists' inability to measure the momentum of the quantum objects with certainty.
c) The similarities in the appearance of particles and waves.
d) The tendency of quantum objects to exhibit well-defined trajectories only at either extremely high or extremely low speeds.
e) The behavior of quantum objects as either particles or waves depending on the type of experiment that is performed.

2) It can be inferred from the passage that if scientists were able to measure the position and momentum of quantum objects precisely and simultaneously, then the

a) theory that the dual properties of quantum objects are complementary would be proven.
b) basic postulate of the uncertainty principle would be refuted
c) distinction between particle behavior would cease to exist
d) debate about quantum theory among physicists would be unchanged.
e) trajectories of quantum objects through space would be more difficult to predict.

3) All of the following are mentioned in the passage as possible characteristics of quantum objects except:

a) a minute size
b) momentum
c) position in space
d) sporadic movement
e) wave like behavior

4) Which of the following, if true, would most seriously undermine Bohr's conclusion about the physical reality of a quantum object?

a) The physical properties of particles and waves are inherently complementary.
b) Human intuition is not a factor in the interpretation of scientific data about quantum objects.
c) Results of experiments on quantum objects are sometime influenced by the expectations of the experiments.
d) The technology used in research on quantum objects has made tremendous advances since the 1920s.
e) Quantum objects posses distinct, continuously existing physical forms that do not depend on the experiments used to measure them

5. Q. The passage suggests that the debate among physicists mentioned in the first sentence has arisen in part because

A. the rapid movement of quantum objects poses an insurmountable obstacle to precise measurement
B. scientists have been unable to devise a single experiment that reveals both particle and wave properties of quantum objects simultaneously
C. the controversial nature of quantum theory has made it difficult for scientists to agree on what evidence is acceptable
D. division among physicists has resulted in the design of experiments that produce unintelligible experimental results
E. research efforts have been undermined by irreconcilable contradictions between equally compelling interpretations of quantum theory

6. Which of the following best describes the organization of the passage?

A. A thesis is introduced and then amended.
B. Arguments are presented, weighed, and then reconciled.
C. A problem is described and different interpretations intended to resolve the problem are presented.
D. Hypotheses are analyzed, their premises are refuted, and alternatives are suggested to replace the hypotheses.
E. A theory is advanced, opposing evidence is considered, and the theory is abandoned.

ID 00139

bb Bunuel Sajjad1994 This is a great GMAT prep passage. One small word in the second paragraph needs to be corrected. Can you please change it -

"... he concluded that the physical reality of a quantum objects is actually undetermined before the object is observed via experiment."

Thank you!

Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Engineer1 wrote:
KarishmaB

The correct word in the second paragraph is "undetermined" in the actual GMAT Prep Passage. "... quantum objects is actually undetermined before the object is observed via experiment.". This is unfortunately incorrect in the passage pasted above. I could not get to the entire passage on GMAT prep yet because it is throwing me random passages. So, I came here to complete the passage altogether. Anyhow, it seems like C is wrong. Could you help me explain why? Thanks!

Well, that just makes it better and cleaner then. The answer is still in the same part of the same sentence,

Contrary to our intuition that an object continues to exist in some determined form even though we cannot perceive it, he concluded that the physical reality of a quantum objects is actually undetermined before the object is observed via experiment.

Our intuition says that an object continues to exist in some determined form even though we cannot perceive it. Bohr concluded against this intuition. This means that he says that an object does not exist in some determined form. There is no confusion here about 'before the experiment', 'during the experiment' or 'after the experiment.' With the changed wording, we are now given that he says that physical reality is undetermined before the object is observed so basically its all undetermined and we don't have to worry about the experiment.

e) Quantum objects posses distinct, continuously existing physical forms that do not depend on the experiments used to measure them.

This is opposite of what Bohr said and hence it undermines Bohr's conclusion.

"Expectations of the experiments" is not a concept discussed in the passage. Hence, I do not know how to evaluate this. So it can't be the answer. After all, I am not required to know Quantum theory to be able to answer the RC questions. I only have to pick info from the passage.

Hence (E) makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Engineer1 wrote:
KarishmaB

Well, that just makes it better and cleaner then. The answer is still in the same part of the same sentence,

Contrary to our intuition that an object continues to exist in some determined form even though we cannot perceive it, he concluded that the physical reality of a quantum objects is actually undetermined before the object is observed via experiment.

Our intuition says that an object continues to exist in some determined form even though we cannot perceive it. Bohr concluded against this intuition. This means that he says that an object does not exist in some determined form. There is no confusion here about 'before the experiment', 'during the experiment' or 'after the experiment.' With the changed wording, we are now given that he says that physical reality is undetermined before the object is observed so basically its all undetermined and we don't have to worry about the experiment.

This is opposite of what Bohr said and hence it undermines Bohr's conclusion.

"Expectations of the experiments" is not a concept discussed in the passage. Hence, I do not know how to evaluate this. So it can't be the answer. After all, I am not required to know Quantum theory to be able to answer the RC questions. I only have to pick info from the passage.

Hence (E) makes sense.

Yeah I see now. Basically, the answer choice should say something that refutes Neil Bohr's reasoning and strengthens our intuition that an object actually exists in determined form.
"..Quantum objects posses distinct, continuously existing physical forms."

On the other hand, I was thinking that before an experiment, we might expect an object proven to be in certain form as the outcome of experiment. The passage does not talk about what our expectations from experiment are. Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts