Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [4]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Engineering (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Engineering (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Question about parallel clauses [#permalink]
Kudos
ddrsquirrelz wrote:
Thanks for the clear answer! I have another question if you don't mind. In the 3rd example, can the word "that" be omitted?

"People use to think the earth was flat"

Is the above a valid sentence, or does it require the pronoun "that" to connect the two clauses?

It will require "that" to connect the two clauses.
Also note that the correct verb in above sentence should be "used", since things happened in the past.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ddrsquirrelz wrote:
Hi,

I have a question in regards to parallel clauses. Are the following sentences parallel?

"I like to eat, sleep and drink."
"John likes to swim, bike and play soccer"
"People use to think that the earth was flat and boats could fall off the edge of the map."

Or does the word "to" and "that" need to be repeated every time for the items in the list to be parallel?

"I like to eat, to sleep and to drink."
"John likes to swim, to bike and to play soccer."
"People use to think that the earth was flat and that boats could fall off the edge of the map."

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

Dear ddrsquirrelz,
I'm happy to respond. I see you have already gotten some good discussion in this thread.

What you asked is part of a larger parallelism pattern that I call the "Once Outside or Twice Inside" rule. See this blog for an explanation.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-paral ... ce-inside/

With infinitives, it tends to be awkward to repeat multiple "to's". If two infinitives are in parallel, we could go either way, but definitely with three infinitives in parallel (rare on the GMAT SC), we would drop the additional "to's" and opt for the "once outside" option. For example, here's a famous sentence from history with a whole lot of infinitive in parallel:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Keep in mind: it's rare that short infinitives, such as those in your examples appear on the GMAT. The GMAT is much more apt to put two long infinitive phrases in parallel, and if the infinitive phrase are long enough, the second "to" might appear to help the reader understand the organization of the sentence, where one infinitive phrase end and the next begins. While this blog doesn't have infinitive in parallel, the questions demonstrate some of the longer infinitive phrases likely to appear on the GMAT:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/the-infini ... orrection/

With clauses, theoretically would could do the "once outside" option, but for clarity, the GMAT almost always uses the "twice inside" option for the "that" of clauses.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I understand now, thanks a lot for the information!
GMAT Club Bot