Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Question of the week - 29 (N = a! * b! * c! * d!/e! ................)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 2942
Question of the week - 29 (N = a! * b! * c! * d!/e! ................)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Feb 2019, 21:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (03:19) correct 42% (02:55) wrong based on 69 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


e-GMAT Question of the Week #29


\(N = \frac{a! * b! * c! * d!}{e!}\) where a, b, c, and d, are four distinct positive integers, which are greater than 1, and a, e are two consecutive numbers, which are prime. What is the least possible value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\), if N is divisible by cube of product of the three smallest odd prime numbers?

    A. \(\frac{26}{3}\)

    B. 9

    C. \(\frac{21}{2}\)

    D. 13

    E. \(\frac{27}{2}\)

Image

_________________

Originally posted by EgmatQuantExpert on 28 Dec 2018, 04:02.
Last edited by EgmatQuantExpert on 27 Feb 2019, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 4237
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Question of the week - 29 (N = a! * b! * c! * d!/e! ................)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 05:13
given a * e are two consecutive prime integers which can only be 2 & 3 let a = 2 and e= 3

since we need to find least value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\) , if N is divisible by cube of product of three smallest odd prime no. which would be 3,5,7

so
\(N = \frac{a! * b! * c! * d!}{e! *(3*5*7)^3}\) should be divisible

for which value of b=7!, c=8!, d=9! would suffice the relation

so least value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\)
(2+7+8+9)/3 = 26/3 IMO A


EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
\(N = \frac{a! * b! * c! * d!}{e!}\) where a, b, c, and d, are four distinct positive integers, which are greater than 1, and a, e are two consecutive numbers, which are prime. What is the least possible value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\), if N is divisible by cube of product of the three smallest odd prime numbers?

    A. \(\frac{26}{3}\)

    B. 9

    C. \(\frac{21}{2}\)

    D. 13

    E. \(\frac{27}{2}\)

Image

_________________
If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Jan 2015
Posts: 2942
Re: Question of the week - 29 (N = a! * b! * c! * d!/e! ................)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 02:07

Solution


Given:
    • \(N = \frac{a! * b! * c! * d!}{e!}\)
    • a, b, c and d are four distinct positive integers, which are greater than 1
    • a, e are two consecutive numbers, which are prime
    • N is divisible by cube of product of the three smallest odd primes

To find:
    • The least possible value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\)

Approach and Working:
    • (a, e) = (2. 3). Since, (2, 3) is the only pair of numbers, which are prime

And, we are given that N is divisible by \(3^3 * 5^3 * 7^3\)
    • Thus, b, c and d must contain at least one 7, one 5 and one 3 each

So, the minimum value that (b, c, d) can take is (7, 8 , 9), since, 7! 8! and 9! Covers the powers f all prime numbers
    • Therefore, the minimum value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\) will be when a = 2 and e = 3
      o \(\frac{(2 + 7 + 8 + 9)}{3} = \frac{26}{3}\)

Hence the correct answer is Option A.

Answer: A

Image

_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 12 Sep 2017
Posts: 295
Re: Question of the week - 29 (N = a! * b! * c! * d!/e! ................)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 17:03
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

Solution


Given:
    • \(N = \frac{a! * b! * c! * d!}{e!}\)
    • a, b, c and d are four distinct positive integers, which are greater than 1
    • a, e are two consecutive numbers, which are prime
    • N is divisible by cube of product of the three smallest odd primes

To find:
    • The least possible value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\)

Approach and Working:
    • (a, e) = (2. 3). Since, (2, 3) is the only pair of numbers, which are prime

And, we are given that N is divisible by \(3^3 * 5^3 * 7^3\)
    • Thus, b, c and d must contain at least one 7, one 5 and one 3 each

So, the minimum value that (b, c, d) can take is (7, 8 , 9), since, 7! 8! and 9! Covers the powers f all prime numbers
    • Therefore, the minimum value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\) will be when a = 2 and e = 3
      o \(\frac{(2 + 7 + 8 + 9)}{3} = \frac{26}{3}\)

Hence the correct answer is Option A.

Answer: A

Image


Hello EgmatQuantExpert !

Could you please explain to me why are we choosing 7, 8 and 9, respectively?

Thank you in advance!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 07 Aug 2017
Posts: 79
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: Question of the week - 29 (N = a! * b! * c! * d!/e! ................)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 22:17
jfranciscocuencag wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

Solution


Given:
    • \(N = \frac{a! * b! * c! * d!}{e!}\)
    • a, b, c and d are four distinct positive integers, which are greater than 1
    • a, e are two consecutive numbers, which are prime
    • N is divisible by cube of product of the three smallest odd primes

To find:
    • The least possible value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\)

Approach and Working:
    • (a, e) = (2. 3). Since, (2, 3) is the only pair of numbers, which are prime

And, we are given that N is divisible by \(3^3 * 5^3 * 7^3\)
    • Thus, b, c and d must contain at least one 7, one 5 and one 3 each

So, the minimum value that (b, c, d) can take is (7, 8 , 9), since, 7! 8! and 9! Covers the powers f all prime numbers
    • Therefore, the minimum value of \(\frac{(a + b + c + d)}{e}\) will be when a = 2 and e = 3
      o \(\frac{(2 + 7 + 8 + 9)}{3} = \frac{26}{3}\)

Hence the correct answer is Option A.

Answer: A

Image


Hello EgmatQuantExpert !

Could you please explain to me why are we choosing 7, 8 and 9, respectively?

Thank you in advance!


Because for \(N\) to be divisible by \(3^3*5^3*7^3\), the numerator \(a!*b!*c!*d!\) has to be divisible by \(3^3*5^3*7^3\) and for this to happen the numerator should have atleast three instances of 3, 5 and 7 each. Therefore, we considered the numbers 7, 8 and 9 because they are the least numbers that when in factorial form will give you three instances of 7 and the instances of 3 and 5 will follow accordingly.


----------------------------------------------------------------
kudos if helpful!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Question of the week - 29 (N = a! * b! * c! * d!/e! ................)   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2019, 22:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Question of the week - 29 (N = a! * b! * c! * d!/e! ................)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne